rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Fletch

Bits In Games That Are Always AWESOME!

Bits where the game unexpectedly acknowledges the player's silly behaviour. Like getting told off after going into the women's toilets in Deus Ex, or like Carrington saying "act your age" when you destroy his wine collection in Perfect Dark.

• Upvote 3

Bits where the game unexpectedly acknowledges the player's silly behaviour. Like getting told off after going into the women's toilets in Deus Ex, or like Carrington saying "act your age" when you destroy his wine collection in Perfect Dark.

The commentator in Bastion was good for this. For example when I was smashing a lot of some spikey plants up and he said something like:

"The kid destroys spikeys like he thinks there is a prize for it".

Prolonged death animations, especially in FPSes. The ones where a guy will clutch his chest/neck/etc and slowly slump to the floor. It adds a lot of satisfaction to the act of taking down another opponent.

Hmm, y'see I prefer the ragdoll stuff.

As much as the slow deaths allow me to stand there and riddle them with bullets for 10 seconds, it's not as satisfying if they don't dance around for me.

Bump!

Empowerment moments (as mentioned on the first page) are indeed awesome, but there’s a particular setup that the best examples go through, and it’s when a miniboss or boss is reintroduced as a regular encounter, or an add in someone else’s boss battle. BB and the Shadows of Yarnham. P4 and the Avenger Knight. Grace and Glory in Bayo. I know some examples come with a bit of a nerf to drive home the empowerment, but it’s a great way of establishing the player’s growth. :) 

• Upvote 1

On 18/08/2011 at 15:34, dragz said:

Finding secret areas/items that are immediately behind your starting point on a level. Even better if it's the first level.

Ridddggggeeeeeeee.......

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Bump!

Empowerment moments (as mentioned on the first page) are indeed awesome, but there’s a particular setup that the best examples go through, and it’s when a miniboss or boss is reintroduced as a regular encounter, or an add in someone else’s boss battle. BB and the Shadows of Yarnham. P4 and the Avenger Knight. Grace and Glory in Bayo. I know some examples come with a bit of a nerf to drive home the empowerment, but it’s a great way of establishing the player’s growth. :) 

Same in Dark Souls with the bosses that turn up in lesser form (and usually with the ability to respawn) later in the game: 

Spoiler

Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly.

The minor versions do have less HP than the original bosses, but the thing that really makes most of them easier is that they're not in restrictive boss arenas, and they can be tackled alone: no pesky dags this time!

Although depending on your build, the

Spoiler

Crystal Cave versions of the butterfly

can be harder than the original boss because they have a more dangerous environment than the old arena, and they stay away at long range.

• Upvote 2

Sliding down sloped surfaces, moreso in games where that isn't all you do in the game and you aren't just ragdolling out of control down a hill towards death.

Last gen had some good sliding moments. Nintendo Land's Mario chase game, Mario 3d World. Sliding down the sand was my favourite part of Journey.

This gen had... the mildly stomach turning end of the astrobot demo on psvr worlds (maybe the full game had more slides?).

On 18/08/2011 at 15:51, Nick R said:

IK+ and four letter words!  Typing in 'wank' resulted in the message 'sweaty hands slip off joysticks' :lol:

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, partious said:

Sliding down sloped surfaces, moreso in games where that isn't all you do in the game and you aren't just ragdolling out of control down a hill towards death.

Last gen had some good sliding moments. Nintendo Land's Mario chase game, Mario 3d World. Sliding down the sand was my favourite part of Journey.

This gen had... the mildly stomach turning end of the astrobot demo on psvr worlds (maybe the full game had more slides?).

Interesting choice. Like the slide into the start of Binary Domain? And several places in Bulletstorm? Vanquish's slide was more of a horizontal move, so I assume that doesn't count...

Mass Effect 2 and 3: Throwing a singularity at a load of enemies to trap them in the air, then detonating the singularity with your warp attack to send the enemies flying. 

It never gets old. :)

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, smac said:

Interesting choice. Like the slide into the start of Binary Domain? And several places in Bulletstorm? Vanquish's slide was more of a horizontal move, so I assume that doesn't count...

Despite owning it for years I never got around to playing Binary Domain but having checked youtube, it seems to fit the bill.

I'm a big fan of the horizontal slide from Pepsiman/Running High/Vanquish, but I was thinking more of sliding down a slope. I just find it oddly satisfying in 3d games.

Another memorable slide is headfirst down the slope at the start of Bianco Hills in Mario Sunshine.

Good deaths and funny deaths.

It could be a ragdoll.

It could be a Crossy road style splat.

It could be a Resident Evil YOU'RE DEAD.

Or a brutal Tomb Raider impale.

The games that make death an event, through fun or spectacle - those are the games I love to play. It pulls me back in for a retry.

Snaaaaaakkkkeeeee...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

Breath of the Wild's shield-surfing is wonderful too.

Ah, that's the recent one I was trying to picture - the snowy runs down the mountains into the desert area!

Finding a bonfire/lamp in the Soulsborne games. The relief of sanctuary after suffering through whatever desperate struggles had been endured prior to spotting the light of the fire or lamp never gets old. 

Not so much in DS3 though tbf as there were way too many of them and, consequently, only a few occasions that I had to really work to find/reach a new safe point. 

9 hours ago, partious said:

Respawn have you covered this gen with Apex Legends and Jedi Fallen Order.

So much so they must ask people to do a slide as part of their interview process.

• Upvote 2