Jump to content

Rllmuk racing wheel thread


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, spatular said:


yeah ive thought about that, i guess the main upgrade for pedals is a load cell? I usually play without sound, so use abs, so not sure better pedals/load cell would help much?

 

The main upgrade is load cell, yes, but plenty of folk seem to upgrade from for example basic Thrustmaster pedals to T3PA I think it is, and others do things like changing springs etc. in Logitech pedals, there must be a reason for that.  

I started with Fanatec CSL Elite pedals and later added a load cell brake, so can't really comment on anything else.  

@valver's explanation of a load cell pedal is fantastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corranga said:

in Logitech pedals, there must be a reason for that.  

I started with Fanatec CSL Elite pedals and later added a load cell brake, so can't really comment on anything else.  

@valver's explanation of a load cell pedal is fantastic.

 

I did it last week because the Logitech ones are truly awful. They install rubbish springs that don't feel right and stick a big chunk of rubber in the base of the break. It's like pressing down on a sponge then pin pointing your toes to force a screw in the middle down. Very weird sensation and long gone now I've swapped them for GTEyes. Work like a charm now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valver said:

That's an interesting situation - clutch-less upshifts, but heel and toe with clutch on the way down the gears.  Not seen that before.

 

Agricultural Australian engineering :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I've been really struggling to play ACC, no matter how hard I try I just can't finish a race in a decent enough position

 

I can count my GT3 podiums on 1 hand, and that's after 4 seasons of our forum league, let alone win a race during that time.

 

I'm a fairly decent and experienced sim racer but ACC is something else entirely. When you think you've got it sussed, it turns around and kicks you in the nads. I've grown to accept that nowadays. 

 

At times I'm happy enough to get 7th place without being lapped. As long as I get a couple of scraps for position and not eliminate myself then it's okay. Just like Kimi Raikkonen I suppose. 

 

What keeps me playing is the excellent group of people we have, and the banter and discussion. Everyone is super helpful and friendly. :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

What keeps me playing is the excellent group of people we have, and the banter and discussion. Everyone is super helpful and friendly. :wub:

Covid hallucinations, amazing !   ;):D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Covid hallucinations, amazing !   ;):D 

 The 39°C fever has now gone thankfully so I'm fully aware what I wrote. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, son wants a force feedback steering wheel.  For Xbox One (Xbox Series consoles too in future).

What are my options? I'm not looking for top of the range.  I'm not sure how often he'll use it

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Hello, son wants a force feedback steering wheel.  For Xbox One (Xbox Series consoles too in future).

What are my options? I'm not looking for top of the range.  I'm not sure how often he'll use it

 

 

 

 


according to my son the choices are Logitech (G29) or some fanatec or other.

 

personally I was all about the thrust master T150 when it was cheap in Costco, but that boat has sailed.

 

the real problem is stand or racing seat?

 

also: I want a wheel that’ll work with ANYTHING with a USB port.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with the works with anything.   I place the blame for that squarely on the wheel manufactures.   Like I can't see MS or Sony objecting to the same wheel being certified for both consoles.  Just supply the appropriate buttons to put on so their branding bullshit is satisfied.

 

g29 and Fantaec are like 250 quid plus.   I'm not sure that's a wise amount to invest on a peripheral that I'm not sure he'll still be using in a few months.  Maybe that is the base amount for a FF wheel though?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Good luck with the works with anything.   I place the blame for that squarely on the wheel manufactures.   Like I can't see MS or Sony objecting to the same wheel being certified for both consoles.  Just supply the appropriate buttons to put on so their branding bullshit is satisfied.

 

g29 and Fantaec are like 250 quid plus.   I'm not sure that's a wise amount to invest on a peripheral that I'm not sure he'll still be using in a few months.  Maybe that is the base amount for a FF wheel though?

 

 

Considering XBO peripherals are BC with Series stuff, you could always pick up a used G290 and pass it on without too much of a loss if the lad loses interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Hello, son wants a force feedback steering wheel.  For Xbox One (Xbox Series consoles too in future).

What are my options? I'm not looking for top of the range.  I'm not sure how often he'll use it

 

 

 

 

Thrustmaster TMX, Raf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2021 at 16:19, Varnsen said:

thanks Sharky.  I really know bugger all about driving cars. 

 

It's only applicable to racing, it's not something you'd need to do in a road car.  It's also a dying art; most racing cars nowadays use sequential gearboxes, where there's no clutch pedal (or at least not one that needs to be used when shifting), so drivers only need to click a paddle to shift down, with the car taking care of the clutch and throttle blip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SeanR said:


according to my son the choices are Logitech (G29) or some fanatec or other.

 

personally I was all about the thrust master T150 when it was cheap in Costco, but that boat has sailed.

 

the real problem is stand or racing seat?

 

also: I want a wheel that’ll work with ANYTHING with a USB port.

 

G29 is a Playstation wheel, for Xbox it's the G920.

The T150 (also a playstation wheel) is the Thrustmaster equivalent of the G29/G920, it has an xbox name too - Thrustmaster TMX I think.

Roughly double the price and there is the T300 (PS) / TX (Xbox).

Roughly double that price and there is Fanatec CSL (potential to do Xbox and or PS).

And you can keep going up from there.

 

They all do PC.

 

15 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Good luck with the works with anything.   I place the blame for that squarely on the wheel manufactures.   Like I can't see MS or Sony objecting to the same wheel being certified for both consoles.  Just supply the appropriate buttons to put on so their branding bullshit is satisfied.

 

Almost certain it's down to the console manufacturers and not wheel manufacturers, especially as Fanatec essentially do exactly what you are talking about...

If you get a Fanatec 'for Playstation' wheelbase, and attach a Fanatec 'for Xbox' rim, you have a wheel that can be used on Playstation, Xbox and PC.

Essentially, Fanatec licence the wheel bases to Sony and the wheel rims to MS, but make them compatible within their ecosystem.  I can't see this being the case if MS / Sony would allow them to co-licence (duo-licence?) to them.

 

My setup is a CSL Elite for Playstation with an Xbox P1 rim.  The Mode button scrolls between the 3, I simply connect the USB cable as required.  

Ironically, the Playstation buttons for the P1 rim don't fit the Xbox version, so I have Xbox button labels, but predominantly use the wheel on Playstation.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s stupid because both console manufacturers are cutting their own noses off to spite their face.

 

I own both an Xbox and a PlayStation. If I could buy a wheel that would Just Work on both machines, then I’d buy driving games for both machines. Instead I’m far more likely to stick to just the one that I happened to buy a wheel for.

 

By insisting on separate licences, really all they’re doing is stopping people like me from buying their software - they’re just leaving money on the table. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Good luck with the works with anything.   I place the blame for that squarely on the wheel manufactures.   Like I can't see MS or Sony objecting to the same wheel being certified for both consoles.  Just supply the appropriate buttons to put on so their branding bullshit is satisfied.

 

g29 and Fantaec are like 250 quid plus.   I'm not sure that's a wise amount to invest on a peripheral that I'm not sure he'll still be using in a few months.  Maybe that is the base amount for a FF wheel though?

 

 

 

The Logitech ones have been as low as £100. But given the last year you'll be waiting possibly forever for that to happen again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Can anyone tell me what bolts I need to fix my T300 to a Playseat Challenge?

 

https://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/T300RS/T300_Base_Template.pdf

 

M6, with a maximum length of 12mm inside the wheel base.

 

The mounting plate on the Playseat is probably 2mm I guess? Plus say 1mm for your washer, so you probably want 15mm bolts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

 

Interesting. Seems to be cheaper on ebay than Logitech equivalent


The wheels are about the same in terms of quality, but the basic Logitech pedals are miles better than the basic Thrustmaster pedals.

 

Rule of thumb when buying Thrustmaster is two pedals bad, three pedals good. (There are a few different three-pedal models and they’re all increasingly good, but the two-pedal set is lightweight plastic and pretty bad.)

 

Fortunately the pedals can be upgraded separately so it’s not a cast-iron reason not to buy Thrustmaster if the price/location are good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

The wheels are about the same in terms of quality, but the basic Logitech pedals are miles better than the basic Thrustmaster pedals.

 

The Thrustmaster is a better wheel than the Logitech, just by virtue of having belt driven FFB, compared to the Logitech's gear driven system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corranga said:

 

G29 is a Playstation wheel, for Xbox it's the G920.

The T150 (also a playstation wheel) is the Thrustmaster equivalent of the G29/G920, it has an xbox name too - Thrustmaster TMX I think.

Roughly double the price and there is the T300 (PS) / TX (Xbox).

Roughly double that price and there is Fanatec CSL (potential to do Xbox and or PS).

And you can keep going up from there.

 

They all do PC.

 

 

Almost certain it's down to the console manufacturers and not wheel manufacturers, especially as Fanatec essentially do exactly what you are talking about...

If you get a Fanatec 'for Playstation' wheelbase, and attach a Fanatec 'for Xbox' rim, you have a wheel that can be used on Playstation, Xbox and PC.

Essentially, Fanatec licence the wheel bases to Sony and the wheel rims to MS, but make them compatible within their ecosystem.  I can't see this being the case if MS / Sony would allow them to co-licence (duo-licence?) to them.

 

My setup is a CSL Elite for Playstation with an Xbox P1 rim.  The Mode button scrolls between the 3, I simply connect the USB cable as required.  

Ironically, the Playstation buttons for the P1 rim don't fit the Xbox version, so I have Xbox button labels, but predominantly use the wheel on Playstation.

 

 


see, I told him.

 

I warned him about the dangers of switching platform for F1 and FIFA games yearly with each update.

 

we’ll get a PS5 and use that going forward, (and wait for a price drop to pick up a seriesX and the exclusives.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dudley said:

Probably for the best otherwise one tank slapper and he's out an upstairs window.

 

Yep, full FFB could easily snap his tiny arms. :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I managed to get a second hand Thrustmaster TMX Pro.  Comes with a 3 pedal setup off ebay  125 quid.  Not bad.  Anything I should check out when I get it to make sure it's not fooked?

 

 

bucket seat setups look quite nice....

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

So I managed to get a second hand Thrustmaster TMX Pro.  Comes with a 3 pedal setup off ebay  125 quid.  Not bad.  Anything I should check out when I get it to make sure it's not fooked?

 

 

bucket seat setups look quite nice....

 

Will it go on a PC or just console? You want something where you can calibrate the pedals (to make sure they have the range they should and show stable values) and check all the buttons are working I guess, and then something to make sure the FFB is working. On a PC that is built into the control config but I think most games that let you configure controls would show it. Aside from that, the wheel is detachable so it might be worth checking it's attached properly - you tighten it on with this plastic ring and then put a screw through to hold it in place - check the manual here: https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/tmxforcefeedback-en/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2021 at 16:03, Count Buffalos said:

Can anyone tell me what bolts I need to fix my T300 to a Playseat Challenge?

I got a Playseat challenge a few weeks ago and the bolts to mount the wheelbase I found in the bag of bits that came with the wheel- did you not keep them?
I’ve got some massive cable straps for the pedals as the Velcro that come with it is a bit shit.

 However I spotted some adaptors on eBay so I’ve ordered them. Coming from China so might be a while

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rafaqat said:

So I managed to get a second hand Thrustmaster TMX Pro.  Comes with a 3 pedal setup off ebay  125 quid.  Not bad.  Anything I should check out when I get it to make sure it's not fooked?

 

 

bucket seat setups look quite nice....

 

That is a most excellent bargain!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.