rllmuk
TommyG

Rllmuk racing wheel thread

Mine lives on its stand and I just lift the whole thing into a different room when I'm not using it. 

IMG_1063.thumb.JPG.0f7826b3b981565e5389604a85325533.JPG

I could un-clamp the wheel from the tabletop bit and then collapse/fold the stand away. But honestly that sounds like effort and I'm lucky to have a corner I can just chuck the whole thing into. 

• Upvote 1

That is really lovely to watch, thanks for the recommendation. I love that even though they have a fancy Fanatec rig in the room, he chooses to go for the Logitech G 29 saying “this looks like something I could afford“.

Thanks to this thread bump and that video, i have just bought a G920 with shifter, and a wheel stand pro (av forums, £150). Will get it on Friday.

Quite excited, like a kid at Christmas. I do really like playing racing games with a pad, as always have done, but will persevere with the wheel until i get good enough to get my own green suit. Is it harder with a wheel, initially?

• Upvote 3

Maybe. But the rewards are huge once you get going and it clicks. You'll be flying in no time and you'll never go back to a pad for racing. ^_^

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pavey said:

Thanks to this thread bump and that video, i have just bought a G920 with shifter, and a wheel stand pro (av forums, £150). Will get it on Friday.

Quite excited, like a kid at Christmas. I do really like playing racing games with a pad, as always have done, but will persevere with the wheel until i get good enough to get my own green suit. Is it harder with a wheel, initially?

I really struggled with using a Logitech wheel with GT3 and GT4 for quite a while, to the point where I actually gave up and went back to a pad. However, it all just clicked with the official 360 wireless wheel and Forza Motorsport 4. It just felt right. 

I’ve spent a lot of money on wheels, with a Fanatec CSR elite and logitech for xbone sat in my spare room unused now.

The Fanatec was amazing and the X360 era Forza and Horizons gave wonderful grip and feel, then something with the drivers or implementation of FFB went downhill and things like the newer Horizons never felt as good and always seemed to have issues. 

• Upvote 1

I remember the first time I bought a force feedback wheel, a Gran Tourismo bundle for PS2 I think.

Feeling the road and fighting the wheel in corners felt amazing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Pavey said:

I struggle with the brake pedal on my G920. I have to change the settings in the games to map the brake pedal differently as I cannot come close to pressing it down all the way. I'm contemplating modding it by opening it up and removing a bit of the rubber that provides the resistance. Apparently it's a bit variable so you may not notice it.

If you can afford it I highly recommend a load cell brake. Massive difference for your consistency and comfort. I'm still using my old Fanatec pedals from 2012. Never felt a reason to upgrade them. I've had 3 wheels in that time.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

If you can afford it I highly recommend a load cell brake. Massive difference for your consistency and comfort. I'm still using my old Fanatec pedals from 2012. Never felt a reason to upgrade them. I've had 3 wheels in that time.

Yeah I'd like to do that but I don't think the G29 lets you mix pedals on PS4. Think it's fine on PC though.

I’ve got a BBJ conical brake mod in my Thrustmaster T3PA pros. Really works for progressive brake feel. Much better than the stock one. Would love to try a load cell. For me the brake pressure feel is probably the most important thing about the whole setup.

20 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I struggle with the brake pedal on my G920. I have to change the settings in the games to map the brake pedal differently as I cannot come close to pressing it down all the way. I'm contemplating modding it by opening it up and removing a bit of the rubber that provides the resistance. Apparently it's a bit variable so you may not notice it.

I use the clutch as the brake for this reason.

On 16/07/2019 at 11:49, LowCostMonkey said:

Only got my 920 today as the seller was busy and not able to drop it off. First impressions; damn it's heavy, and the wheel stand pro has to be done up tight or i found everything moved in the heat of the action. The brake pedal is indeed incredibly stiff to push.

I also instantly regretted buying it while playing Forza 7, as i am really shit at it. The Audi RS something i had had the worst tyres on it, and i slid all over the damn place. Plus my seat was too low and my neck started hurting, and i'm tired....:(

Then turned on all the assists i could find in the menu and that made it a more pleasant experience. I will persevere though and keep the thought in my head that it is much better with a wheel once you get in the zone. Felt amazing to complete 5 laps, and the last two i didn't crash (i'm sure i was overtaken by my mum though in her Rover 100 Knightsbridge).

Watch this space!

• Upvote 1

Honestly, you're better off learning with assists off, at least TC/SC.

Because yeah it's easier to learn with them but then when you turn them off to be more realistic/go quicker you're basically back to square 1 again.

Also worth diving into the wheel settings on a forza to check what your're using, do you have the full driving sim model enabled or not, degrees of rotation a big one (too few and everything is a go cart, too many and everything an american muscle car) then look at things like the dead zone in the middle, FFB levels etc.

Can take a while to dial in a setup that gives you feel you happy with

Interesting shenaningans in our household with wheels. I'd done a deal with my boy on his T150 where I'd have that when he got his saitek farming sim wheel (a load of crap btw) which subsequently broke. It was second hand and I'd not paid alot for it and the control panel is half decent so while it's an option to return the saitek, I'm keeping it until the panel fails...

The boy subsequently has got back into F1 on his PS4 and I figured I'd give him back his t150 and I'd go and get something else. Turns out the T150 is broken! that's been sent back to France as part of what I can only describe as Logitech's superb warranty process. So basically I'll be having the T150 when it returns and the boy will be sinking his own money into a G29. I feel like I might have got the worse end of the deal somehow...

5 minutes ago, marsh said:

The boy subsequently has got back into F1 on his PS4 and I figured I'd give him back his t150 and I'd go and get something else. Turns out the T150 is broken! that's been sent back to France as part of what I can only describe as Logitech's superb warranty process. So basically I'll be having the T150 when it returns and the boy will be sinking his own money into a G29. I feel like I might have got the worse end of the deal somehow...

Why are Logitech repairing a Thrustmaster wheel? 

Also, you defo are getting the worse wheel, I think the T300 is roughly equivalent to a G29.  I have the T300 and it's excellent.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

Why are Logitech repairing a Thrustmaster wheel? 

Also, you defo are getting the worse wheel, I think the T300 is roughly equivalent to a G29.  I have the T300 and it's excellent.

No, my bad, logitech are fixing the t150. I'll have that when it comes back and the boy is going to go and buy a g29.

8 minutes ago, marsh said:

No, my bad, logitech are fixing the t150. I'll have that when it comes back and the boy is going to go and buy a g29.

Logitech still fixing that Thrustmaster T150 then? ;)

• Upvote 1

Currently sitting next to a huge pile of wheels as the brilliant folks at Thrustmaster sent us a load of hardware. We're adding wheel support to our game "Dangerous Driving" so we've been re-acquainting ourselves with some different titles. Last time I was involved with steering wheels was probably the very first "Burnout" title back in 2000. Things have certainly come along since then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrashedAlex said:

Currently sitting next to a huge pile of wheels as the brilliant folks at Thrustmaster sent us a load of hardware. We're adding wheel support to our game "Dangerous Driving" so we've been re-acquainting ourselves with some different titles. Last time I was involved with steering wheels was probably the very first "Burnout" title back in 2000. Things have certainly come along since then.

Let me know if you need any help with testing any of that out :P

Dangerous Driving with a wheel sounds like and interesting concept but surely it would be more suited to a pad as the reflex's required are so fast?.  

This thread has inspired me, in conjunction with the imminent release of Wreckfest on consoles.

I'm taking one last run at salvaging ££££££ of Fanatec CSR Elite and pedals boxed up in my spare room and just bought one of those Drivehub adaptors, which claims to let you use your older pre 'wheelgate' wheels with the newer consoles.

Reviews seem positive and my plan is to get the CSR Elite set up on my PS4 Pro for the launch day of Wreckfest - that game looks like its crying out for a good FFB wheel to sling cars round those bumpy tracks

• Upvote 3

@parrapatheslapper Well, a few players have contacted us and asked for it so as we have the hardware we're doing it. I used to play a lot of Daytona in the arcade and that was a fast arcade game and felt good on a wheel to me. We've done over ten Updates to the game since launch - starting slowly and building it up. We've added Online racing, an ELO System, put Vertical Takedowns into the game - this week we're adding HDR Support on One X and finishing off adding Road Rage online into the game.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

@parrapatheslapper Well, a few players have contacted us and asked for it so as we have the hardware we're doing it. I used to play a lot of Daytona in the arcade and that was a fast arcade game and felt good on a wheel to me. We've done over ten Updates to the game since launch - starting slowly and building it up. We've added Online racing, an ELO System, put Vertical Takedowns into the game - this week we're adding HDR Support on One X and finishing off adding Road Rage online into the game.

Nice! and totally agree about Daytona in the arcade been perfect with a wheel.  It will be interesting to see how this plays.  Assume you will be looking to support other wheels than Thrustmaster?

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Wreckfest - that game looks like its crying out for a good FFB wheel to sling cars round those bumpy tracks

Totally - I tried my G29 with the PC version ages ago but couldn't get it to work properly (for the record Wreckfest is amazing!) but hoping that is sorted for the console release.

7 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Logitech still fixing that Thrustmaster T150 then? ;)

I'm on holiday, and now I'm starting to think I've sent the wrong wheel to the wrong place.....

• Empathy 1