IGNORED

Rllmuk racing wheel thread

TommyG

Okey-dokey folks! I been seeing you lot in the GT Sport topic having fun on it and am thinking I might want in on some of this action.

I've been playing a little GT on the controller doing okay'ish, but thinking perhaps I'm needing a wheel to get the most enjoyment out of it. Plus some Dirt Rally etc with it no doubt.

So I ask of your experienced wisdom to help guide and advise me please for what I should be considering? I'm only a relatively inexperienced rookie racer and I got a big list of Lego sets I need to buy, so don't want to be dropping mega money on some super high end setup, but equally I don't want something crappy. From some looking around myself it seems Logitech G29 and Thrustmaster T300 RS seem to be solid mid-range options. Looks like maybe the T300 is the bit better wheel, but pedals not so much unless I get the GT edition with some T3PA pedals, which is up around £300+. Are the standard pedals OK, or junk?

I know I've seen it cheaper before on black friday etc, but £200 at box.co.uk for a G29 with the extra shifter and bundled with F1 2019 what I could sell/trade for make it a little cheaper. This looks decent enough and the price definitely a bit more friendly. Especially if I get addicted and decide I need a proper upgrade in the future.

I will also need something to mount it on so I'm leaning toward the G29 again there so I don't make myself completely skint.
Then moving on to mounting it...space is a consideration so no bid massive full bucket seat frame things. Is a Wheel Stand Pro still the default best choice? The GT Omega looks quite decent and solid and not too huge.

11 minutes ago, Meatball said:

I'm only a relatively inexperienced rookie racer

:lol:

yeah basically what you said, there's not really any easy/cheap option, it's a choice between the T300 - better/smoother/stronger force feedback but probably worse reliability and not great pedals (i used them for a bit so they are "useable" if youre careful with them, but they are light, move about/tip over quite easily - if you've got something to attach them to they might be better - and i was very happy to get an adapter to let me use g25 pedals instead) - or spend more and get the better pedals. or the G29 - better pedals, imo better build quality and cheaper. there's a 3rd option of the T150 which i believe has the smoother/better (but i think weaker) force feedback from the T300 but should be a bit cheaper. 

The T150 is an ok wheel but the T300 is better than it at everything, especially force feedback.

Imo I’d invest in a proper set of pedals over a more expensive wheel. The wheel is important but the pedals will have the biggest impact on your speed.

@Meatball

I have the T300 and it's an excellent wheel.  I use a set of modified Logitech G25 pedals with it, but I have used the original pedals (not the fancy T3PA ones) and they weren't total shit, but weren't great either.  They could potentially tide you over though, so maybe consider getting the base T300, then upgrading the pedals at a later date?  One of the good things about this stuff is it's all modular, so you can build a decent setup over a period of time, rather than going totally crazy at the start.

Why is the G29 better for mounting initially, does it have a better clamp system than the T300?  I have to say, in my experience the clamp on my wheel is not great (although I don't use it anymore)!  Stand wise, I have an old Fanatec Rennsport stand, had to drill it with new holes when I switched to Thrustmaster.

19 hours ago, Meatball said:

Okey-dokey folks! I been seeing you lot in the GT Sport topic having fun on it and am thinking I might want in on some of this action.

I've been playing a little GT on the controller doing okay'ish, but thinking perhaps I'm needing a wheel to get the most enjoyment out of it. Plus some Dirt Rally etc with it no doubt.

So I ask of your experienced wisdom to help guide and advise me please for what I should be considering? I'm only a relatively inexperienced rookie racer and I got a big list of Lego sets I need to buy, so don't want to be dropping mega money on some super high end setup, but equally I don't want something crappy. From some looking around myself it seems Logitech G29 and Thrustmaster T300 RS seem to be solid mid-range options. Looks like maybe the T300 is the bit better wheel, but pedals not so much unless I get the GT edition with some T3PA pedals, which is up around £300+. Are the standard pedals OK, or junk?

I know I've seen it cheaper before on black friday etc, but £200 at box.co.uk for a G29 with the extra shifter and bundled with F1 2019 what I could sell/trade for make it a little cheaper. This looks decent enough and the price definitely a bit more friendly. Especially if I get addicted and decide I need a proper upgrade in the future.

I will also need something to mount it on so I'm leaning toward the G29 again there so I don't make myself completely skint.
Then moving on to mounting it...space is a consideration so no bid massive full bucket seat frame things. Is a Wheel Stand Pro still the default best choice? The GT Omega looks quite decent and solid and not too huge.

I much prefer the T300 RS over the G29 - force feedback alone is so much better on the Thrustmaster unit.

Also in terms of feeling and general refinement (though I'm using an Alcantara 599XX rim).

Cheers guys, I'll have a think on it.

I'm not sure on the quality of clamping methods @SharkyOB, I'd be getting a stand and hard mounting to that with the screws/bolts so I guess they'd both be just as secure there. My thinking of going more tempted initially by the G29 is for thinking it'd probably be much of an improvement over using a pad anyway and do me good enough and save me some cash. But now I'm more leaning towards sod it, splash out a bit more on the T300 RS :D. The extra cost maybe not so bad if I think of it spread over the length of time I'll hopefully be using it for if it is ok still on the next gen of console.

Alcantara might be a stretch too far for me though @McSpeed. Do you wear gloves while on that?

35 minutes ago, Meatball said:

Alcantara might be a stretch too far for me though @McSpeed. Do you wear gloves while on that?

I have started to wear racing gloves recently (bought a pair of Sparcos on sale for 35 quid or so), though the Alcantara rim is actually really nice on your bare hands.

Would actually recommend wearing gloves in the stock rim as that felt a bit to rough on the skin too me.

1 minute ago, Junker said:

I use Thrustmaster T-150 pro so got half decent wheel and the good pedals. Set me back about £150 after shopping around. For half the cost of a T300 I’m happy for now

T150 is an excellent choice too, may well be better than the G29 even though that's benchmarked towards the T300.

7 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Would actually recommend wearing gloves in the stock rim as that felt a bit to rough on the skin too me.

I've built up a bit of resistance to my wheel now, but it did cause a bit of soreness at first.  Nothing major and I don't get any issues from flinging the cars around in Dirt Rally 2.0 anymore!  That game is glorious in VR btw, it's just a shame you need the Oculus version to get decent performance on PC.

I have the original Sidewinder wheel, which is the closest I've come across to racing equipment. Force-feedback on this is a little bit retro, but it's close to simulating a pimped out Mini Cooper with race-track bits. Fairly sure Microsoft sold these things at a financial loss.

Edit: For some reason I can't find a single photo of an F1 cockpit which is real. They've all been modded to look like the console toys, so I guess Darwinian evolution only left us with the Cooper. < forced > Ya mein Furher! Das est Gut. </ forced >

980d2e4261c2191caf564855a42aab3c.jpg

pl6-1.jpg

volante-microsoft-sidewinder-force-feedback-wheel-excelente-D_NQ_NP_792209-MLM27550497771_062018-F.jpg

The boy got his G29 the other week and immediately complained about the level of force feedback. I told him he needed to 'grow a pair' <_<

I think he's figured it out, judging by the fucking noise it makes.

The T150 arrived back from France after having the PCB replaced, with an extended holiday looming on the horizon and payday, I should get into my shed and knock one out.

A rig that is.

6 minutes ago, marsh said:

A rig that is.

You reminded me of 18 Wheeler at the arcades. Oh but the best was the Ridge Racer sit in car. Grafix of which were really future in 1994. And you can have your GF sit in the passenger or have scrubs in the back (No Scrubs), and also since the thing doesn't move several punks either sitting on the bonnet or hanging from the back - even like Marty Mcfly pretendeding to skate along the track at 100mph. Value for money anyway.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ridge_racer_full_scale_stockton.jpg

I'm not sure a Subaru Forester Turbo is going to have the same kind of..........kudos? suitable for Spintyres Mud Runner perhaps?

That's not a conversation I want to have with Mrs M: 'I've decided to completely mothball the subaru, and turn it into a permanent garden ornament that'll I'll go and sit in frequently and swear at quite alot'

I wonder if the sills on that MX5 rusted out....

5 hours ago, marsh said:

The boy got his G29 the other week and immediately complained about the level of force feedback. I told him he needed to 'grow a pair' <_<

I think he's figured it out, judging by the fucking noise it makes.

What, too little or too much? I've always found the G29 awfully weak and rattly in terms of force feedback.

5 hours ago, marsh said:

with an extended holiday looming on the horizon and payday, I should get into my shed and knock one out.

A rig that is.

Never change please.

18 hours ago, McSpeed said:

What, too little or too much? I've always found the G29 awfully weak and rattly in terms of force feedback.

Never change please.

Too much. Was trying to replicate some Ginetta action in Project Cars 2 and couldn't keep it pointed in a straight line. I quite like the fact it's giving him a work out if I'm honest. Seems to be using it a fair amount for Farming Sim at the moment.....

And :hat: to the other.

Alrighty then, Wheel Stand Pro and T300 RS GT Edt are arrived. Ready for some GT Sport practice try to get myself acclimatised with it. 

Is there any suggested recommended game / wheel settings I should be tweaking? I see some couple of options for torque and sensitivity :huh: 

• 4 months later...

You are of course most welcome, that must have been a fairly serious investment?

My first pc cost a grand back in the early 90's and was fairly shit by it's own standards for the era. F1 circus on the megadrive though :wub:

17 hours ago, marsh said:

You are of course most welcome, that must have been a fairly serious investment?

My first pc cost a grand back in the early 90's and was fairly shit by it's own standards for the era. F1 circus on the megadrive though :wub:

I've no idea how much the wheel cost. I do remember how much my dad spent on our first really modern PC.

We got it in 1994. It was a 486 DX2/66 with 8MB of RAM and a 500MB hard disk. It had a 2x CD-ROM drive and an external 14.4kbps modem, and it ran DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11. It cost £1,600.00.

Apparently that's equivalent to about £3,000.00 today. Yikes.

Yep that sounds about right, we paid about that for a Compaq 486/25 with 4MB and 500MB a year earlier and then the same in late 1996 for a Dell with a P200 / 16MB / 2gb.

I'm speccing out a new PC for games, development, heavy video work and I'm coming out to £2500 but actually that's really not bad given it'll have 200 times the processor mhz with 2000 times the memory and 31000x the storage of that 90s Dell.

Not to mention the graphics power difference between a pre-Direct3D S3 Virge and a Nvidia 2070 Super.

• 3 months later...

There's been a bit of chat in the Gran Turismo thread about pedals and it has got me thinking.

I've got a Thrustmaster T150 with the stock two-pedal set. I'm happy enough with the wheel - but the pedals, while functional, aren't really much good.

So I've been thinking about buying a nicer set of pedals. I figure the obvious options are either the Thrustmaster T3PA, or a Logitech set with an adapter (was it @SharkyOB that gave me that idea?)

In either case I'll have a clutch pedal sitting there not doing anything, which naturally got me looking at shifters, and by golly is the Thrustmaster shifter expensive! It's north of £150, whereas I've seen the Logitech shifter for as little as £45 BNIB (and about half that in CEX, back in the Outside Times when you could buy things in shops).

Does anyone know why the TM shifter is so much more expensive? Is it three times as good?

And is there an adapter, like the pedal adapter, to use a Logitech shifter with the Thrustmaster wheel?

That may well have been me! I have a Thrustmaster T300 and a Logitech G25 pedal set that I use via an adaptor.

I have a Thrustmaster shifter but I'm sure I didn't pay that much for it, I'll look into it. No idea if there's a similar adaptor available for the shifter, mine doesn't connect to the wheel base though, it's connected straight to the pc via a separate usb.

Edit - Bloody hell, that shifter is expensive! I'm sure I wouldn't have paid £150 for it but I bought mine years ago so can't remember now. 

I do have a PC but I mainly use the wheel for GT Sport on the PS4 so I would be looking for one that connects directly to the wheel base. I think it has a mini-DIN socket which must be for the shifter, and then the telephone-style socket for the pedals.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

I've got a Thrustmaster T150 with the stock two-pedal set. I'm happy enough with the wheel - but the pedals, while functional, aren't really much good.

So I've been thinking about buying a nicer set of pedals. I figure the obvious options are either the Thrustmaster T3PA, or a Logitech set with an adapter (was it @SharkyOB that gave me that idea?)

In either case I'll have a clutch pedal sitting there not doing anything, which naturally got me looking at shifters, and by golly is the Thrustmaster shifter expensive! It's north of £150, whereas I've seen the Logitech shifter for as little as £45 BNIB (and about half that in CEX, back in the Outside Times when you could buy things in shops).

Does anyone know why the TM shifter is so much more expensive? Is it three times as good?

And is there an adapter, like the pedal adapter, to use a Logitech shifter with the Thrustmaster wheel?

I have the Thrustmaster shifter and it has a very different, more solid feel to it than the Logitech shifter. The latter is effectively a flimsy piece of plastic (which still does the job, don't get me wrong) while the Thrustmaster (TH8A) is mostly made out of metal and more solid plastic.

It also has a metal H-pattern (much like older Ferrari's) with a very satisfying 'clunk' whenever you put it in gear - and can be flipped 90 degrees to use it as a sequential gearshifter. Very nice piece of kit, although I can very much imagine spending 150 quid on it is a bit steep.

Also, I found the shifter didn't really do it for me when mounted right next to the wheel on a Wheelstand Pro, as I initially had. Only now that I've got it bolted to the side of a Playseat Sensation Pro, situated much lower and thus more like an actual old-school race car, that I love to use it :)

35 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I do have a PC but I mainly use the wheel for GT Sport on the PS4 so I would be looking for one that connects directly to the wheel base. I think it has a mini-DIN socket which must be for the shifter, and then the telephone-style socket for the pedals.

This is correct. There is also a hub to connect multiple DIN devices (such as both the TH8A and a Thrustmaster TSS Sparco handbrake mod).

16 hours ago, McSpeed said:

I have the Thrustmaster shifter and it has a very different, more solid feel to it than the Logitech shifter. The latter is effectively a flimsy piece of plastic (which still does the job, don't get me wrong) while the Thrustmaster (TH8A) is mostly made out of metal and more solid plastic.

It also has a metal H-pattern (much like older Ferrari's) with a very satisfying 'clunk' whenever you put it in gear - and can be flipped 90 degrees to use it as a sequential gearshifter. Very nice piece of kit, although I can very much imagine spending 150 quid on it is a bit steep.

Also, I found the shifter didn't really do it for me when mounted right next to the wheel on a Wheelstand Pro, as I initially had. Only now that I've got it bolted to the side of a Playseat Sensation Pro, situated much lower and thus more like an actual old-school race car, that I love to use it :)

I think this is the big problem for me. I have a fairly basic upright stand, pictured on the previous page, and I sit on a normal upright chair (with legs, not castors). The TV is quite high up so I need to sit high.

I feel like I'd need a racing seat to get value out of a clutch and gearshifter. That would mean a dedicated TV and probably a second PS4 (both relatively easy) and a dedicated space (much harder).