IGNORED

Rllmuk racing wheel thread

TommyG

43 minutes ago, davejm said:

New rim has been released...

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-f1-esports-v2

Would be a good option if you didn't want the McLaren rim or the more expensive formula v2.5.

Interesting. Looks like it’s basically the old F1 Esports rim with removable QR1 bolted on to it instead of the non-removable moulded in QR.  As the QR1 costs 100 Eur, this is sort of cheaper than the McLaren one, if you weren’t happy with the plastic QR Lite.

And on that note, my QR lite is.. a little clunky at the moment, as in it makes a clunky noise when the forces push the wheel from 1 direction to the other. I feel the noise is perhaps amplified by the hollowness of the McLaren rim too

12 hours ago, davejm said:

This new rim has the magnetic shifters too, which are fantastic (and miles quieter than the ones on the McLaren rim).

They are indeed noisy, but there's an easy DIY fix for it. Just get some self-adhesive felt (or foam weather strips, which is what I used), take the shifter paddle off (really easy to do) and stick the felt/foam strip in the spots shown in this vid:

I love the feel (and clack...) of the McLaren shifters.  I'm sure the MNRC bunch love it too via the chat 😅

On the other hand, my McLaren rim (or the QR Lite attached to it) is clunking when the force feedback changes direction.  Everything looks fine, nothing broken, Fanatec have offered me a return for further investigation, which I might well take them up on.

Also, UPS are estimating my CSL GT DD will arrive on Monday :omg:

4 hours ago, Corranga said:

I love the feel (and clack...) of the McLaren shifters.  I'm sure the MNRC bunch love it too via the chat 😅

On the other hand, my McLaren rim (or the QR Lite attached to it) is clunking when the force feedback changes direction.  Everything looks fine, nothing broken, Fanatec have offered me a return for further investigation, which I might well take them up on.

MONDAY KREW ASSSSSEMBAAAAAAL!

Amazingly… I already had Monday and Tuesday booked off. :omg:

51 minutes ago, mexos said:

MONDAY KREW ASSSSSEMBAAAAAAL!

Amazingly… I already had Monday and Tuesday booked off. :omg:

Oddly enough, I’m also off Monday (well, it’s supposed to be post Super Bowl sleep day)

I *think* there is a chance the wheel base doesn’t come with bolts to fit it to anything.

I believe you need 10mm + the thickness of the thing you’re fitting it to, if they are longer they will go through the T nuts and damage the base. I think it comes with M6 T nuts, so you might need some 12 or 15 mm bolts and washers. You mount the T nuts in the rails on the wheel base so it should be flexible enough.

No idea on the pedals, hopefully I don’t have to drill my pedal plate it’s something daft like 6 or 7mm thick steel :s

• 1 month later...
On 10/02/2022 at 13:43, Corranga said:

You definitely should take them up on it. I had one crack and it sheared the pins which led to me having to replace the main wire loom on the rim.

10 hours ago, Corranga said:

There are a couple of us on here, but unless you want one, I wouldn’t ask 😜

I defi want one My friend is very interested but wonders about the psu upgrade option and what kind of setup you need to have to get the most from it - would a play seat evo be ok or do you need something more substantial etc.

I used to have a Fanatec GT3 + Clubsport pedals with a wheel stand pro and loved that setup, I imagine any of the modern wheels from Fanatec / Thrustmaster and poss even Logitech would be a big upgrade from that but direct drive sounds like another jump again?

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I defi want one My friend is very interested but wonders about the psu upgrade option and what kind of setup you need to have to get the most from it - would a play seat evo be ok or do you need something more substantial etc.

I used to have a Fanatec GT3 + Clubsport pedals with a wheel stand pro and loved that setup, I imagine any of the modern wheels from Fanatec / Thrustmaster and poss even Logitech would be a big upgrade from that but direct drive sounds like another jump again?

So, I’ve only had 2 setups, a Playseat challenge with CSL Elite and I thought was fine (6Nm max) and now a Simlabs gt2 eco extruded aluminium solid thing with no movement at all and the GT DD Pro. I think, but never tried as I’d sold it only then, that the DD on the challenge would be fine tbh, certainly without the boost pack it would be as it’s weaker than the CSL. I had a mod on the pedal tray to make it more substantial.  You can of course reduce the force directly on the wheelbase, I’m not running mine at 100% and it still feels worth it.

The DD for me anyway felt like a decent step up from the CSL Elite which is in no way a bad wheelbase, it feels more urgent (direct..) and the subtlety in what it can feedback if that makes sense, plus it’s almost silent by comparison too!

I recently rationalised the amount of consoles and general gaming stuff in my office, keeping what I would actually play and putting everything else in the loft. I ended up keeping a Series S (because it's both current gen and it emulates virtually everything retro), a 360 (it's modded so has the best of everything from that generation, including Forza) and a PS2 (again, modded and has GT) and three wheels, one for each system.

Preaching to the converted, but I've been giving a few older games a go with the wheels and have had it really hammered home that even the 20+ year old GT3 and the couple of generations ago FM5 were really designed to play with a wheel. Pads, even the frankly excellent Series S one, really don't work for these kind of circuit racers, even though they aren't as hardcore as some proper sims. They're simlike or simlite, really. They just become so much easier and fun to play with a wheel. There were a couple of series I always struggled with / couldn't beat in GT3 (like the Pro Yaris / Vitz races) that I managed without too much difficulty with a wheel and things like pony cars were borderline uncontrollable in most games when using a pad but become a much more realistic prospect with the amount of control you get with a wheel. They may still spend a chunk of their time going sideways, but much less time going backwards. I've had to crank up the AI difficulty in FM5, despite struggling to win previously.

I'm finding I'm having to almost literally stand on the brake pedal of my G920, though. I end up with my foot on top of the pedal to get it all the way down. It's much easier on my DFGT, but I suspect this may be something where I need to fiddle with the settings in game, or just get used to it.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm finding I'm having to almost literally stand on the brake pedal of my G920, though. I end up with my foot on top of the pedal to get it all the way down. It's much easier on my DFGT, but I suspect this may be something where I need to fiddle with the settings in game, or just get used to it.

think there's a rubber bumper under the brake on the g920 which makes it hard to press, you can mod/remove this if you want to make it easier. 

2 minutes ago, spatular said:

think there's a rubber bumper under the brake on the g920 which makes it hard to press, you can mod/remove this if you want to make it easier. 

I'm not sure if it's a question of needing to get used to it, but I think it puts up an unrealistically amount of resistance. 

^ yeah i don't know if it's realistic or not but i couldn't press it easily without my chair moving back so went back to using g25 pedals - which are the same but without the rubber bumper.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm not sure if it's a question of needing to get used to it, but I think it puts up an unrealistically amount of resistance. 

There are quite a few mods for the Logi pedals to make them *harder*

...and I've set my TLCM's up for 100kg resistance for 100% braking force. 💪

After playing GT7 on the Dual Sense yesterday I noticed it had some great feedback when going over the rumble curbs however this is not translated to when I use my T300 which I found a bit strange.  Do I need to turn up my settings perhaps?

Edit :  Perhaps a known issue 

On 12/03/2022 at 08:45, Shimmyhill said:

To follow up on Corranga's reply, I got the DD Pro and the Sim Lab Wheel Stand Pro for it. The stand is ridiculously heavy so the wheel base is totally fine on that but I concur with Corranga, the wheel base would be fine I think on most stands. I also have the boost pack so it's at 9nm.

However, the loadcell brake pedal is a different story. If you just use the standard brake pedal that the DD Pro comes with, you'll be fine but the loadcell really needs your rig to be very firm and not move. 

2 hours ago, Varnsen said:

To follow up on Corranga's reply, I got the DD Pro and the Sim Lab Wheel Stand Pro for it. The stand is ridiculously heavy so the wheel base is totally fine on that but I concur with Corranga, the wheel base would be fine I think on most stands. I also have the boost pack so it's at 9nm.

However, the loadcell brake pedal is a different story. If you just use the standard brake pedal that the DD Pro comes with, you'll be fine but the loadcell really needs your rig to be very firm and not move. 

Thank you, my old clubsport pedals had a load cell so was thinking about rig rigidity!

9 hours ago, Parappa said:

After playing GT7 on the Dual Sense yesterday I noticed it had some great feedback when going over the rumble curbs however this is not translated to when I use my T300 which I found a bit strange.  Do I need to turn up my settings perhaps?

Edit :  Perhaps a known issue 

I just thought they were smooth kerbs 😬.

Honestly  this proves again I am so unsensitive to force feedback. When @Fretnoise got his T300 he was telling me how it was amazing what he could feel through it. Me on the other hand, not a clue.
I’ve literally matched my lap times with The torque and sensitivity turned all the way down. 
 Some might say I should just use a pad. I on the other hand have convinced myself that a DD Pro with the boost kit is what I need to start feeling it … 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here use a GT Omega race stand / seat setup?

Ive been doing my research and I’m probably going to have to not splurge as much as I want to with lots of house stuff still to buy. Basically I have a little gaming room in the new place, I bought a nice ikea chair to sit and game on - not used it yet so going straight into a play seat or similar maybe a step too far - GT Omega so a wheel stand thing that can be converted to a full seat setup so as it’s pretty cheap it seems a no brainer and a way to save some funds unless anyone has any horror stories about it.

I have the same dilemma with these wheel… I really want to go for the Fanatec DD pro as last time I got a wheel setup I bought a Logitech, upgraded the pedals then the wheel to a Fanatec so while I’m trying to save on funds I can see where this is going. 

Is there anything else I could look at second hand or new like the G29 that will be a good way in but ideally could upgrade down the line - any Fanatec stuff I can get that works on the Ps5 and then upgrade the wheel base to DD later?

@Shimmyhill

I have a GT Omega Prime, so I can't specifically comment on the wheel stand and seat frame; but it seems like a good and cheap option as a way in and their stuff is well made.

You might struggle with the rotation and flex of an office chair, but a lot of people start like this (me included).  It'd tide you over until you know if sim racing is something you're likely to stick with.

For the wheel, tricky one.  With the introduction of cheaper DD Fanatec wheels I'd be inclined to go straight for their DD Pro.   Although the G29 is sub-£200 at Curry's at the moment so that's a good option if you did want to spend less now while you feel your way with it.  But those cheaper wheels feel considerably more like a toy, compared to Fanatec.

EDIT: sorry think I misread your post, and that you have had some experience buying wheels before.  If you've had Fanatec in the past then it seems like the DD Pro might be the better choice.

@davejm thank you - I haven’t had a DD wheel so my Fanatec was belt but i did have clubsport pedals and loved the loadcell compared to the modded Logitech before - I guess the real question is how does a current Logitech / Thrustmaster compare to my old 911 GT2 wheel or are there PS5 compatible Fanatec wheels I could pick up second hand etc?

I have never had a cockpit tho, I went from ironing board to a wheel stand pro and with limited space thinking the GT Omega stand may be a good starter and cheap enough that if I quickly upgrade it / replace it ive not lost much!

The cheaper Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels are gear driven, so would be a step down compared to the belt driven Fanatec you had before.

You could look for a second hand Fanatec or better Thrustmaster belt driven wheel but prices might not be far away from the CSL DD Pro anyway.

On 27/03/2022 at 15:15, Shimmyhill said:

or are there PS5 compatible Fanatec wheels I could pick up second hand etc?

I believe there are only 3 options here, unless you want to mess around with a third party converter like a Drive Hub or something which I think brings it’s own complications on Ps5.

CSL Elite PlayStation 4 Edition (belt drive)

GT DD Pro (aka CSL DD PlayStation edition)

And the… podium? DD for PS4 which costs much more anyway.

I upgraded from the Elite to the DD and it was worth it. I then sold my Elite for, well actually surprisingly quite a lot. I guess what I’m saying is, it might not be as cheap as you want to get into the ecosystem