Game's New Website

Because they have without fail always delivered everything I have pre ordered and at least one day early.

This has changed with the change in their post supplier - now Friday is good going, can be Saturday. Also they are charging your card earlier in the week, as someone said earlier to stop you cancelling when the supermarket special offers come in.

Yep their delivery does seem to be taking a turn for the worse, my Deus Ex turned up on Saturday (despite supposedly being dispatched on Tuesday - by what tortoise?) and someone I know got their Zelda 3DS pre-order on the Weds after release.

If they have changed to an inferior postal service to save a few pence then that shows some real short-sightedness. The games market is incredibly geared towards big hyped release days and customers expect to get their game on Day 1. If Game can no longer provide that then their customers will soon begin to gravitate towards an alternative supplier (and God knows there's no shortage of places selling games online). Especially as Game are very rarely the cheapest option to begin with. Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me coming from an organisation that regularly opened two, maybe three, stores about 5 minutes walk from each other (and that's before taking account of Gamestations as well) and then scratched their heads when most of them were ghost towns.

Yep after the changes to post service I didn't get OoT3D or Deus Ex until Monday after release.

So I've decided to be done with Game...but trying to review my orders to cancel all pre-orders is near impossible with the new website <_<

• 2 weeks later...

When you're scared to price match WH Smith, of all places, then the writing really is on the wall. Every branch I've ever been in has a shelf with a few bashed game cases haphazardly strewn across it, and it's usually stuff like Halo 3 for £39.99 to boot.

I've been annoyed with them ever since they delivered OoT3D to me late.

I rang their helpline and eventually got given a £5 gift card (that I still can't fucking use online and would reduce their in-store prices to their online price) that really just compensated me for ringing their bloody helpline in the first place.

I also got told off when ringing them for saying "hell", as they class that is swearing. (I asked where the hell my order was.)

After Forza 4 I'm very likely to be done with them. Only reason I have Forza 4 with them is cos they have the exclusivity on the LE. Will probably use up my gift card and rewards points on some Xbox points in-store and go to ShopTo like everyone else.

Went to one of the local stores on Saturday and they confirmed they will no longer be price matching CEX as it is further than 1 mile.

<_<

I was just going to say, I can see the eyes light up of jobsworth managers "One mile?!" as they proceed to bring in their laptop from home to check where the nearest CEX/Grainger/Etc is in the City Centre.

I'm really really glad I dont work for the shower of cunts anymore.

I've ordered lots of games from the Game website over the years and they've always delivered on release day. Has the change in website definitely resulted in a change to the day they normally deliver pre-orders, my copy of OOT arrived on release day.

I've been annoyed with them ever since they delivered OoT3D to me late.

I rang their helpline and eventually got given a £5 gift card (that I still can't fucking use online and would reduce their in-store prices to their online price) that really just compensated me for ringing their bloody helpline in the first place.

I also got told off when ringing them for saying "hell", as they class that is swearing. (I asked where the hell my order was.)

After Forza 4 I'm very likely to be done with them. Only reason I have Forza 4 with them is cos they have the exclusivity on the LE. Will probably use up my gift card and rewards points on some Xbox points in-store and go to ShopTo like everyone else.

Lol at you ringing someone and going "WHERE THE HELL IS MY VIDEOGAME?"

• Upvote 9

Brilliant. I left GS 2 years ago after a 7 year stint and after a year off to sort my head out (and not being able to find a job) I've landed on my feet and work in recruitment. Looking back I can't believe how hard I had to work back then for such little money. You've made the right decision.

• Upvote 1

I've ordered lots of games from the Game website over the years and they've always delivered on release day. Has the change in website definitely resulted in a change to the day they normally deliver pre-orders, my copy of OOT arrived on release day.

It's not the website redesign, although that sucks plenty, it's the change in postal service provider - whereas previously Game and Gameplay would both notify you on Wednesday and deliver on Thursday, the day before release, now the pattern is to get an earlier notifcation and a later delivery - the last 4 games from Game have come on Friday twice and Saturday twice.

Went to one of the local stores on Saturday and they confirmed they will no longer be price matching CEX as it is further than 1 mile.

<_<

The Gamestation here in Edinburgh refused to match CEX's trade-in prices on the basis that 'it sells more than just games', or something ridiculous like that. Will be interested to see if Game will match them, given that both of their city centre stores are within half a mile of CEX.

Electronics Boutique bought Game, ran both brands alongside each other for a while, then when the license to use the EB name was approaching expiration they rebranded all the EB stores as Game. This left most towns and cities with 2 idential store, sometimes only doors away from each other. After a few years, store closures followed.

I would bet good money that the same will happen with Gamestation and Game. I don't know which brand they will choose, but I wager the other will face a combination of rebrands and store closures. And I'll bet this all begins within the year. It's already started at the head office end, and I'm told the regional structure already has one regional manger for both brands.

And I mean no disrespect to the friends I have that still work for either company, when I say that bee.com, Blockbuster's preowned pricing and Supermarkets are really kicking their arses right now. The HMV Iphone App reveals themselves to be extremely generous on trade ins.

I find it a real shame, because I worked for Game when the company started to expand, and a good friend of mine worked alongside the people who ultimately became company directors in the early days of the Manchester Arndale Centre store. They were a great company to work for and a great company to shop with.

These days, if this thread is anything to go by, the customers don't like them, the publishers surely hate their high prominence of pre-owned (see the recent article in MCV claiming that preowned cost Heavy Rain 10 million in sales), modern day consoles allow you to download directly to the unit (even handhelds!) and they generaly seem completely screwed.

Shame!

You couldn't before and I wanted to cancel my Gears preorder. Massively annoyed at the lack of ability to change my mind, I removed all my payment information so they wouldn't be able to charge me and it would be cancelled.

Just had an email through confirming that my Gears of War preorder had been shipped! Check the site under order history and yep, they've charged one of the cards I removed at the start of the week. Last time I use these bell ends

You couldn't before and I wanted to cancel my Gears preorder. Massively annoyed at the lack of ability to change my mind, I removed all my payment information so they wouldn't be able to charge me and it would be cancelled.

Just had an email through confirming that my Gears of War preorder had been shipped! Check the site under order history and yep, they've charged one of the cards I removed at the start of the week. Last time I use these bell ends

Up to this trick again I see, well don't get too excited, they took a full 6 days from the receipt of this same email to actually ship me Deus Ex.

GAME were great ten years ago. They were fully focused on customer service, bending over backwards to make the customer happy. 10 Day exchange policy, some pretty good deals on console bundles allowing you to pick the games and a great working atmosphere. If you ever had a problem with a game or console they'd do what ever they could to fix it. It may have just been the store i was working in but staff were happy and so were the customers. It was even better if you worked there as you made up the trade in prices, got great staff discounts and even had access to promo copies from time to time. Rare games even got traded in often. The company also did competitions between stores and i made a lot of good friends and had a great time working there. Im glad i left when i did (just as they started to rebrand and bring in changes for the worse) but it was pretty great back then, it really felt like a fun company compared to today where it really does feel like its all about the profits and nothing else.

• Upvote 1