Since "Level-5 Vision 2011" took place some time ago, we received some more info about this one...

post-63229-0-12737200-1402508315.jpg

Not much is known thus far, except that it's a role playing game from Level-5 and Mother 3 developer Brownie Brown.
As far as plot details are concerned, Fantasy Life revolves around the idea of a panicking world following a shadow that's come over the moon. Instead of rushing out to save the planet, however, you go about your everyday life. The theme of this Nintendo 3DS game is living life your own way by ways of an RPG.
According to Famitsu, Level-5 has at least 20 jobs for players to choose from. Pilot, carpenter, miner, chef, magician, lumberjack, scholar, merchant, fortune teller, blacksmith, soldier, hunter, postman, royal guard, alchemist, farmer, treasure hunter, tailor, fisherman, and street entertainer are all possible occupations in the world of Fantasy Life.

Animal Crossing with an RPG twist?

Teaser trailer:

Pictures:

fantasy-life-20101019084306435_640w.jpg

fantasy_life_002.jpg

fantasy-life-1.png

fantasy-life-6-big.png

0bhhv6E.png

There's an Earthbound-like charm oozing from those scrapped DS-version screenshots, which I'm not convinced has quite survived the translation to 3D. But, as someone who really enjoyed Animal Crossing the first time around and felt the subsequent sequels were disappointingly devoid of any innovation, I'm optimistic about this. Hopefully it does belong to the relaxing slice-of-life genre and does do something genuinely interesting with the idea.

I think the original 2D version of this, in terms of style and design anyway, is reflected in Layton's London Life which is included with the upcoming ProfLay & The Spectre's Call. AS LONG AS YOU LIVE IN THE US ANYWAY. :angry:

EDIT: This is purely supposition though, I basically just made it up because the 2 games looked similar.

There's an Earthbound-like charm oozing from those scrapped DS-version screenshots, which I'm not convinced has quite survived the translation to 3D. But, as someone who really enjoyed Animal Crossing the first time around and felt the subsequent sequels were disappointingly devoid of any innovation, I'm optimistic about this. Hopefully it does belong to the relaxing slice-of-life genre and does do something genuinely interesting with the idea.

Two screenshots that show this transition:

tumblr_lajtxf7uF91qzpbds.jpg

tumblr_lajtzpzO4i1qzpbds.jpg

• 9 months later...

Good ol' Harvest...

I knew you'd pop up in this thread sooner or later :)

My only concern is that the graphics will make it look too much like an NDS game - which is what it was before Level-5 decided to bring it out on the 3DS.

I guess we'll be seeing the final game this October, but I don't expect a Western release before Q3 2013, knowing Level-5's notoriously slow release schedule.

I think we'll have to make do with a new AC till then...

Famitsu recently unveiled some details about a few of the jobs available in Fantasy Life.

AGHyR.jpg50179d275512b.jpg50179d25e2716.jpg

As a Soldier/Knight your job will be keeping peace and harmony in the kingdom. Soldiers have to chase criminals, defeat monsters, and protect the village.

OEo74.jpg50179d2827698.jpg50179d27f090f.jpg

Wizards specialize in magic - obviously. They can create fireballs and heal friendly characters. It looks like Fantasy Life doesn’t really differentiate between white and black mages. Each job has a different mentor and if you pick this job a black cat named Krome teaches you the ways of the wizard.

W5cmc.jpg50179d275512b.jpg50179d27a8caa.jpg

Hunters are one with nature and can attack enemies from afar using a bow and arrows. These guys can also gather fruits and vegetables on the field and bring them back to town.

Pl4o0.jpg50179e07d9c4b.jpg50179d284f733.jpg

Mercenaries don’t belong to any country. They travel from place to place as a hired sword looking for their next job. Mercenaries live lives without ties. And remind me of a certain bull-knight...

Enemies? Fireballs? What?

Why aren't the job choices farmer, fisherman, postman, and shopkeeper?

According to Famitsu, Level-5 has at least 20 jobs for players to choose from. Pilot, carpenter, miner, chef, magician, lumberjack, scholar, merchant, fortune teller, blacksmith, soldier, hunter, postman, royal guard, alchemist, farmer, treasure hunter, tailor, fisherman, and street entertainer are all possible occupations in the world of Fantasy Life.

:quote:

So this isn't out in JPN yet is it? Is it likely to see a western release?

Out in Japan, this December. Out in Europe? Who knows? I'd say there's a fair chance, seeing as it's published by Level-5, and it's not too Japanese looking. But don't expect it any earlier than Q3 2013.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...