Rllmuk racing wheel thread

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Chaos, CHAOS in here! The worst part is I typed it in Google and just copied the spelling over :lol: I should read websearches when I do them!

Sunk a fair bit of time today on Monza track in Italy trying to learn how to drive and to get through 10 clean laps without causing damage. Just done it with 2.02.60 seconds or so as my best lap time in a Lambo Evo. Think when I started it was 6 minutes so that's def an improvement. I've no idea how that compares to anyone else for a practice lap.

I saved the replay but can't figure out a way to export it as a video so will just have to talk through my biggest problem.. the first corner after the stand/crane that flicks right then an immediate left. I've been speeding up to that area at around 245mph then slamming the brakes on and shifting to 2nd then trying to roll around the two corners followed by my speeding up then flying off for the rest of the track.. but watching my own replay it looks ssoo slow whereas everyone else on the AI is flying around there like mad men.. how do I even do that?

I tried a quick practice race against some other cars but the buggers kept hitting me or pushing me off the track into a spin. Didn't think I was ready so went back to my practice laps.

I got down to about 1:57 at my best on Monza I think but I have the same problem, in general really. I always slow too much for the slow parts. 

It’s either fly off the track or crawl round and if I even try to just push a little more I spin or something. 

I think the key is learning when to brake and when to start accelerating out again, but how much? I suppose that’s the game really. 

9 hours ago, Pockets said:

I got down to about 1:57 at my best on Monza I think but I have the same problem, in general really. I always slow too much for the slow parts. 

It’s either fly off the track or crawl round and if I even try to just push a little more I spin or something. 

I think the key is learning when to brake and when to start accelerating out again, but how much? I suppose that’s the game really. 

I've got a G920 and the brake pedal is truly woeful, you get about 30% press then need to stamp on it to get it all the way down. Been many a time where I've needed to slow but just can't get enough of a push down to make a difference. Got some new springs for it on the way so hopefully that will help make me prep for corners a bit better. I've found going in slow won't keep me on par with other drivers so I think its speed then good braking to make up for it.

I think all this driving is helping as I'm not spinning off as much as I used to even started to be able to "feel" when its about to spin out and counter it a bit. Practice, practice, practice :lol:

14 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Chaos, CHAOS in here! The worst part is I typed it in Google and just copied the spelling over :lol: I should read websearches when I do them!

If you're wondering about mine, the nosring genuinely is a track in Nuremberg.

image.png.8b422b5315ab744e40ce592774f7dfd6.png

VERY in Nuremberg.

16 minutes ago, Dudley said:

VERY in Nuremberg.

Do they have rally events there?

This has been my morning. Replaced all of the springs in the pedals with a set of GTEyes and.. they are a god send. The brake pedal has switched from next to useless to actually playable! Every pedal feels so much better and reacts as it should. If you have a Logitech G set these are def the way to go as they make a massive difference. Biggest one is no longer have to drive your foot through the floor to use the brake all the way.

IMG_20210412_110217_275.jpg

On 11/04/2021 at 10:16, Dudley said:

VERY in Nuremberg.

Nuremberg time trials...

I've been trying to figure out my braking mechanics. How I get my feet in the right place so I can exert the right amount of force with control.

Step 1. Some DIY.

IMG_9652.thumb.JPG.0b39aa7cd4c763391aeae9843e213b9d.JPG

The weight (and my weight) keeps the wooden structure from moving under heavy braking. I've since removed the playseat challenge's pedal base altogether.

Step2. I've been trying to work out the best footware situation. Currently barefoot but I can exert more pressure quicker with something on my feet....

238498155_Screenshot2021-04-12at12_05_46.png.02b214573c354e01dd84f7e6d3aee1a0.png

Ordered these after watching some YT vids on footware. They are beach shoes. Thin soles. Arrive tomorrow so I'll report back.

I should also add that on my first proper practice lap with these new pedals where I was getting 2.02.600 before is now down to 2.02.500 with what I thought was a normal lap. I can't believe how different it is for the brake to do what it's supposed to and the accelerator feels like it does in my car. Can't wait to start practicising properly this weekend, think I might nail my first full race :lol:

In other news, we seem to have 2 threads for almost the same thing. I started the Sim Racing Central thread last year to discuss rigs and other sim racing stuff (because I couldn't find any related threads), and then this thread popped up. :doh: 

How would you chaps feel about merging them into a general 'Sim Racing' thread? :hug:

I feel this is specifically about hardware, no need to merge them.

Plus SRC can be a place to talk about games like ACC where the threads are entirely about online racing despite the fact we have an online forum for that.

16 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I feel this is specifically about hardware, no need to merge them.

Since when is footwear considered hardware? :sherlock:

8 hours ago, Meers said:

Yoga socks is where it's really at, chaps. Maximum feel. Maximum grip. Become a winner.

image.thumb.png.0c262091ab3e32935a5e0ea4318c80d1.png

Lol, I did my fastest lap at Le Mans in the Yaris GR bare foot in gt sport. Zola Bud reporting for duty, think it was inside the top 1000 world.....

Anyway, my eldest has been after an upgrade for his G29, what's the logical progression? he's eyeballing my t300 but I'd fight him for it. Needs to be cheaper than buying an actual car please.

I spent a chunk of the afternoon doing some DIY on my sim-rig. After mounting the TLCM pedals and using the stiffest springs I was getting a fair bit of flex from the metal plate the pedal box mounts to.  So I made a little frame to take the force and stop the flex.  Also mounted the power supply and a little USB hub under there to tidy up the cabling.  Now I just need to paint it black or something

IMG_20210413_164003-01.jpeg

28 minutes ago, marsh said:

Anyway, my eldest has been after an upgrade for his G29, what's the logical progression? he's eyeballing my t300 but I'd fight him for it. Needs to be cheaper than buying an actual car please.

t300 is the next step up, there's only thrustmaster and logitech stuff around that price range. after that it's an even more expensive fanatec which seems sold out at the moment. he could get the cheaper t300 set with the crap pedals and use his G29 pedals with an adapter, makes it a little cheaper.

Thought I'd try a couple of practice runs from behind the car and the bonnet view. I thought I'd be much quicker at the back as I feel more used to it from years of gaming but on my first attempt to compare the two I was 2 seconds faster from behind :lol: Seems it does make a difference!

1 hour ago, spatular said:

t300 is the next step up, there's only thrustmaster and logitech stuff around that price range. after that it's an even more expensive fanatec which seems sold out at the moment. he could get the cheaper t300 set with the crap pedals and use his G29 pedals with an adapter, makes it a little cheaper.

I've got a spare set of t300 pedals in the boot of my car (as you do) so to a degree I've got it partially covered. I guess it depends what he's trying to achieve?

Bit off-topic but could someone give me an idea of what the following might fetch? It's my grandsons and apparently he has barely used it so my daughter has told him it has to go.

It's the Logitech G920 wheel and pedals with the gear shift. It's the Xbox version. It's on a Vevor stand. Cheers

kaden steering wheel.jpg

4 hours ago, SteveH said:

Bit off-topic but could someone give me an idea of what the following might fetch? It's my grandsons and apparently he has barely used it so my daughter has told him it has to go.

It's the Logitech G920 wheel and pedals with the gear shift. It's the Xbox version. It's on a Vevor stand. Cheers

There's a £1 final fee due this friday on eBay so I'd stick it on there. I'd start an auction at around £170 with £20 postage on top then see what happens, I've seen similar setups go for as much as £210.

Yeah, I don't know the value but it's a good time to sell. Especially if you can be arsed boxing it up and getting a shipping quote so you're not just restricted to local pickups.

Finally finished a successful race in ACC at 11th without hitting a thing.. right up until the very last corner where some cheeky ***$% clipped me from the side and sent me off into the gravel. Span like a loon and dropped to 23rd place out of 25 :wacko: It's very difficult and quite a serious racing sim but I do love how if you make enough effort you will get there eventually. I've been leaving Dirt Rally 2.0 well alone since I've been so focused but I thought I'd give that a go and managed to come in 16th on my first rally, followed by driving better at some proper track race too.  I am getting how to swing the back end about and slide with a cheeky zoom off on the power but not having a handbrake is just wrong. Pressing the B button is drivel and I kept wishing I could reach down, slide and brake. So it's going on my list in the near future.. just need to find somewhere to put it, don't think I won't it stuck upright in the air as that's not how I use it in my car. Down by the side is best.

Going back to ACC and I think my biggest problem is the main races can take ages and I'm not comfortable enough to tackle the career until I'm way better. I want to be driving like a nutcase, can't help it so I'm starting to look at Forza Horizon 4 more and more. My wheel is fully compatible with games on the X so I started looking at buying one of those consoles. It must be available by now surely I thought.. dear oh dear :lol: no chance. Looks like the PC version is the way to go for now, few of the reviews mention that it's an open world driving game and scenes of slinging a Warthog around a beach brought back crazy Blood Gulch memberberries of yesteryear. Any thoughts on it? Will I have more fun with that rather than being so serious all the time with ACC?

10 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

There's a £1 final fee due this friday on eBay so I'd stick it on there. I'd start an auction at around £170 with £20 postage on top then see what happens, I've seen similar setups go for as much as £210.

Cheers man!  I've just upgraded my AV amp so I'll be listing my old one tomorrow now :D