Bits In Games That Are Always Rubbish

AKA fillers. They are in all sorts of games. Take Batman Arkham Asylum. The whole Croc section, I can't beleive they actually thought it was good - they must have backed themselves into a corner and it was the best solution they could come up with

ffs, i bought this a few days ago and have been loving it. this is the exact point i'm at in the game. is it worth doing?

Underpowered weapons. Or those FPSes where you have a pistol or shotgun that can rip someone in half but the machine guns and assault rifles just make the enemies a bit annoyed.

Oh, and playing Sonic 2 in single-player with a CPU Tails and having him crash into bombs during bonus stages and lose a bunch of rings. Probably one of the earlier instances of Tails-hate for most gamers, who later took a swift trip to the options screen and turned him off.

• Upvote 1

How To Play sections that are required in EVERY XBLA game. Even if the game was freaking PONG, it makes game menus look like shit sometimes.

The way Wii handles online manuals is far better.

Not being able to open a door after you've just demolished a whole army Rambo-style. One of the things I hated about Call of Duty was waiting for my team to catch up with me and open the bladdy door, as if my character that just killed a hundred soldiers with just a pistol wasn't capable of opening doors.

Additionally, going through the inevitable missions where the story will go as follows:

Get to point A and collect x. Protect point A as you collect x. Now get to point B and wait for your vehicle to collect you. After a good half hour of enemy waves at point B and waiting, oh looky here, the fucking vehicle crashed or cant get to you for some absurd reason, so instead just take the path in front of you to get away which has been there the whole time you've been waiting. :doh:

Twats.

I enjoy lengthily missions, as there's a great sense of achievement after completion. But sometimes they just take the piss.

• Upvote 1

The unimaginative tedious use of the killer helicopter/flying aircraft that rapes your health. I'm thinking of the ones in Half-Life 2, because there's loads of them and they're shit.

they used to be shit. I went back to Half Life 2 and it's episodes two years after my first run and found them much easier. I was toasting my mad skillz for about a week until I found out Valve had changed the difficulty in some of the sections via patches after finding out through in game stats where people were giving up!

I think most games are better than films in terms of credits - I can't think of a single game that if you are allowed to skip the credits that it doesn't take you to the final extra scene automatically. Lego pirates for example gives you the credits after completing each film and you just press a button to skip them and see the last extra scene that you'd have to wait for in the cinema/carefully fast forward at home. Press more buttons!

I think most games are better than films in terms of credits - I can't think of a single game that if you are allowed to skip the credits that it doesn't take you to the final extra scene automatically.

Halo 3

End credits: You have no idea whether there will be something at the end of the end credits that would get missed if you skip it. But the end credits last FOREVER. Seriously, why are videogame end credits so utterly slow? Why does the text move slower than movie credits? And why can they not even get the text right... the text oftens pops in and out or doesn't match the top and bottom of the screen. After 20 minutes you're still seeing Quality Assurance credits from one of the million studios that was briefly contracted to work on the game.

Maybe I'm the only one who does this but I always wait for the credits to finish, even though 9 times out of 10 there's no reward.

Fuck Yes. The 2 longest ones i can think of were Ass Creed 1, and Madness Returns. MR was actually so long i went, made a cup of coffee, came back, realized it was still going, thought fuck it and just skipped it.

I'm gonna get conclusively proven wrong on this aren't I? Well in that case, I reckon any game should skip directly to the end scene and it's easy to do so as a few games are proving, I don't know if others are just developers trying to force people to watch their credits. I haven't got the time to watch all of a games credits so I'm always gonna try and skip them, if there's an extra scene that you can't see without watching the credits I'll watch it on youtube.

Fuck Yes. The 2 longest ones i can think of were Ass Creed 1, and Madness Returns. MR was actually so long i went, made a cup of coffee, came back, realized it was still going, thought fuck it and just skipped it.

Didn't you want to know who the P.A. to the Vice-President of Marketing at Ubisoft Portugal was?

Aw, I was going to say this. Why anybody would neg you for probably the best post in this thread is beyond me. Nobody actually liked the game did they?

Probably cos he missed the point of the topic entirely.

This is going to seem really petty but what I can only describe as 'menu lag' really bugs me, FIFA being the worst example. Not so much in the game, but a pain regardless.

• Upvote 1

I hate getting stun locked by stagger animations and other interrupts. If you want to reduce my level of control over a character then that's fine, but don't whisk it away altogether leaving me sat watching them slowly attempt to get back on their feet again and again.

To get really specific, the stagger animation in Mass Effect 2 annoys me because it makes Shepard take a step back regardless of where you're hit. So if, for instance, you're trying to move away from a pack of Husks, you'll actually stagger back into them if they hit you in the back.

• Upvote 1

Mandatory boss rushes.

I came in here to say this, with both Viewtiful Joe and DMC firmly in mind. Capcom used to be right lazy pricks when it came to giving a sense of completion to their games.

End credits: You have no idea whether there will be something at the end of the end credits that would get missed if you skip it. But the end credits last FOREVER. Seriously, why are videogame end credits so utterly slow? Why does the text move slower than movie credits? And why can they not even get the text right... the text oftens pops in and out or doesn't match the top and bottom of the screen. After 20 minutes you're still seeing Quality Assurance credits from one of the million studios that was briefly contracted to work on the game.

Maybe I'm the only one who does this but I always wait for the credits to finish, even though 9 times out of 10 there's no reward.

Going one step further, the big problem is sitting through unskippable credits not because you want a cutscene (or something else ephemeral you could look up on Youtube), but because you're waiting for your 'new game plus' save option!

• Upvote 1

Blood effects that clutter the screens. Ugh.

God yes. 'You're doing badly? Why don't I just splatter the screen with blood, blur everything and make the sound go muffled. It's not like you need this audiovisual input to successfully extricate yourself from this mess, is it?'

Generally pretty much everything that has become standard in modern 'realistic' FPS games frustrates me.

• Upvote 2

Hacking subgames. In System Shock 2 it was sort of alright because only a certain character class could hack, and if you could hack it was a big part of your path to victory. In Bioshock you could hack everything, which from an OCD completionist's point of view meant playing a bad version of Pipemania over a million times (approximation).

• Upvote 2

Loading bars that once full still take 10 seconds to go to the next screen. Or loading bars that are totally ineffectual, like loading a massive chunk at once then doing nothing for the next 15 seconds.

In all honesty I think the only working loading bar I've seen was Call of Duty 2 on the 360.

• Upvote 4

You're a Marine. You're with your Marine buddies walking down a street/through a cave/down a hallway, whatever. There's nothing happening, no action, just walking but you know that there'll be shooting at any moment. Then you hear whispered those dreaded two words every...single...time:

"Stay frosty"

FUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFF

• Upvote 6

Absolute nightmare playing fallout 3 on 360, every time I moved backwards I ended up crouching. Not very handy when trying to kill a death claw. :hmm:

I brought this up cause I just started Halo Reach and it's a nightmare. Just turned it off and its much better now