Miles Davis

Don Rosco

So good. That's from this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427541/ it's full of interviews with all the players and some critics and stuff. He's a spiky little character, is Keith Jarrett. We could do a whole other thread with highlights of people that played with Miles, but here's probably Keith's best known moment. Just one man and his piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKcVPOHjeNY

I can't figure out why but his stuff has never really grabbed me properly. I've got Kind of Blue, Filles De Killimanjaro (Probably my favourite), Bitches Brew and Waterbabies, any pointers on what else I should try? Someone big into metal told me Dark Magus was the heaviest album they ever heard, that definitely appeals to me.

Regardless of whether I like the music or not, he was a cool fucker and there are some amazing stories about the guy!

Yeah Jack Johnson is a great starting point, I stupidly dived head first into Miles a couple of years back and got totally lost, but Jack Johnson clicked for me much easier than the rest, not to say it's his best - but you know it's a good starting point.

I liked Bitches Brew too, not as complex or difficult as some people would have you believe.

Yeah, Jack Johnson is amazing. It's just two massive funky blues jams, it's a bit more conventional and live than some of the other electric stuff. After that, i'd go In a Silent Way, which is just beautiful, and On the Corner. From Pirate Bay via that youtube video up there: "An electrified and multidimensional burst of ass-shaking funk straight from the master himself. If Sly Stone and Jimi Hendrix took a space ship to India together, they very well might have come up with something approximating On The Corner."

If that gets your dander up, listen to Get Up With It. That's some murky, far out shit. Teo Macero in full effect there. Here he is talking about working with Miles and some of the editing and remixing he did:

The Jack Johnson and On The Corner boxsets have pretty much been my most listened to electric Miles for a quite a while. Those and the Cellar Door live shows, which are all immense, dense (and bought with, unfortunately, great expense).

I think it's bloody tough to single and era out for special attention though - I can leave most of his early work but have particular soft spots for Lift To The Scaffold, Adderly's Somethin Else, Nefertiti and the Plugged Nickel shows which are all stylistically unique from eachother. I love Miles In Tokyo too - Sam Rivers did some strange stuff to the group that can't easily be described. Oh and whilst this post writes itself the Four & More/My Funny Valentine live albums are essential, prime Miles in my book too. Come to think of it I think the early, pre Wayne Shorter 2nd quintet might be my absolute favourite. And how I've not reread his jaw dropping autobiography even once I don't quite know.

I can't figure out why but his stuff has never really grabbed me properly. I've got Kind of Blue, Filles De Killimanjaro (Probably my favourite), Bitches Brew and Waterbabies, any pointers on what else I should try? Someone big into metal told me Dark Magus was the heaviest album they ever heard, that definitely appeals to me.

Regardless of whether I like the music or not, he was a cool fucker and there are some amazing stories about the guy!

In a Silent Way. Possibly my favourite Miles Davis album. Also I can highly recommend The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions. So much more than just alternative takes.

I also recently managed to get a copy of The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel. Two nights in 1965. Miles, Davis, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams. Amazing.

I absolutely adore Miles, I have to listen to Bitches Brew at least once a year to make me feel complete.

Such a vast body of work and most of it is brilliant, but the quintet of Miles, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams is probably the greatest gathering together of a group of musicians ever conceived, each one of them at the top of their game respectively, and playing together they were unstoppable.

Here is an illustration I did many moons ago that happens to be online:

club3.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm doing a Miles special on http://powerfm.org tonight, playing all Miles or people who played with Miles. As I said elesewhere, in practise this will probably be one Coltrane track, one Weather Report, couple of pre-68 Miles tracks and the rest of the three hours all 68-75 electric Miles. From 9pm, but most likely archived after as well.

Jesus. I never knew about that. I like to pretend that Miles disappeared in 1976. Some people I know rate the 80s stuff, but it's not for me.

I quite like that song. Why, or quite how, they got one on the 20th century's most influential musicians to play a 15 second session solo is anyone's guess though.

There's an interview with Green Gartside from Scritti Politti, where he talks a bit about his encounters with Miles.

http://www.thelastmiles.com/interviews-green-gartside.php

AR: Did Miles seek you out?

GG: Yeah he did actually. I didn’t…I made no effort. He rang me first and kept on ringing…when I got back to London he’d ring me at odd times of the night and day and talk about working together and asked me to write stuff…it was strange.

AR: Did you ever figure out why he was drawn to you? I can imagine, after hearing the Cupid And Psyche album that he loved the production of it as much as anything. Cos he had a very progressive...aesthetic.

GG: Yeah. He was interesting and he told me that as far as his interest in me and my work went, he liked the attention to detail and the whole approach to vocals and melody reminded him of some Latin American music that had interested him years before. I can’t remember the names of the singers but that kind of non-ornamented non-vibrato…in a way that like, I guess he played very often. So yeah we had some interesting discussions about that kind of stuff.

Man, I love Miles. Always on to the next thing. I think he always wanted to be relevant, not get stuck in a musical ghetto, regurgitating the same thing over and over. I think part of it was wanting to appeal to a lot of people and make some money, but he never tried to do it in a way that wasn't interesting to him musically.

• 1 month later...

I just don't get on with Miles Davis stuff at all.

I love early stuff like Louis Armstrong, Johnny Dodd and Hot Lips Page and later stuff like Horace Silver, Lou Donaldson and Yusef Lateef but no matter what, I just don't ever find myself thinking 'yeah, let's whack some Davis on'.

I think after hearing people bang on about his stuff for so long I've developed an immovable mental block.

Here's the show: http://www.powerfm.org/2012/02/01/don-rosco-stacks-1st-february/

Direct link here. and here's the tracklist:

Miles Davis – For Adults Only

Miles Davis & John Coltrane – Two Bass Hit

Gil Evans – Remember

Miles Davis – Sid’s Ahead

Miles Davis – Freddie Freeloader

John Coltrane – My Favourite Things

Miles Davis – Paraphenalia

John Coltrane – Naima

Miles Davis – In a silent way

Miles Davis – Miles runs the voodoo down

Miles Davis – Right Off

Miles Davis – Billy Preston

Weather Report – Teen Town

Miles Davis – One and One

Herbie Hancock – Ostinato

Billy Cobham – The Pleasant Pheasant

Seriously though, McCoy Tyner's piano solo on My Favourite Things. Seriously. I mean. Wow.