Rllmuk racing wheel thread

1 hour ago, Valver said:

OK PC racers - looks like I'll have a chunk of cash post Xmas/Birthday.  Lucky me.

I'm considering upgrading my PC wheel and pedals.  I don't need it to work on Xbox or PS5, but if it did, that's a bonus.

I'm currently running a Logitech G29

I think my budget will be about £800.  I already have a dedicated seat/frame combo to mount stuff on... (a GameRacer Pro)

What would be a significant step up?  I'm finding the Fanatec site way too confusing - too many options.  Any pointers appreciated.

If you want to go Fanatec, I can recommend the CSL Elite bundle for PC and Playstation. You can add the CSL Elite pedals (no clutch, mind you) to that bundle as well.

Or get the CSL base for PC and Playstation separately and pick your rim and pedals separately, which will still fit in your budget.

So there's 3 types of drives with FFB wheels: gear-, belt- and direct drive.

Gear driven wheels are the cheapest which you'll find in bottom range wheels. They are the noisiest of the 3 and can have quite a bit of play in its mechanics (especially over time)  which can cause feedback forces to spill, giving you less feedback as a result.

Belt driven wheels are found in mid-to-top range wheels, and has been the standard for that tier for quite some time until the Direct Drive wheels were introduced. Belt drives have less play in them compared to gear driven ffb motors, which result in less spilling of feedback forces and thus a better feel.

Direct drive wheels are expensive and the new top range choice. They have next to no play at all, as the wheel's axle is directly connected to the FFB motor. These wheels require a metal rig (because of the huge forces these wheel bases generate), and it is recommended that you fix the rig to the floor even. It requires a switch to be attached to it as well in case the motor goes out of control.

39 minutes ago, Valver said:

Ta - I'll go take a look at that wheel.

I was wondering if a pedal upgrade with a load cell, might be my best first upgrade actually....  

My Rift does me well for VR - Im not hearing great things about the tracking for the G2, so I think I'll skip a VR upgrade for now. 

Thrustmaster PS-PC and T-LCM pedals (which I have) come out at around £740:-

https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/pc/ts-pc-racer-ferrari-488-challenge-edition.html

https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/pc/t-lcm-pedals.html

The Fanatec options (CSL Elite base, a rim and load cell pedals) come out a little cheaper (after some crude euro to pound conversion).

As mentioned, both are pretty equivalent in terms of power and technology.

2 hours ago, Valver said:

OK PC racers - looks like I'll have a chunk of cash post Xmas/Birthday.  Lucky me.

I'm considering upgrading my PC wheel and pedals.  I don't need it to work on Xbox or PS5, but if it did, that's a bonus.

I'm currently running a Logitech G29

I think my budget will be about £800.  I already have a dedicated seat/frame combo to mount stuff on... (a GameRacer Pro)

What would be a significant step up?  I'm finding the Fanatec site way too confusing - too many options.  Any pointers appreciated.

At that budget you could consider the fanatec Clubsport (CSW 2.5) which is a step up from the CSL Elite, looks great. 

In so far as CSL Elite vs TS-PC, the deal breaker could be the type of rim you like, I read the formula rim on the TS-PC has a bigger diameter and chunkier grips, which is good, but the fanatec has a better layout/construction, so it's a personal thing. This is a review between those 3 wheels:

https://www.isrtv.com/reviews/fanatec-csl-elite-vs-thrustmaster-ts-pc-racer-vs-fanatec-clubsport-wheel-base-v2-head-to-head/#:~:text=Through the rotation of the,the other hand is inconsistent.

(I'd be wary of him claiming he immediately went a second faster with the CSW, not very scientific :lol: it could be that particular car/track/driver combo works well for that wheel...but hey maybe it is that much better) 

I got the load cell brake for the Csl Elite at home and have to say I didn't struggle as much as I expected going back to the G27 pedals I'm using over Xmas. The main difference is when you don't press the brakes fully, or when you modulate, the load cell gives you more consistency and the fanatec pedals just feel beautiful and realistic, specially compared to the thrustmaster t3pa pedals I had before, the brakes on that were terrible! Wouldn't recommend that pedal set. @SharkyOB hated them as well. In the end I made myself a brake mod with a piece of rubber I found in a London back alley and that worked much better Hahaha 

Edit: sounds super dodgy that, not an euphemism

4 hours ago, Meers said:

Which led display are you referring to?

This, I spotted the plate on the wheeland thought.......'something nice could go on there' and while it is nice, possibly a tad extravagant for GT Sport?

1_-BTLedDisplay_ON.jpg

1 hour ago, davejm said:

@Meers...

Yep I've seen that in an email they sent me. I posted that a couple of days ago8-)

Thing is, it's not priced yet but I expect silly amounts. Hence I'm looking for a second hand V1.

1 hour ago, marsh said:

This, I spotted the plate on the wheeland thought.......'something nice could go on there' and while it is nice, possibly a tad extravagant for GT Sport?

1_-BTLedDisplay_ON.jpg

Hmm, I think I wouldn't be bothered with that as there's not much info on it. The HUD is more useful I reckon.

I'm using the Sim Dashboard app on my phone where you can add all that stuff and more yourself. I've fixed a silicon phone case on my wheel base and put my phone in there when I'm playing. It's great!

20200905_235535.thumb.jpg.41dae0af792cf00e8520768b93153a79.jpg

20200905_235558.thumb.jpg.25629a6ecc8ab6b05be9727e8a84578f.jpg

320653261_Screenshot_20201217-134410_SIMDashboard.thumb.jpg.de74c9b897e121a64534beb760f8f49f.jpg

2 hours ago, Valver said:

I don't need it to work on Xbox or PS5, but if it did, that's a bonus.

yeah the fanatec site is pretty confusing. if you want it to work on both consoles i believe you need the ps4 base:

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-officially-licensed-for-playstation

and an xbox wheel, like this one:

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-steering-wheel-wrc

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

It's on sale now, €200

Oh man, I'm confused, sorry.

The GT3 rim I linked to is a completely new one, not available or priced yet.

The McLaren V2 one you linked to is €200 indeed. A bit too steep for me still.

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

Oh man, I'm confused, sorry.

The GT3 rim I linked to is a completely new one, not available or priced yet.

The McLaren V2 one you linked to is €200 indeed. A bit too steep for me still.

Yeah, I posted the V2 info because I thought I'd seen you mention that you were looking for one of the McLaren rims.  So I didn't know if you were aware there was a V2 coming out.

On 17/12/2020 at 11:14, davejm said:

Thrustmaster PS-PC and T-LCM pedals (which I have) come out at around £740:-

https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/pc/ts-pc-racer-ferrari-488-challenge-edition.html

https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/pc/t-lcm-pedals.html

The Fanatec options (CSL Elite base, a rim and load cell pedals) come out a little cheaper (after some crude euro to pound conversion).

As mentioned, both are pretty equivalent in terms of power and technology.

Still window shopping /researching - but your suggested setup looks to be the best bet right now.  I really like the 488 replica wheel too...

My credit card is looking worried :D

31 minutes ago, Valver said:

Still window shopping /researching - but your suggested setup looks to be the best bet right now.  I really like the 488 replica wheel too...

My credit card is looking worried :D

It's a wonderful setup. 

Just one note of caution: although the wheel is awesome and super high quality, it is quite large and as such you can't reach the buttons with your thumbs.  I've got the open wheel rim too, which I use for ACC as it's lighter and smaller and it's handy being able to use my thumbs for push to talk and for MFD cycling without moving my hands from the grip.

You can buy the open wheel rim version of the TS-PC, but the Ferrari challenge rim isn't available separately and it's such a lovely wheel I'd probably always choose to get the Challenge version even if I'm not using that rim much.  When I get my shifter (New Year's present to myself) I'm going to spend more time in AC and with other cars and to give the challenge wheel some more love.  It's bloody lovely to use.

You definitely can use the buttons with your thumbs (I can with my bass player's hands anyway!!), although it's not as easy as it was with my T300.  I love all the extra buttons and dials you get on this rim, I've got so many of the functions in ACC bound now I only really need to use the MFD for pitstop stuff.

I think it might depend on where you grip the wheel, and I'm talking specifically about being able to push them without changing or releasing grip. At 3 & 9 my thumbs don't even touch near to the buttons let alone enable me to push them in, unless I move my grip further up the wheel or release entirely.  Although it's not exactly hard to release the grip from time to time anyway, so in all honesty I wouldn't let this put you off in any way Valver.  The extra dials and buttons are very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of selling my T150 with T3PA Pedals and upgrading to a T300. (anybody selling :)

Are the stock pedals on the T300 OK? 

36 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm thinking of selling my T150 with T3PA Pedals and upgrading to a T300. (anybody selling :)

Are the stock pedals on the T300 OK? 

Nope they are pretty much as useless as the t150 stock pedals.

I will be selling my T300, but not for a while. Waiting for the Fanatec BWM rim...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Thrustmaster have announced if they are bringing out new wheels? I did an quick search but couldnt find anything. 

Seems strange that they wouldnt be up to something, given the popularity of sim racing during lockdown. Even trying to get a T300 or a T150 for new is a nightmare right now. 

No idea. I do know however that Brexit has put my wheel plans on hold. Import duty on £2k of Fanatec gear? + another 600 to Simlab for the cockpit? No thanks. I dread to think what it would be.

I'm hoping someone smart will realise people in the UK stopped ordering but still want to buy and do something smart like open up a hub here.

argh that's a good point Mexos. 

Although to be fair, no idea where I'd put a semi-permanent rig in my flat. 

Still, my weekly visits to the Fanatec website will have to become monthly I guess...

2 hours ago, mexos said:

No idea. I do know however that Brexit has put my wheel plans on hold. Import duty on £2k of Fanatec gear? + another 600 to Simlab for the cockpit? No thanks. I dread to think what it would be.

I'm hoping someone smart will realise people in the UK stopped ordering but still want to buy and do something smart like open up a hub here.

So what if... someone who's not a company and a citizen of the EU would buy it for you and then send it to the UK... would that make a difference?

Heh I did think about that :hat:  . Another option is getting it shipped to my girlfriends mum in Germany then bringing it back in luggage.  It’s all a bit of a faff mind.

I’ll give it a while and see what happens. I get the feeling some more thing might change in the future. These duties help no one.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded my pedals from Thrustmaster T-3PA to T-LCM. Not had a chance to get used to them yet but they seem really solid. The shell is plastic but that’s over a metal skeleton, so it feels really solid.

A point to note though, the fixing points are different to the T-3PA so I’ve had to do a bit of drilling on the footplate of my wheelstand as the pre-drilled slots and holes didn’t match up.

Also the pedals are a lot more vertical as standard than T-3PA so I’ve had to flatten the angle of the footplate to get it how I’m comfy.

I think realistically they belong in a full sim rig so you’ve got plenty of rigidity, as they can be set to take up to something daft like 100Kg pressure.

I’ve had a play with the calibration software and I think I’ve got it how I want it. I’ve noticed most of the YouTube videos where they review or set them up the get things wrong and give bad advice, like what the supplied washers do and how spring strength effects it. If anyone buys one and wants a bit of advice let me know. 

On 27/01/2021 at 15:58, Ry said:

Does anyone know if Thrustmaster have announced if they are bringing out new wheels? I did an quick search but couldnt find anything. 

A teaser for a new wheel has popped up.  No details - looks like a Ferrari F1 style rim.  Hopefully its a new base that's Direct Drive to compete with Fanatec's Podium line!

https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaster-new-wheel-april-20210208/

I'm still amazed that the only wheel you can buy new (that isn't a crazy expensive fanatec) is the Logitech G29. 

These companies have totally missed a beat with the increasing popularity of sim racing. 

11 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm still amazed that the only wheel you can buy new (that isn't a crazy expensive fanatec) is the Logitech G29. 

These companies have totally missed a beat with the increasing popularity of sim racing. 

The Thrustmaster wheels have been in stock.  I bought my son a T300 for Christmas from Box (it was even on offer at £220) and a open wheel rim from Amazon.

I'm interested in getting some racing wheels for older consoles, mainly the Saturn and PS1/2, and I was wondering if there were any that people here would recommend which have hand pedals (as well as gears etc) instead of a separate set of foot pedals? I know the Saturn Arcade Racer is well-liked, and it'd probably be more than adequate for my needs (pretty casual Touge King, Daytona and Initial D play), but is there anything equivalent on the PS? Or is trying to save on money and space by avoiding pedals just a terrible idea? :P

I have a NegCon and enjoy using it with Ridge Racer Revolution, but I'm still interested in trying out a racing wheel at home without fully going down the "half a car in the bedroom" rabbit hole.

Cheers!