IGNORED

Sniping Madness!

squirtle

The bane of my gaming life for some time - enemy snipers in FPS. Nothing frustrates me more. Nothing grates more than getting to the obligatory sniping section in any given FPS. You know it's coming like when you get a bad head cold. You can feel the intrusion of snipers like a throbbing pain in the head.

Off the top of my head: Nightfire, Fire Warrior, Mace Griffin, Ghost Recon, XIII, Serious Sam, Timesplitters 2, Perfect Dark etc etc.

All of the above are crippled by omniscient snipers. It's not my idea of fun getting all my health whittle away by someone I cannot fucking see! Bastards. Inching forward only to hear Crack! Whee! Urgh! and see another portion of my health go! Arse candles! "Where the fuck are you!" These sections annoy the fuck out of me, far more than any stealth section ever has done.

So, yeah, that's my main bitch today. Sniper sections in FPS. To the depths of hell with them! Bastards!

PS This is another reason why Halo was so fucking good. No sniper sections. You got a sniper rifle, yeah, but at no point in the whole game was it absolutely necessary for progression. That's how it should be done.

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel.

(during play of generic FPS #42)

(takes peek around corner)

"no-one here by the looks of things"

(steps around corner)

"bang!!!"

(50% health drop)

(hides around corner again)

(takes peek again from a different angle)

"bang!!!"

(dies)

(loads last save)

This kind of thing has got to stop!

Not only are snipers a pain in the arse, but I've yet to play a game where the sniping section (where you are the sniper) is accurate.

We have some fantastic vehicle physics for driving simulations, yet with all the FPS's around, the bullet physics are still from the 8-bit days.

We have some fantastic vehicle physics for driving simulations, yet with all the FPS's around, the bullet physics are still from the 8-bit days.

Most of us can drive but I don't think there's a trained sniper in our number. If the rules in games were 100% authentic we'd die on level one all the time.

Ooooh.

I do love the Nightfire sniping level. The draw distance was very impressive, and the only downside was that you ahd to go were you shot. But that was cool enough thanks to your grappling hook! Sometimes, like in MGS, could can get away without sniping. That is, if you have a guided missle launcher, and a few spare rockets at hand.

The joy of broadband several years ago allowed me to exact sooooooooooooo much pain and revenge on those that had preyed upon my soul in my dial up days in Team Fortress.

9 times out of ten they didn't even know that they'd peered round the corner far enough to be seen until their gibs and brains were sprayed rather graphically over the walls around them.

Hitman 2 is pretty good for some meaty head shots.

And lets not forget the joy of becomming foliage in Ghost Recon. :o

Snipers rule.

And lets not forget the joy of becomming foliage in Ghost Recon. :o

Snipers rule.

Yeah, but my problem - especially with ghost recon is that I'm too impatient, we seem to have had endless live games where 50% of the players will lie motionless for the entire game in case someone appears in their scope. Meantime, I'm completely bored with waiting around so out I pop - and bang, that's my brains on the floor that it.

Much prefer the RTCW way of doing it, there might be an annoying sniper, but you can always get a team mate to go and sneak round behind him.

There's worse than snipers - how about people sniping you through the wall; Farsight anyone ?

You want realistic games? Then be prepared to pay the sniper.

The fact is that if you are playing a FPS, then the enemy has every right to use a man perched up a tree with an SVD ready to blow your block off from a click out.

Yes you can't see him that's the point of a sniper you see. They hide, shoot and then move to another area to shoot at you again.

They are very effective in demoralising the enemy and in making you scared to go out into the field.

I love playing against snipers. Tracking them down and then dropping a grenade up their tree or where they are hiding in the grass. Brilliant stuff.

Not only are snipers a pain in the arse, but I've yet to play a game where the sniping section (where you are the sniper) is accurate.

Try Delta Force 1 and 2..

Those rocked.. Specially with a Barrat .50.. Wind speed and stuff, curve of the earth.. bloody great fun.. I once made a 2K headshot ..

It was great fun IN MP.. Specialy in DF2 , where you had a Guillie Suit and nice grass to hide in.. You'd spend ages getting to a good spot, take your shot and then move onto the next spot. Some people would hunt you, and you'd spend ages tracking accross mountain ranges playing a cat and mouse game.

I see that you've yet to play Operation Flashoint then.

Too right, I was just about to post on Operation Flashpoints snipers/sniper rifles...

I love the different scopes on the rifles....

Too right, I was just about to post on Operation Flashpoints snipers/sniper rifles...

I love the different scopes on the rifles....

Do you play online then?

The M21 is easily the best, just for the zooming in and out. On the SVD I get pissed off because when I switch to optics, it zooms in so closely I get dizzy...

Sniping is great in multiplayer games. It doesn't really matter if you're the sniper or the snipee [sic]. The satisfaction of tracking some unknowing poor bastard around a while before taking him out almost, but not completely, rivals the satisfaction of finally sneaking up behind the sniper after having been killed by him three times and dropping a grenade on his sorry arse.

Sniping in single player, on the other hand, sucks. TimeSplitters 2 probably did it worst - the Chicago level in particular was completely ruined by the snipers. But more recently both Rainbow Six 3 and XIII feature some really annoying snipers.

If you want snipers in single player, then at least grant the player some advantage, such as a slightly longer field of vision.

Yeah squirtle but you also want realism.

If you have sniping weapons then chances are so does the enemy.

Although I want a game with the Steyr AMR. 4km range and it fires a 17.5mm fin-stabilised fletchette round.

*pulls trigger*

*BLAM*

Soon the enemy is dead and you are starting to make lunch.

And for the record - You have to pay the sniper is one of my best puns ever and you all ignored it. I hate you all.