Jump to content

Rllmuk racing wheel thread


Recommended Posts

I love the blue personally. Saw on the PSN chat that the CSL DD isn't PlayStation compatible but I assume it's the same situation as the DD wheel bases where there'll be a PC/Xbox base and a PC/PS base at some point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mexos said:

 

531718966_Screenshot2021-04-22at11_39_45.png.f357bf4862432a724760e5f5c0d1db21.png

 

The blue bits in the carbon. It's a challenging aesthetic. I am just being a tit as normal.

 

Looks like you can easily peel that red shit off the wheel.

 

Good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spatular said:

hopefully be able to use other pedals with adapters, i've used logitech pedals with a fanatec wheel previously.

 

PC wise you could always plug USB directly into PC couldn't you?

So they effectively are treated like 2 separate devices.  I think some pedals, such as the CSL Elite Load Cells are better when plugged in directly too (8bit vs 10bit or something, presumably down to bandwidth on a single USB cable)

 

Obviously on console, you'd need something like a drive hub to enable that to happen as console uses a single USB for wheel base, with the pedals connected via it.

 

 

3 hours ago, Varnsen said:

I love the blue personally. Saw on the PSN chat that the CSL DD isn't PlayStation compatible but I assume it's the same situation as the DD wheel bases where there'll be a PC/Xbox base and a PC/PS base at some point. 

 

(you probably realise this, but the Fanatec situation is confusing enough that I thought I'd post this as a reminder or for others....)

There's no such thing as a PC/Xbox base, the Xbox component of Fanatec kit is in the wheel rim, not the base. 

The CSL Elite for Playstation is a PC/Playstation/Xbox Ready base, which is to say, stick an Xbox wheel rim on it and the mode button / LED flips between red for PC, blue for Playstation and Green for Xbox.

 

The CSL Elite wheel base was initially released as a PC only (with Xbox rims available, so PC/Xbox ready as they call it) prior to the PS4 one coming out, I expect the CSL DD will be the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Corranga said:

PC wise you could always plug USB directly into PC couldn't you?

 

yeah that's a good point. i'll be wanting console compatibility and already have the adapter, so i'm hoping the adapter method will work ok.

 

also just to say there is mention of a ps5 version coming later on the fanatec site, so that's good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh so they'll have to release a CSL DD for PlayStation at some point so they've basically just announced a PC wheelbase that would work on Xbox if you have an Xbox wheel rim...Wonder why there has to be a 'PlayStation' specific model. Seems weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Varnsen said:

Wonder why there has to be a 'PlayStation' specific model. Seems weird. 


Licensing. The PlayStation and Xbox controller variants basically have proprietary drivers nowadays so only licensed hardware can work on them. The licensing chip (if that’s a thing, the concept works if it’s not) is in the wheel rim for Xbox and the wheel base for PlayStation. I suspect neither Sony nor Microsoft would allow I device to be licensed to them and their competitor, and this is Fanatec’s work around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spatular said:

 

yeah that's a good point. i'll be wanting console compatibility and already have the adapter, so i'm hoping the adapter method will work ok.

 

also just to say there is mention of a ps5 version coming later on the fanatec site, so that's good.


Not that too still are using Logitech pedals with a Fanatec wheel, but I’d say good pedals are perhaps even more important than the wheel base in my experience. If you are doing that, I’d be consider updating the pedals rather than moving to a DD wheelbase.

 

 

 

 

As a console gamer, the good news in all of this is that PC games can review and test the CSL DD before we can buy it :D

I’m really happy with my CSL Elite right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Corranga said:


Not that too still are using Logitech pedals with a Fanatec wheel, but I’d say good pedals are perhaps even more important than the wheel base in my experience. If you are doing that, I’d be consider updating the pedals rather than moving to a DD wheelbase.


yeah ive thought about that, i guess the main upgrade for pedals is a load cell? I usually play without sound, so use abs, so not sure better pedals/load cell would help much?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A load cell (usually with stiffer pedal) means that you can use force to determine amount of braking, not pedal travel/position.  Your leg muscles are much better at judging how much force they apply consistently than pushing forwards 1 vs 2 cms.  Using ABS or not isn't really relevant.  You'll most likely be able to brake harder faster, and have more consistent trail braking into apexes with a load cell pedal set.  Plus they add to immersion as they feel much more akin to a brake pedal in a real car (well my T-LCMs do).  HTH.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spatular said:


yeah ive thought about that, i guess the main upgrade for pedals is a load cell? I usually play without sound, so use abs, so not sure better pedals/load cell would help much?

 

Really??  There's no way I'd be able to play driving games with no sound :o

 

@Valver is spot on with the load cell description.  Having a load cell really is a game changer, but it's kinda hard to explain why to someone who hasn't used one!  I can trail brake so much more consistently and accurately with my T-LCM brake than I could with my old Logitech G25 set.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, do you left foot or right foot brake? 

 

As I'm not a day to day car driver I've always used my left foot to brake when playing racing games but I am starting wonder if I should give using the right foot for everything a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mexos said:

Just out of curiosity, do you left foot or right foot brake? 

 

As I'm not a day to day car driver I've always used my left foot to brake when playing racing games but I am starting wonder if I should give using the right foot for everything a go.

 

Both.  I left foot brake in cars with sequential boxes and right foot (and swap to left foot if I don't need to change down for a corner) brake/heel and toe when driving manual cars.

 

I find it much easier to trail brake when left foot braking, as I'm used to it and I can just focus on that one thing.  Heel and toe makes trail braking much harder as there's so much going on.  I defo wouldn't right foot brake if you aren't using a clutch, being able to access both pedals at once is definitely an advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

 

Both.  I left foot brake in cars with sequential boxes and right foot (and swap to left foot if I don't need to change down for a corner) brake/heel and toe when driving manual cars.

 

I find it much easier to trail brake when left foot braking, as I'm used to it and I can just focus on that one thing.  Heel and toe makes trail braking much harder as there's so much going on.  I defo wouldn't right foot brake if you aren't using a clutch, being able to access both pedals at once is definitely an advantage.

Same!  I swap depending on the car...

 

In all the ACC sequential cars I left foot brake.  And trail braking it much easier as a result...

 

In regular AC cars, with manual boxes, I then swap to right foot braking, with a bit of heel and toe blipping on downshifts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried left foot braking in my own car (manual with clutch) once. Not recommended. 

 

So yes, to echo what is said above: if you use a clutch, brake with your right foot.

 

No clutch? Left foot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

cheers for the load cell explanation guys, it does sound good. i think i'm still looking to upgrade to a fanatec wheel that supports xbox/ps as the next upgrade, and whenever that's happened there won't be funds left for the better pedals. but at some point i would like to try the load cell stuff out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meers said:

I tried left foot braking in my own car (manual with clutch) once. Not recommended. 

 

ha yes, I've also tried it.  Pretty much headbutted the windscreen  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned how to double-clutch (well, mostly the blip of the throttle as actually double declutching isn't that quicker according to modern data) as well as left-foot braking during a real-life racing course around Circuit Zandvoort 10 years ago.

 

Blipping the throttle is quite fun to do in the sim when I'm also manually shifting gears (using the TH8P H-pattern), in Group C race cars for instance :)Proper work-out for the feet!

And when using three pedals in the sim for this, I use left-foot braking sometimes to shift the weight balance, most notably in DiRT Rally 2.0.

 

As for left-foot braking in my actual car on the road: just on rare occasions, though I do like blipping the throttle on downshifts during a spirited drive :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

As for left-foot braking in my actual car on the road: just on rare occasions, though I do like blipping the throttle on downshifts during a spirited drive 

 

 

maxresdefault.jpg

 

Might be a bit lost on Joe! (It's UK TV)

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

what does 'blipping the throttle' mean?

 

It's what you do when you heel and toe.  In a manual car, when you're braking and shifting down a gear, you blip the throttle with the outside of your foot to match the engine speed with the speed of the road as you release the clutch.  If you don't do this, it sends a shock through the transmission which can unsettle the rear of the car, making it much more likely you'll break traction and spin.

 

Like this:

 

 

Modern cars with sequential boxes do this for you automatically.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been really struggling to play ACC, no matter how hard I try I just can't finish a race in a decent enough position and was getting so annoyed it stopped me from using the wheel for a day.. that was until I thought I'd fire up Forza Horizon 4. With the ability to flick through so many cars I was messing around with an Escort RS where I was struggling to get ahead then out of the blue I won a Subaru Impreza and it's changed everything! I've started being able to win races and then discovered the Royal Scotsman race. My god this game is insane! For the first time since I stopped playing Dirt 4 I've been having loads of actual fun with my races, jumping over the carriages and racing it to the end made me almost break the wheel I was spinning it so fast :lol: Almost dropped a fortune on the DLC but holding off from my excitement.. for now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

 

 

Modern cars with sequential boxes do this for you automatically.

That's an interesting situation - clutch-less upshifts, but heel and toe with clutch on the way down the gears.  Not seen that before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.