New Blade Runner

Joyrex-J9

They can't do a prequel, Blade Runner's only set eight years into the future. When's it going to be set? 2014? Maybe the plot could tie in with the world cup.

Or the 2012 Olympic Games featuring Oscar Pistorius aka... the Blade Runner!

Together is in the same Universe as Lilya 4-ever.

Also, all this obsession about being "in universe" and "canon" and all that stuff needs firing into the Sun.

You're the worst person. The best thing about Blade Runner is the aesthetic of the whole thing - I'd watch a fairly bad story set in the same style of location, with similar characters. That's what people get excited about.

I also believe that directors should start retconning pointless universal ties. Robin Hood is in the same universe as American Gangster, but not A Good Year, or Teen Wolf 2.

As much as I love Blade Runner, it's not particularly the story or characters I enjoy, it's just the world and the atmosphere. Definitely up for more stories and tales in that world. Don't really need to see more of Deckard.

You know, I agree with this. You only have to look at the PC game to see that it is great universe with lots of potential for stories.

I hope we get to see the Tannhauser Gate in this new film, in all its disappointing and nowhere near as amazing and evocative as it was when it was a thing on your head glory.

Indeed, I loved it when we eventually got to see the Clone Wars that Old Ben told us about in a New Hope. That was just as epic and amazing as I had always imagined it would be.

The bit where they fleshed out the snippets of future war from the first two Terminator films was good, too! Man, it was just as visceral, terrifying and remorseless a war as the original clips suggested.

Ridley Scott doesn't seem to like ambiguity any more. It's funny watching the special features on Blade Runner: The Final Cut, pretty much every person involved in production (including the screenwriters) says that they think it should be ambiguous whether Deckard is a Replicant or not and for each individual audience member to decide, and that the ultimate point is that it actually doesn't matter what he is, it's who he is. All except Ridley who goes "STFU he's a robot, end off!"

Like a lot of folks, Blade Runner's pretty much my fave film ever (there are a couple of films which push it terribly close, but...), but it's my fave film based on it's original release in the 80s. I never liked, nor thought the 'director's cut' or the 'final cut' did anything remotely to improve the thing. Possibly because by the time they'd come out I'd seen the original dozens and dozens of times. For me the film's a proper detective flick, and the voice-over always seemed fitting in with the way I imagined the film to run. I'm fully aware I'm in the minority here! For me, Deckard is - and always will be - a human. There was never any argument about it. When the newer edition came out, there was all this who-ha about the ambiguity which I rather thought spoiled it for me. I personally thought it was never needed. The film appeals to me because we see a bloke who's never had any doubt that killing skin-jobs is right turn into someone who's utterly lost when confronted with Rachel and Roy and all their problems. There was enough 'what is it to be human' questions in that for me. Of course, I saw Deckard as a human in the book too, and I read that years ago too, so I'll never be convinced otherwise really.

Now, as for a new film - don't really think it's necessary, nor do I quite understand how it could give off even a sliver of the same atmosphere. I'm always amazed at how 'fresh' BR looks - it's one of the few effect films that hasn't particularly dated at all, and I suspect a CGI'd version of the world wouldn't look half as good. I'd also worry they bung in little easter egg stuff for the 'fans', none of which would be welcome for me at all. It would need a whole new story to get me excited about it I think.

However, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, and that it could be the best thing ever!

Ridley Scott doesn't seem to like ambiguity any more.

Scott declaring he's definitely a replicant is fine apart from the fact it fatally weakens one of the story's central themes - that of the tension between these 'real' people who all seem a dead-eyed, soulless bunch, and the 'robots' who are all merrily sucking the marrow out of life, living out their fantasies, bravely setting out to understand their place in the world etc. Having a defeated human being learn from these fantastic, terrifying visions of humanity is dramatically satisfying. Having another robot learn is not.

I've been arguing this point for years with others. The irony of the Roy displaying more humanity than Deckard (in saving his life) is, in my opinion, one of the film's key themes. It is totally void if Deckard is a replicant.

Harrison Ford will NOT be involved with this.

He might be - Hayley Joel Osment can play his son. Darryl Hannah can turn up half way through. And there can be some cgi creatures that appear at various points in the film for comic relief and the big reveal at the end can be something like some frozen roman legions or Nazis or something historical - and Decker an hide in a futuristic oven at some point that gets thrown into space, but he survives. And he finds his creator (mum) at the end.