IGNORED

The Expendables 3 - Stallone confirms PG-13 rating

The Sarge

Me and my mate were talking about who the bad guy would be for the next film and if it would be best to have a Nic Cage style character or someone that could realistically fight back against Stallone. We were struggling for big enough names who hey could have. If they got Snipes, I think he would be ok, but who else?

Also if they manage to get Harrison Ford, he clearly needs to be someone rich and important, just so he can say "Get off my plane" at some point.

Lots of old men standing still firing guns and spouting one liners so flat and uninspired as to be almost surreal. What was that favourite last meal scene all about. It's up there with the Gigli 'gobble gobble' scene as one of the worst moments in cinema history.

I didn't find any of the fight choreography, SFX work or stunts to be particularly inspiring either. JCVD looked cool and got away with it, but pretty much everything else was hopeless.

I agree with all of this, but I still enjoyed it. I thought the first was a better film though. JCVD made the film really. Willis almost ruined it.

i wish they'd almost do away with the shitty plots completely. For Expendables 3 I just want to see the Expendables guys go up against a rival gang of badass mercenaries for 90 minutes for no other reason than to see who is the most badass. If I see another downtrodden community who desperately needs saving I'll shoot / stab / punch Stallone in the face.

Nic Cage has already signed on for the next one, think he would be a good villain.

They should definately get Chan, Hung and Biao in as villains. Or maybe Stephen Chow. Or maybe Tony Jaa or the dude from The Raid. Or all of them. In fact, all of them and Chow Yun Fat should just do an Asian version.

You have to have Donnie Yen in there too, c'mon man. And Jet Li obv. And that woman who was in Chocolate. Then the two series could meet in a massive west vs east clash of mercenary teams.

Failing that, I'd absolutely love to see a Donnie Yen film where Jason Statham is the (stereotypically English and evil) bad guy. Imagine if the boxer in Ip Man 2 had been Statham instead of that shit moustache-twirling guy...

It's usually charming (I like when there's an officious Hong Kong cop or local official who is English), but that one guy in Ip Man 2... ugh!

There is a great one, I think in Project A II but I could be wrong, where Jackie ends up in court on some trumped up charge of theft or murder or something and the English judge says "I'd love to stay and sort all this out, but I'm late for my cricket match" and walks off!

Just got back from seeing this. I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, and whilst the sequel is certainly an improvement, it's still not a fantastic movie.

It definitely benefits from having Van Damme as the bad guy. A memorable baddie was something sorely lacking from the first one. JCVD gets the most out of the bad lines as well, and some of them are really bad. Not in a good way. In a bad way.

Some good violence though, even if a lot of it does cut away too quickly in a blur of muddy looking CGI. I hope they ditch Chuck Norris for the next one. He was a waste of time here. I honestly can't think of a genuinely decent action movie he's made. Lone Wolf McQuade is probably his most famous one, but he's so devoid of charisma, I remember wanting David Carradine to kick the shit out of him. His appearance in Expendables 2 just made me cringe.

They're getting there though. I fully expect Expendables 3 to be the movie Expendables 1 shoud have been.

There is a great one, I think in Project A II but I could be wrong, where Jackie ends up in court on some trumped up charge of theft or murder or something and the English judge says "I'd love to stay and sort all this out, but I'm late for my cricket match" and walks off!

That was in Fist of Legend with Jet Li.

That was in Fist of Legend with Jet Li.

Thanks Chow, even better. That makes more sense, because I remember it being way out of place and that would synch up better with Fist of Legend, which is generally straight faced.

Always loved

where he won't fight for the first half. Well, without the American dubbing on that youtube link.

I found this... only ok, really.

I think my biggest problem was the lack of real danger in the gunfights, coupled with (in many cases) a lack of notability. There were still quite a few memorable kills that left me either laughing or grinning like the fool I wanted to be, but too much else was by the numbers killing.

I got most enjoyment out of the Smart car scene, Christmas's "I now pronounce you man and knife" fight, and Jet Li's frying pan battle.

Then there's the middle hour, which I felt just dragged without too much of interest bar Van Damme's appearance. It all picked up again in the end, but maybe a little too late to save it.

Also, for a film that was supposedly a celebration of 80s action stars, it was decidedly light on one liners.

I thought this was great fun!

I loved it when

arnie said yippi ki yay!

There wasn't enough van damme and I was pretty disappointed with his ending but I think that was mostly due to Stallone...

It's always such a shame when trailers spoil one liners though, I think I would have enjoyed the smart car bit if I'd been watching it for the first time.

You know Donnie Yen was initially offered a part in this? (maybe the part that eventually became Yu Nan's part?)

Watching a documentary about him and he has the maddest accent in English. His Boston accent keeps sneaking in, so that he sounds like Mark Wahlberg doing a chinese accent :S

Would have made great material for some corny Statham joke :(

You know Donnie Yen was initially offered a part in this?

Yep. He was occupied at the time of filming though, wants to be in 3 now. Donnie Yen is amazing and a mega star in Hong Kong right now.

Also, Clint Eastwood is confirmed for 3. I say 'confirmed' - it's mentioned on Clint's Wiki page. Gunslinger / revolver hero role? :D

Going to see 2 this Saturday, can't wait. I'm a sucker for bad, stupid action movies!

I thunk the Expendables 2 was pretty fun, but there weren't nearly enough bad guys. It's like there's so many big egos in the mix that no-one is willing to be the bad guy and get killed off in a hilarious manner except for crazy old Van Damme and the other guy, so you just end up with the Super Friends machinegunning down thousands of anonymous bad mans who are like insects to them with no real sense of danger.

The first film, though not really as much fun, at least had more one-on-one showdowns.

They could at least have had Van Damme beat the living shit out of the "I hope I don't die before I retire at the end of the month" guy to establish how much of a bad ass he is, instead of saving him for a rather short fight against an OAP at the end.

I hope they see sense and bring Bennett and other classic villains back for the inevitable second sequel. Surely the likes of Robert Patrick, Lance Henrikson, Willem Dafoe and Gary Busey are always up for a laugh?

I hope they see sense and bring Bennett and other classic villains back for the inevitable second sequel. Surely the likes of Robert Patrick, Lance Henrikson, Willem Dafoe and Gary Busey are always up for a laugh?

Oh that would be epic, all star gang of heros fights all star gang of villains.

I loved this film for what it was, just a laugh. The cinema audience seemed to really get into it, with much more laughs than many a comedy I've sat through (with the exception of Ted).

The bit where

the guys gets kicked into the x-ray machine and shot several times

really tickled the funny bone.

It sets the tone early with many ott headshots and a barrage of CGI blood, and you can even forgive the lack of swearies in it. If you've gone to see this for the plot, then you may well be disappointed though :)

Saw this on Tuesday and like most people thought it was great fun. Van Damme is just awesome so hoping he gets some more 'Bad Guy' roles and nobody particularly got on my nerves. My favourite line from the film though;

Stallone - that thing should be in a museum

Arnie - we should all be in a museum

Mainly because it sounded incredibly genuine without an obvious looking at the camera type scene.

Only real downside was Chuck Norris who was pretty turd (albeit quite funny).

I got a couple chuckles from the film, which was just what I was expecting.

What bothers me about it though is that West and Stallone don't seem to 'get' what the film should be about, whereas most of the supporting cast absolutely do. Lundgren, Statham, Crews, Van Damme, these guys (probably due to the fact that they still are involved with modern action films) know how to tread the line between silly and badass: Lundgren is an absolute show-stopper at all times (shouting 'GOODBYE' while kicking a grunt over a ledge :lol: ), Crews has a nice character flourish of being something of a foodie, Statham has sublime deadpan facial expressions and we all know why Van Damme is brilliant. Couture doesn't get enough screentime to establish a memorable personality which is unfortunate, while Arnie and Willis get far more screentime than their roles can sustain. In fact I preferred their cameos in the first one. Norris was every shade of meh.

Stallone plays it way too straight. It's strange as in interviews he comes across as an honest guy who's all too aware of the clunkers he's made, but there's little sign of that personality here. This is the real detriment of the film as he is the primary character, and his scenes with Billy are the wrong kind of daft. Christ, Billy may as well have shown him a picture of his boat the Live-4-Ever, it being so subtle in those moments. This would be excusable, but it dominates the film and is the primary theme for the ensuing action, so despite all the marking out I should be doing during various scenes, I'm constantly being reminded that it's all because of this little prick who couldn't cut it. The Expendables doesn't need such trite emotional investment, the people that are going to watch it come pre-packaged with decades' worth of emotional attachment and want little more than to watch the icons of their childhood fuck shit up with a wink and a nudge.

Chuck Norris has said he won't be returning for part 3.

Thank fuck for that. The guy was shit in Expendables 2 and added nothing to it, worst thing in the film. Makes it even funnier if he was actually responsible for swearing etc being removed from the film (though tbh i think it was always going for a PG-13 before changing mid filming anyway)

The Adkins - Statham fight was the best fight in it, I thought JC went down to easily but it was still good seeing Demolition Man fight Universal Soldier :D

Apparently the fight was in there at JC's request, and the ad libbed 'I want my monies' worth!' as the original ending saw him getting into a helipcopter which was then shot down by Sly and co. Which would've been shit.