Critically panned movies you just love

Omizzay

You know the ones: most people you talk to about the film ridicule you for putting up with even 5 minutes of the movie, critics have ripped the film/director/actors in it a new one, etc. Bottom line is - everyone hates the movie but you.

But you ignore all of them and the film has a special place in your heart.

I'll start us off: Smokin Aces :D

Hm woah so many to choose from lol.

Does Cloverfield count?

God no! Critics loved it.

There's a huge number of crap films I like, but the best of the worst is probably She's All That - embarrasingly bad, but Rachel Leigh Cook's so adorable in it :wub:

Kevin Pollack's funny too.

Freddie vs Jason.

It doesn't pretend to be anything other than it is, a stupid horror movie with 2 well known horror monsters from stupid overly long franchises stabbing the shit out of teens and each other. It does nothing out of the ordinary but what it does it does very entertainingly.

Shoot 'em Up

Again, not a clever film in the slightest just enough story to string together the most ridiculous, fun and dynamic gunfights seen in cinema to that date. Lactating prostitutes, heavy metal loving baby, skydive gunfight, 'FUK U TOO'... Stupid stupid entertaining shit.

13th Warrior aka Eaters of the Dead - Michael Crichton's bastardisation of the Beowulf tale made flesh. A 1999 John McTiernan film with Antonio Banderas, playing an exiled Arab banished to "explore" the barbarian regions of Europe, meets a group of vikings and is the prophecised 13th warrior needed to go and successfully slay an ancient evil in the north. Panned but brilliant, imo obviously :D

Crank.

Yup, and its sequel. I feel confident in saying that I lost my mind in April 2009 when High Voltage got released. I loved Crank as an unconventional action film but nothing could prepare me for the sensory assault of its sequel. It left me so shooken that I left the screen, walked down to the food stand and got a ticket for the next screening of it. My world changed that day, and every conversation I've ever had about film has suffered for it, mainly due to other people being unable to appreciate how masterfully well made it is. :coffee:

Josie and the Pussycats

Actually, I'm not sure how it was received critically, but nobody has seen or heard of it.

I absolutely love this film. It was the start of my Rachel Leigh Cook obsession and the soundtrack is amazing.

Like all right-thinking people I also dig Speed Racer and I think Southland Tales is also great.

Not sure if this counts because I can't say I 'love' the film, but I do like Waterworld, which I've always thought was a perfectly enjoyable summer blockbuster that got panned more due to on-set squabbles and budget overspend than to the film being bad.

Waterworld is far too entertaining to be bad! even if it were a terrible film dennis hoppers role makes it worth it alone. I also liked The postman which no one else seems to though :(

Cant beleive the 13th warrior was panned either. I though that was a great film, the cave scene was awesome.

Always liked the Tank girl movie and The frighteners too.

My appreciation for the Matrix sequels is well-known around these parts. It can see exactly why they were panned but I derive too much enjoyment from the components to dislike the dodgy synthesis. Also, weren't we all young and stupid once?

The Happening.

This was also pretty good. Honourable mention for The Box too, which with a little imaginative tweaking could've been a gritty reinvention of Captain Scarlet.

Waterworld is far too entertaining to be bad! even if it were a terrible film dennis hoppers role makes it worth it alone. I also liked The postman which no one else seems to though :(

Cant beleive the 13th warrior was panned either. I though that was a great film, the cave scene was awesome.

Always liked the Tank girl movie and The frighteners too.

The Frighteners got panned? It's one of my favourite films.

I think my guilty pleasure is Wild Wild West. It's just a big, dumb, summer action film set in the Old West, with great characters and a bonkers storyline. What's not to like about it? I never understood why it gets hammered so much.