IGNORED

The Expendables 3 - Stallone confirms PG-13 rating

The Sarge

Plot - Contains a MAJOR spoiler

The Expendables are back and this time it's personal! After Tool (Mickey Rourke), the heart and soul of the Expendables, is brutally murdered on a mission, his comrades swear to avenge him. They're not the only ones who want blood. Tool’s beautiful young and wild daughter Fiona embarks on her own revenge mission, complicating matters when she is captured and ransomed by a ruthless dictator plotting to destroy a resistance movement. Now Barney and the Expendables must risk everything to save her and humanity.

More Dolph and Jet Li, less Statham.

I was all prepared to come storming in her in defence of Statham, but then it dawned on me; I'm not actually the biggest fan of Statham overrall, so allow me to offer this correction:

Less Statham, more Chelios.

I quite liked the first one, it was an 80’s film through and through. The one disappointment for me was the hand to hand combat. You have Jet Li who has done some amazing stuff fight-wise in his career and Randy Couture who is a real life martial artist, so why give them the usual stock fighting scenes? Randy in particular has actually had more spectacular real life fights than the one in the film, it makes no sense. Randy should have been doing some serious grappling shit, especially in the main fight he was in which involved another grappler. And how the fuck did they have the Nogueira brothers in there and not have them do some awesome shit (they’re both MMA fighters, with the oldest brother being a former champion and absolute bad ass).

But as I said, I really liked the first one, I think it pulled off the 80’s film style really well, in terms of plot, characters and action. Definitely looking forward to the second part. I’d like to see more of the Bruce character too, and Arnie must surely come back.

I quite liked the first one, it was an 80’s film through and through. The one disappointment for me was the hand to hand combat. You have Jet Li who has done some amazing stuff fight-wise in his career and Randy Couture who is a real life martial artist, so why give them the usual stock fighting scenes? Randy in particular has actually had more spectacular real life fights than the one in the film, it makes no sense. Randy should have been doing some serious grappling shit, especially in the main fight he was in which involved another grappler. And how the fuck did they have the Nogueira brothers in there and not have them do some awesome shit (they’re both MMA fighters, with the oldest brother being a former champion and absolute bad ass).

But as I said, I really liked the first one, I think it pulled off the 80’s film style really well, in terms of plot, characters and action. Definitely looking forward to the second part. I’d like to see more of the Bruce character too, and Arnie must surely come back.

+1

If i'd have seen the film in the early noughties, when action fans had the likes of 'Swat' 'XXX' and 'Transporter 2' to look forward to, it would've blown my mind.

It was fantastic. Slick, violent, a massive corpse count, awesome guns and explosions. What's not to love?

• 1 month later...

I still don't get this. It's nothing like a good eighties action film.

You speak the truth, but it's commendable they atleast had a go.

Gripped for the second one!

Folk who should be in this

Mr T - Come on this would be utter brilliance getting him back with Sly for this

Nick Nolte and Michael Ironside for their work in Extreme Prejudice

Throw Busey in the mix aswell as Kurt Russel.

Arnie!

Simon West will direct Expendables 2. For every film as good as Con Air he has made one as bad as Tomb Raider so it is hard to tell how this will end up.

Is Walter Hill still working? How great would that be?! :D

• 1 month later...

Take with a huge, huge bag of salt...from /film

With director Simon West preparing to shoot The Expendables 2 soon aiming at an August 17, 2012 release, it’s high-time we heard something about his cast. We expect that surviving members of the original – Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews, Jet Li and possibly Bruce Wills – could all return but, according to an interview with the CEO of the “biggest film studio” in the country the film will shoot, Bulgaria, joining the cast are John Travolta, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme. Have our muscle-throbbing, old-man action-star dreams come true? We explore the rumor after the jump.

The list of names comes from David Varod, the CEO of the Bulgarian based film company Nu Boyana who was doing an interview with Novinite (with a heads up to Collider) about films that are going to shoot in the country. Here’s the exchange:

Novinite: Some very big names have been mentioned recently as very likely to shoot in Bulgaria soon, the likes of Bruce Willis and Silvester Stallone. Is there any development on that?

Varod: Yes, we are definitely going to do that project. It is going to be a sequel the “The Expendables”. The shooting is going to take place the second week of September. The movie is on, definitely. It will be a very good thing for Bulgaria, since there are some very big stars coming.

Novinite: Would you disclose some of the names coming for sure?

Varod: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, John Travolta, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke…who else? Of course, Bruce Willis. The director is Simon West, who is also a name. He is already here and has started working on the film. I believe the sequel will be better than the first movie.

While this certainly sounds legitimate and Nu Boyana is a legitimate studio (the new Conan reportedly shot there too), you can’t believe anything 100% until we hear it from the mouth of the beast, in this case Lionsgate. So best to take this with a grain of salt and be cautiously optimistic.

• 1 month later...

This needs a (new school) Donnie Yen injection as the boss's-boss-'boss henchman' in a final face off against Norris/Damme/Lundgren.

But see there's twisty-twist...he's Jet Li's Brother and Jet can't watch him die.

Norris could also have a metal arm.

The final shot should be of Bolo Yeung watching CCTV footage of the fight from a yacht in Cannes surrounded by Bhuddist Monks and a mysterious blonde Woman in a business suit with a white rose in her hand.

The blonde is Nicholas Cage in drag