IGNORED

Deus Ex: Invisible War Impressions

Magoo

This arrived surprisingly promptly from DVDBO today, also rather fortuitously on a day off from work so that I was able to put in a good 4 hours. I installed with much anticipation as this had been one of the driving reasons behind getting a new PC 3 months ago. My machine is a rather meaty 2.8 Athlon, ASUS, 512 PC3200, Radeon 9800 and manages around 5100 on 3dmark and the performance from DX:IW is lousy. Heads should be rolling at Ion Storm for whoever programmed the engine as at 800x600 and only one level of FSAA the frame rate borders on unplayable at times. <_<

As for the meat of the game seemingly very little has changed from the original. The physics are pretty and amusing much like they were in Max Payne 2 but have very little bearing on how you achieve your objectives, arguably they are worse than the first game as they seem to be modelled on the "bull in a china shop" school of physics. This means that stacking crates and avoiding setting off trip wires in crowded enviroments can be a chore. :(

Another of the USP's of the game and one I remember Spector touting in Edge is that sounds would be dampened according to what surfaces the sound had to pass through and that AI ante would be upped. Both of these features do seem to be missing, I can only assume that in order to meet ship date DX:IW was shipped with DX's AI code as it seems nigh on identical in terms of reaction times and what they can hear :lol:.

I wouldn't like to comment on some of the more minor tweaks and fiddles in the game until I've played more. Suffice to say it really feels like the original in a souped engine and that none of the major flaws have been addressed, but regardless everything you liked/loathed about the original looks likely to apply here. :D

I actually thought it was quite good till i relised it was giving me headhead aches; becuase of the frame rate. (2200 athlon xp, geforce 4200 ti, 512 2100 ram everything turn down as low as possible with 1.1. patch installed, dear oh)

silly billies, why make games that are unplayable unless you own a £1500 machine.

I actually thought it was quite good till i relised it was giving me headhead aches; becuase of the frame rate. (2200 athlon xp, geforce 4200 ti, 512 2100 ram everything turn down as low as possible with 1.1. patch installed, dear oh)

silly billies, why make games that are unplayable unless you own a £1500 machine.

Drivers.

Ok the dissapointment has subsided and I'm now well underway and loving it. The 1.1 patch is essential as it improves the FPS and sorts the UI right out. It's every bit as good as the original and with the patch is better suited to PC controls.

When i was playing the original Deus Ex back in the day, i had a beast of a machine and it still ran like utter shite! Seems nothing's changed. Maybe when i have a 500mhz CPU, 512mb GFX card it might run somewhere near desent, but i've heard otherwise...

Ok the dissapointment has subsided and I'm now well underway and loving it. The 1.1 patch is essential as it improves the FPS and sorts the UI right out. It's every bit as good as the original and with the patch is better suited to PC controls.

got the patch before i got the game. just good to know it resolves some of the issues

I'm over 10 hours in and loving it. The AI is still average at best, and the lack of a lean button is annoying, but other than that it's amazing. The storyline is good, and they've got the feel of it just right. It really feels like Deus Ex, only 20 years later. As a huge Deus Ex fan I have to say I'm not disappointed in the slightest by Invisible War.

I'm over 10 hours in and loving it.  The AI is still average at best, and the lack of a lean button is annoying, but other than that it's amazing.  The storyline is good, and they've got the feel of it just right.  It really feels like Deus Ex, only 20 years later.  As a huge Deus Ex fan I have to say I'm not disappointed in the slightest by Invisible War.

Amen. It's fantastic fun, and a worthy sequel so far. Looking forward to playing it through again as a female character as I can see how loads of things will have to change ... SPOILERS

like the gay setup in the nightclub <_<

Looking forward to playing it through again as a female character

I'm playing a female character. She's kinda nice too. <_<

Anyone else finding that after all the fuss about the single ammo type, after a while you actually find you prefer it this way? It's like Warren Spector said in one of his interviews: players don't need to worry about that kind of stuff - the developers have removed something fairly mundane so we can get on with enjoying the game. I really think they got it spot on.

Anyone else finding that after all the fuss about the single ammo type, after a while you actually find you prefer it this way? It's like Warren Spector said in one of his interviews: players don't need to worry about that kind of stuff - the developers have removed something fairly mundane so we can get on with enjoying the game. I really think they got it spot on.

It's a non issue, I can't honestly remember any problems from the first game with this. Curiously, although it's the way I play the game TBH, I haven't even been close to running out of ammo at any point.

Looking forward to playing it through again as a female character

I'm playing a female character. She's kinda nice too. :o

The ammo thing is no big deal IMO - I've recently played DE1 and never found at any point having to deal with ammo conservation... if anything the new system gives a new depth to the game, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works.

There were people going mad about it (not on this forum) when the demo came out, saying it was stupid & they wanted different ammo types as in DE. It did seem like a strange decision at the time, but now I like it.

Personally I tend to use quite a lot of ammo because I like to snipe guards from distance before going in and sneaking past the bots. I'm a bit of a coward like that.

There were people going mad about it (not on this forum) when the demo came out, saying it was stupid & they wanted different ammo types as in DE. It did seem like a strange decision at the time, but now I like it.

Personally I tend to use quite a lot of ammo because I like to snipe guards from distance before going in and sneaking past the bots. I'm a bit of a coward like that.

Even though I played through DE1 twice there's something that I love about this game that was absent from the first, and that's the way they've set up augmentations. One of the thrills of the first game was hacking computers, but I went straight for cloak thinking I'd get it later, only to then find I had to overwrite my cloak (level 2 no less) if I wanted to access computers! I'm sure in the first one you were restricted simply by the number of canisters you could get hold of?

Anyway, it's a cool way to ensure you never get too powerful, and I'll definitely play through it again for hacking tomfoolery alone.

My word, a mogwai avatar and talk about thief in one thread

*Sploog*

Is this more playable than DXI then? As nice a concept as it was it was utterly un-finish able, at least for me when it came out. And after trying to pick it up recently, I find it unplayable now.

It’s not that I don't enjoy it, its more than there are so many possibilities that I feel I’m missing out on a better experience than I am having. So I need to try and see every way to do everything and it really distracts from actually playing the game, achieving something rather than faffing about.

It’s not that I don't enjoy it, its more than there are so many possibilities that I feel I’m missing out on a better experience than I am having. So I need to try and see every way to do everything and it really distracts from actually playing the game, achieving something rather than faffing about.

I don't see how the two are separate. If you're playing the game, and all you do when you come across an objective is see how many ways there are around it, then you're not getting sidetracked, you're actually playing the game! This time around, as I mentioned earlier, your augmentations are delivered more strictly which means you may find there aren't so many options within a single game, although you'll probably want to try another route next time through.

I don't see how the two are separate. If you're playing the game, and all you do when you come across an objective is see how many ways there are around it, then you're not getting sidetracked, you're actually playing the game! This time around, as I mentioned earlier, your augmentations are delivered more strictly which means you may find there aren't so many options within a single game, although you'll probably want to try another route next time through.

It just feels a bit disconcerting when you spend hours and haven't progressed at all.. Or at least don't feel you have. I guess thats part of the charm, but its all a bit too much for me.. Knowning that some action you has enough impact to alter the plot..so you have to play again to see what else could have happened, but with a game of that scale I personaly don't have the time.

Augs where fun but rarely made much difference in my experiance..the ones that seemed cool rarely where, in effect.. That drone thing for example.

Augs where fun but rarely made much difference in my experiance..the ones that seemed cool rarely where, in effect.. That drone thing for example.

Big differences this time around. You know longer have skills, so the ability to use a computer (without a password at least) requires an augmentation, and if you want it, you can't have certain others.

Give it a go, it's worth it. if anything it's less of what I wanted (the first, in terms of design rather than implementation, was practically faultless) and more in line with what you're saying.

A few days on and the tech side of things has ceased to matter. Whats more concerning is the fact that I'm having difficulty willing myself to finish the game. This is without a doubt the biggest letdown this year, I really can't go into everything that I found wrong with this game so I may just post a review if I can be bothered to finish it. Suffice to say the stealth model is broken, the A.I non-existent, none of the features talked about in pre-release hype have been implemented, the level design is lamentable and to top it off the story is pretty dire too.:P

I'm surprised there's not more talk about this, either not enough people have a copy yet so don't feel entitled to an opinion or the Edge review hasn't been printed as that always gives people the right to an opinion :huh: .

A few days on and the tech side of things has ceased to matter. Whats more concerning is the fact that I'm having difficulty willing myself to finish the game. This is without a doubt the biggest letdown this year, I really can't go into everything that I found wrong with this game so I may just post a review if I can be bothered to finish it. Suffice to say the stealth model is broken, the A.I non-existent, none of the features talked about in pre-release hype have been implemented, the level design is lamentable and to top it off the story is pretty dire too.:P

I'm surprised there's not more talk about this, either not enough people have a copy yet so don't feel entitled to an opinion or the Edge review hasn't been printed as that always gives people the right to an opinion :huh: .

There's a thread about it here.

Your comments are very similar to what lots of people said about the first game, so they're entirely expected. I don't think there's much middle ground when it comes to Deus Ex. Personally I love the story, and the world they've made, and can't recommend this highly enough, even to people who didn't enjoy the first.

Edge not needed to form opinions ... B)

More hours in and while still enjoying it, it really, really should have been held back a few months. The constant loads are a pain, and it's other little things - like the fact that when you escape an area via copter, there's no shot of the copter heading into the skies, like there was in DE, with some cool music. Why? Why just hit me with a static load screen? Really not happy.

Having arrived in Cairo now, I'm also getting more than a little tired with the dull level design. Everything's a room or a corridor, there's so little variety, it's almost claustrophobic.

Still enjoying it, though. Hope that feeling lasts ...