IGNORED

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - ELEAGUE Boston Major 12-28 Jan

The Sarge

Have you tried looking in the browser for servers with things like 'noob friendly' in their names? Not trying to be funny or anything, that will at least give you a chance to re-learn the maps and the handling without getting one-shotted from halfway across the map 30 seconds after the round starts.

Vertigo's back! :D

Smitty, its hard for me to empathise as I've played this game for roughly ten years.. but it must be disheartening and really difficult. It is purely down to map knowledge, understanding how the recoil works and mouse skill.

I'm not sure where to begin trying help.. where to start? You choose and I'll do what i can :)

Play a ton of the Demolition mode to get familiarized with the weapons and handling. Been playing that loads and really improving my aim. Due to the nature of the mode you will never stick with the same weapon. 'tis great!

Play aim_ maps to get your twitch aiming back. Plus getting obliterated doesn't matter because they're either instant respawn or the rounds end really quickly. Play them for an hour and then go into a normal map and you'll be CPL :)

Not wanting you to feel worse but check the hours played on my profile smitty ( for source rather than go). It takes time, there's nothin you can do but play and learn. Situational awareness is far far more useful than aim to be honest, you have to be able to track many many things at once. Be watching the radar while your shooting the enemy, where are the dots appearing/teammates dying. I've played so much I don't consciously think about all these things. Public games your probably not going to be doing low level tactics unless it's a place your on regularly. But that's down to how smart you are rather than how much you've played. Hell follow me onto the CPC server one evening and most of the folks on there will point you in a direction.

Play aim_ maps to get your twitch aiming back. Plus getting obliterated doesn't matter because they're either instant respawn or the rounds end really quickly. Play them for an hour and then go into a normal map and you'll be CPL :)

How do I play 'aim_maps'?

Sorry - you use the server browser, list the servers by map name and look for maps starting with aim_ (so for example - "aim_ak-colt").

Hell follow me onto the CPC server one evening and most of the folks on there will point you in a direction.

What's the IP?

They're not the same thing, aim maps are really stripped down maps which are literally just cover, open areas and a gun.

Like the regular gun game mode you mean.

Demolition is slightly less fast but relentless non-the-less. The only difference being the added objective gameplay. You still 'rank up guns' and the maps are small as well. You just don't respawn when you die.

I'm not really explaining myself very well. This is aim_map being played 1v1 vs a bot, obviously a bit more challenging when there's more people;

You just get armour, AK or Colt depending on which side you're on. There's no progression through the guns like gun game etc, it's literally just twitch aiming training.

Yeah all of that you get with gun game or demolition modes as well mate haha. The only expection being you get to play with all of the guns which is even better to progress your skill. :)

I've been trying to convince a friend of mine to drop BF3 and start playing this. I did play a lot of CSS back in the day and a fair share of 1.6. Sadly due to unfortunate events our clan didn't continue on and I ditched CS for other games. Anywhoo, now, as a long time BF3 player and owner of the Premium subscription I still felt an itch for that special type of gameplay where skill and team tactics have a very big role to play. Enter CS:GO. So far I am absolutely loving it! Thinking about it I started to wonder why it is that I enjoy CS:GO more than other shooters. What follows is a list I came up with with reasons why CS:GO is that much better than other shooters currently doing the rounds (such as BF3, CoD, etc).

Why CS:GO is the bestest:

• No Lobbies - You simply select a game mode you would like to play and within seconds you are headshotting people left and right. And joining a friend mid-game is as easy as can be!
  • No Subscriptions - You buy the game once (for a nominal fee) and get all future content for free.
  • Skill Based Gaming - Map knowledge is paramount and the maps are, for the most part, all wonderfully balanced. Also the point-in-general-direction-and-hitmarkers-galore type gameplay is out of the window. You need to think about every shot you make and how well you aim is now a matter of life and death.
  • Level Playing Field - CS(GO) Is like Chess. Everyone has the same tools at their disposal. When you get killed by that one guy from the other end of the map, you know he simply did so based on pure skill, No annoying, game breaking perks. Just hacks... Err skills.
  • Friendly Community - "gl, hf, gg, n1, wp, ul lol" friendly banter no?
  • Proper Team Play - Coming from BF3 and CoD it's refreshing to come back to something which offers actual tactical gameplay as opposed to the aforementioned games. There's full clan match support and team tactics do make a difference. Every sound, every dot on the radar all have a purpose and significance. Communication is key. All this makes VN1X a happy man!
  • No Rage Quit Nonsense - When you lose you lose but always realize that it's probably your own fault rather than blame it on the server- or game side of things.
  • Tense & Exciting Gameplay - Sure disabling an armed MCOM explosive at the last ticket in BF3 can get quite exciting but imagine this:
    (Based on actual events)

You're the last player alive and it's you up against four others. You tread lightly and by being cautious you manage to kill two T's. You feel your adrenaline starting to rush through your body when all of a sudden you hear the bomb is planted. You now have less than a minute to kill the other 2 players
and
defuse the bomb. You pick up an AK-47 dropped by one of your earlier kills and make a mad dash towards the bomb site. Suddenly you hear footsteps but they're gone as soon as they appeared. You walk around the corner and BAM! You just shot someone in the head! You can barely believe it yourself, one shot and he was gone! You must be ready for the big league (but probably not because that was more than likely a lucky reaction shot as you were scared shitless and jumped up from your seat as you were clicking your crappy Logitech mouse). There are only 25 seconds left before the bomb explodes you figure so now you need to find the last guy, kill him and do it quick! You run toward the site and just as you approach the bomb to do a fake-defuse you hear bullets whizzing past you. You turn around and head for cover but it's too late, you were hit and only have 18hp left. The clock, or rather the bomb, is ticking and you will have to make a choice. You decide "fuck it! I'm doing it live!" and jump out of cover. Your opponent takes aim and on both sides shots are being fired. It is a battle of spray and pray. It's a frantic and downright ugly display but one of you will have to come out victorious. Suddenly the kill feed registers a kill. The dust settles and spectators can't believe it! You are the last one standing! With only 1hp remaining you are the one to come out on top! You feel like as if everything is in slow motion... your mind drifts. You see visions of a new world, a world where money, success, women and fame are all at your fingertips. People love you and babies are named after you. You make regular appearances on all of the late night television shows. It's what you've always wanted. One night, during one of these TV appearances you feel at unease. There's something not right. You make your way from behind the stage towards the seat next to the talkshow host. As you walk and wave towards the audience you turn towards the host who has a grim smile upon his face. You feel even more anxiety. Just as you are about to take a seat the host takes out a gun and points it towards your face. You recognize it immediately, it's an 'Deagle' You are left paralysed and the audience starts laughing as if the host just finished his comedy routine. Your eyes glance back towards the weapon, he pulls the trigger... But then you snap back to back to reality and realize the bomb is still ticking! "How long have I been standing here?" You ask yourself. No matter, you shrug it off and head for the bomb which is only a few seconds away from exploding, luckily though you bought that defusal kit. You stand over the bomb but nothing happens. "What's this? Why won't it stop ticking" You inch back and forth pressing every key on your Logitech keyboard (which isn't suited for fps gaming at all) but to no avail. "Wait what key was it again?" You press all of your keys but to no use! Then, the beeping noise stops. "I defused it!" you cry out but no. It is in fact the beginning of the end... Everything is in slow motion again, no sound is to be heard, a bright light fills your screen and not long after the entire map is enveloped in the light. The light of death. "Terrorists Win"

You open your eyes and see the unthinkable, a skull symbol next to your name. "Dead, I'm... dead" you utter as spectators are left baffled. "lol omg" says one player. While the rest are left in a state of pure disbelief.

For many of the players present in that server CS:GO would never be the same. Some managed to pull through and block out what happened that faithful day while others stopped playing the game all together and resorted to online flash games. They went on with their daily lives but were forever changed. A terrible tragedy indeed.

Fin.
  • Fan Fiction - CS:GO is known for it's riveting fan fiction. You should definitely read some.

CS has always been the better game in every iteration, folks disparage it because you can't replace skill with time spent playing. Much like Starcraft, the skill ceiling is through the roof compared to the competition. unfortunately it means it's not for everyone.