Rllmuk racing wheel thread

35 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Finally finished a successful race in ACC at 11th without hitting a thing.. right up until the very last corner where some cheeky ***$% clipped me from the side and sent me off into the gravel. Span like a loon and dropped to 23rd place out of 25 :wacko: It's very difficult and quite a serious racing sim but I do love how if you make enough effort you will get there eventually.

Sounds like you're ready to join our merry band in ACC!

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Going back to ACC and I think my biggest problem is the main races can take ages and I'm not comfortable enough to tackle the career until I'm way better. I want to be driving like a nutcase, can't help it so I'm starting to look at Forza Horizon 4 more and more. My wheel is fully compatible with games on the X so I started looking at buying one of those consoles. It must be available by now surely I thought.. dear oh dear :lol: no chance. Looks like the PC version is the way to go for now, few of the reviews mention that it's an open world driving game and scenes of slinging a Warthog around a beach brought back crazy Blood Gulch memberberries of yesteryear. Any thoughts on it? Will I have more fun with that rather than being so serious all the time with ACC?

I have never found FH to be any good with a wheel even on its wheel settings tbh, it doesn't seem designed for it.

I thought there was a demo but maybe that was console only.

If you find the demo, the steering settings are badly labelled, it's something like assisted / Normal / Simulation.

By "simulation" they mean "wheel".

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I have never found FH to be any good with a wheel even on its wheel settings tbh, it doesn't seem designed for it.

First few minutes of this seem to suggest it's quite good, this is from November so maybe they've updated it?

Driving in 3rd person - impressions instantly lose all credibility for me. :lol:

...later on he's also using an H pattern manual on a car with flappy paddles - when his wheel also has flappy paddles. :doh:

I didn’t even try FH4 with a wheel as I could tell it would be odd. I enjoyed the game, mainly the rally races, but all the extraneous bullshit is unbearable. It really depends how much patience you’ve got for tweens screaming youthspeak at you after every race while you drive around trying to find the next one. “YEAH MAN, YOU SMASHED A WALL!!! HAVE SOME SUPER AWESOME WALL SMASH POINTS!!!! YOU’RE UP TO 250/5000 OF LEVEL 2! GROOVY!”

ad infi-fucking-nitum

It gets tiresome is what I’m saying. But some of the racing is fun and it looks nice. 

30 minutes ago, Valver said:

Driving in 3rd person - impressions instantly lose all credibility for me. :lol:

...later on he's also using an H pattern manual on a car with flappy paddles - when his wheel also has flappy paddles. :doh:

He's testing the shifter and wheels so why would he use the paddles?

Horizon seemed alright to me from a quick test with the wheel. Motorsport seemed almost impossible, but that was because I was labouring under the misapprehension that setting the steering to "simulation" would be the way to go for using a wheel; I gather it's not.

43 minutes ago, milko said:

Horizon seemed alright to me from a quick test with the wheel. Motorsport seemed almost impossible, but that was because I was labouring under the misapprehension that setting the steering to "simulation" would be the way to go for using a wheel; I gather it's not.

No it's not, that's why it's really weird. Simulation steering is just FUBAR.

Horizon works perfectly with a wheel, but it's not really refined.

6 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

First few minutes of this seem to suggest it's quite good, this is from November so maybe they've updated it?

His opinion may be different. So, to be fair, might be yours.

But mine isn't from watching Youtube, it's from playing literally every Forza Horizon on a wheel and switching to a pad on all of them ultimately.

1 hour ago, spatular said:

the forza/horizon games work really well with a wheel.

Motorsport is fine.

For me, horizon fundmentally doesn't work with one until you reduce the degrees rotation so far you might as well be using a pad anyway.

And I think at least partly it's because in motorsport fundamentally what you do is drive a car like a car.

That's not really true of Horizon.

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

That's not really true of Horizon.

In what way? I had mine set to 900 and it controls extremely well. Spent a good hour thundering, drifting and bashing through all sorts of scenery. Felt right to me, did you have it setup correctly and was it picking up your model of wheel in the options?

10 minutes ago, marsh said:

So I thought I'd better check what the boy was after before I started looking.

The words 'CSL Elite' were uttered :hmm:

Be grateful he didn't  say "Podium" :lol:

8 minutes ago, marsh said:

So I thought I'd better check what the boy was after before I started looking.

The words 'CSL Elite' were uttered :hmm:

They are marked as Available soon on the Fanatec website, not sure what Brexit has done to the cost/duties as they all ship from Germany.

Might be worth holding off until they finally announce or release the rumoured cheaper set, though that may not appear until GT7 I guess

I see they have a cheap McLaren wheel (wheel only that is) which I’ll need to forget about as while it cheap in context, 200 euro plus just for me to try a flat wheel is probably not a good idea!

Bah, his last and current quad didn't cost that much, and it's cheaper than going ACTUAL racing right? RIGHT??

:angry:

He might have to make some sort of contribution, I'm more than happy to take all the money off him that he earned over Easter working with his uncle doing groundworks.

Besides, I can still go 'daddy is faster than you' with his T300rs :ph34r:

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Fanatec are teasing something new on their Twitter, might be worth holding off on any CSL purchase.

I think you could be right, a CSL elite is more than we paid for his PC. Kind of looked down his nose at me when I suggested a T300. Is there nothing above that in a thrustmaster?

2 minutes ago, marsh said:

I think you could be right, a CSL elite is more than we paid for his PC. Kind of looked down his nose at me when I suggested a T300. Is there nothing above that in a thrustmaster?

Not really, The have their T-GT but that is £550 odd. It does come with pedals but they don't have a load cell. If he wants to get faster i'd prioritise pedals over the wheel.

I would love to upgrade from my G29 but until I can permanently setup the wheel somewhere with a proper frame etc, I didn't wanna go Podium. 

What do you reckon Fanatec have got up their sleeves Mexos? A new belt driven wheel of some sort?

Worth noting that as Fanatec are based in Germany, they now don’t charge VAT on the website for UK orders, but you’ll be charged VAT and duty (20% plus 2.5% on total cost including shipping) plus whatever the courier charges as a brokerage fee (they seem to use UPS according to some who charge £11).

Oddly enough still cheaper than buying most of their stuff used on eBay!

31 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

What do you reckon Fanatec have got up their sleeves Mexos? A new belt driven wheel of some sort?

Wasn't it a cheaper model DD base? or was that last week?

No love for the thrustmaster TS? I take it that would need drivehub to go through his PS4? he does play quite alot of sim bollocks on his PC so it would be getting used for that more.

7 minutes ago, Meers said:

Wasn't it a cheaper model DD base? or was that last week?

That was their DD 0.5 - whcih was an April Fools joke that a surprising amount of people fell for:

image.thumb.png.043eca5d56bd5d44b307bcd6b51913f1.png