IGNORED

Star Wars!

Campfire_Burning

I need to devise a storage solution for X-Wing.

Depending on how large your collection is, have you looked at the cases from KR or Battlefoam? Both companies produce foam trays with pre-cut slots to fit the various ships and templates/tokens, and you can pick the individual trays you're after to suit your collection. Battlefoam's cases are more aesthetically pleasing, and their hard foam makes it easier for them to do precisely tooled trays, and whilst they have a UK Warehouse, if anything is out of stock you've got to wait until they bulk ship from the US. KR tend to be about half the price and the service is much better - they're based in Colchester, and you can always give them a ring. Battlefoam / Kaiser Rushforth

The other solution is to pop along to Hobbycraft and buy a couple of their plastic hobby trays. The bead trays have compartments suitable for your tokens, and they do larger hollow plastic trays which will hold anything else.

By the way: SMAC, how's that Tantive IV working out for ya?

It's with Santa, apparently.

Or was it Satan?

No, I think Santa - the other guy wanted a first-born to usher in an eternity of despair, as I recall, not presents to be delivered to good little boys.

Depending on how large your collection is, have you looked at the cases from KR or Battlefoam? Both companies produce foam trays with pre-cut slots to fit the various ships and templates/tokens, and you can pick the individual trays you're after to suit your collection. Battlefoam's cases are more aesthetically pleasing, and their hard foam makes it easier for them to do precisely tooled trays, and whilst they have a UK Warehouse, if anything is out of stock you've got to wait until they bulk ship from the US. KR tend to be about half the price and the service is much better - they're based in Colchester, and you can always give them a ring. Battlefoam / Kaiser Rushforth

The other solution is to pop along to Hobbycraft and buy a couple of their plastic hobby trays. The bead trays have compartments suitable for your tokens, and they do larger hollow plastic trays which will hold anything else.

I'd seen those, cheers, was thinking more of the Hobbycraft idea as it's cheaper.

Yesterday (Christmas Eve) is my birthday, so I popped to the pub to see my mates briefly and swap presents. My best friend goes, 'I brought the present I bought you last year, and forgot' and hands me a TIE Bomber (which I still didn't have). The magnificent bastard.

Got my first game arranged for the evening of 12th January so you'll have to wait until after then I'm afraid.

I've tried to talk the missus into giving it a go over the Christmas holidays and she said she would. However as with X-Wing her heart is so obviously not in it I don't think I'll bother. Would much prefer my first game to be with fellow Star Wars nerds and people who want to play.

Speaking of the Imperial Raider expansion, the Advanced Targeting Computer upgrade that it comes with for the Tie Advanced looks to be amazing. It'll convert Vader from very fun to fly but woefully underpowered with regard to Attack into a monster in all areas. Can't wait.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5274

New capital ship incoming: the Imperial Corvette

SWX30-product-shot-tall.png

Looks to be created entirely new for the game, as there's nothing in the OT or EU at the right scale (Tantive IV size) for the Imps. Comes with a TIE Advanced X1, too.

There are a couple of ships from the PC games that could have been used (mod. corvette, Corellian Gunship) but I think this is better- certainly more imperial.

A-Wing and TIE Interceptor coming tomorrow. :facepalm:

Had a 2 X-Wing vs 4 TIE playthrough yesterday, against myself, which isn't ideal but I still had a lot of fun.

Idiot Academy pilot misjudges his turn and scrapes the bottom off his fighter.

kAgZtZ8.jpg

Luke manages to zip through the asteroid field unscathed AND avoids attacks from three TIES.

epTbygm.jpg

Mauler Mithel gets caught in the cross-fire after Luke does a quick 180 and catches him out.

KctSmA1.jpg

Skywalker's luck finally runs out when he attempts the same maneuver again.

x25OVyL.jpg

Red Squadron Pilot 1 hoofs it as the remaining three TIES give pursuit.

3beMGyf.jpg

With a flash of green it's game over for the Rebel Alliance. Victory to the Empire!

U85dWEP.jpg

R2-D2 is a right bugger, isn't he? I imagine that playing against someone fielding Luke with R2 would be a nightmare. As it was, R2 was the sole reason that the Rookie Pilot made it to the end game; without him he'd have been toast by the fourth turn. Looking forward to seeing what comes with the A-wing and the Interceptor.

Oh and I cracked and bought a gaming mat for this too; 15 sheets of A4 taped together just isn't cutting it.

Manged to get a couple of missions played of Imperial Assault, I'll give an update on the first one for now.

After the Rebels scored a victory in the opening mission 'Aftermath' they felt pretty confident and embarked on a side mission called 'Friends of Old'. This was brought about after Gideon Argus, a founding member of Sabre Team was contacted by his old commander asking for help. Gideon had left Sabre Squad after a botched operation which was suspected to be sabotaged by a traitor in the ranks.

The suspicion of a traitor was proven when the rebels are attacked by Imperial fighters as they approach the planet, but their skilled pilot evades them and manages to land near to the rendezvous point.

The rebels start their search for Gideon's former comrades.

Initially, the rebels encountered light forces, an Imperial Officer with 3 Stormtroopers providing an easy encounter. But after some success, the Rebels got to the first possible location of a Rebel Trooper, unfortunately it was the traitor, revealed to be a high-ranking Imperial Officer who immediately attacked. One of the Rebel team was wounded in the fight and suffered a loss of some skills. More reinforcements arrived in the shape of a couple of Probe Droids and a squad of 3 Stormtroopers. The newly arrived Stromtroopers were very accurate in their shooting as they wounded another Rebel.

The Rebels then raced towards another possible captive and found one. They managed to give him covering fire as he made it back to the Rebel ship to score a success. The Rebels needed to find at least one more captive to complete the mission so they pushed on.

The Imperials had reinforced with an elite Stromtrooper squad and Probe Droid, these had gathered near to a prisoner site. The Rebel elected to go for the other site as the mission was becoming a desperate race against time. They did make it to the site but suffered another wounded hero, one more wounded hero would leave them unable to continue the mission.

The Imperials then went after the Rebels and wounded an already wounded hero, causing him to leave for the ship, unable to continue the fight. The rebels then tried to help the Rebel Trooper back to the ship, but the Imperials tracked him down and killed him.

Now with one Rebel Trooper left to rescue, it was going to be tough to free him with three heroes left, two already wounded. They pushed on but after an exchange of fire, another hero took a second wound and had to leave the battlefield. Desperately, one Rebel Hero ran towards the Rebel Prisoner and freed him, but took a wound in the process. This was his first so he could return fire on his attackers, killing a couple of Stormtroopers.

The other Rebel was surrounded by Stormtroopers and mercilessly gunned down, barely managing to escape back to the ship to lick their wounds.

The situation was now hopeless for the Rebels, the remaining Hero tried to give covering fire to the escaping rebel prisoner, but the Prisoner was cut down under a hail of Imperial laser bolts. Victory for the Empire!

Great write up, thanks WL. Sounds a lot like how a typical combat encounter goes in the Edge of the Empire campaign I gamesmaster - a little bit of Triumph, plenty of Despair.

Keen to hear more, if typing them up isn't too much of a ball-ache. Cheers.

Gaming mat arrived yesterday.

koH0u6l.jpg

After several playthroughs on my own I finally convinced my wife to play a game; I set up a 100 pt match, myself as the Rebels, my wife the Empire. I gave us all named pilots, bar a couple of Academy pilots in her TIES, with upgrades on most of them. I was fielding two X-Wings and an A-Wing; she was fielding Three TIEs, an Interceptor and the Lamda Shuttle. I scattered a few asteroids in the middle of the map but nothing too heavy, they were more for scenery than anything else.

The first few rounds were predictable as she flew her ships all over the place, crashing into one another, asteroids, you name it. I picked off one of the TIES easily and then it just went to shit for me. By turn four she'd totally grasped the mechanics of the game (bar the Shuttle, which she ended up flying off the board and out the game by accident) and was hunting me down aggressively.

Luke, upgraded with Artoo, ended up caught between two TIEs and the Interceptor and even with his Shield regen I just couldn't get him free in time. Luke was dead. My A-wing screamed in with his Cluster missile, aiming to smash a hole in the enemy line and whizz through it, drawing the survivors after him to I could swing Biggs in behind them and take them out. Did it work? Did it fuck.

The missiles did nothing and I ended up having to take a hit off of the asteroids to stay out the packs line of fire. Biggs flew in to find that two of the TIEs had 180'd and before he could comb his moustache he was space-dust. Tycho in the A-wing managed to take out one more of the Ties before he died but it wasn't ever close. I got humped.

Luckily, I think her victory has gave her a positive impression of the game and she's up for playing it again; in fact, I even caught her admiring the new mat, so i should get another game at the weekend.

I'm going the Empire this time though.

I've dropped some cash on this - the KR set 'D' which should house most of what I have (just leaving the Outrider and the Moldy Crow out in the cold, unless I can hack the foam a bit). Will report back when it arrives. In other news, Imperial Assault is winging its way to me, too. Spend, spend, spend.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first game of Imperial Assault today, with my mate and his young padawan lad.

Caveat: I've never played Descent so cant make comparisons, natch.

So we started off with the sample mission from the How to play book and, just like a Fantasy Flight manual, I'm going to break off on a tangent already: the instructions for the game are split into 4 booklets the manual, the Campaign guide (how to set up each Mission), a reference guide (dictionary/appendix) and the Skirmish guide.

The first test mission is (confusingly) in the How to Play book and the win conditions ill-defined, but a quick Google told me Jonny Reb needed to slaughter all the Imps (nice) and the Imps needed to capture the terminals, dotted around the tiled map.

It was a wholesale massacre of the poor, beleaguered Imperial forces, most of them probably lowly conscripts anyway. The first scenario is clearly weighted in favour of the rebel scum, presumably to lull the saps into a false sense of security.

Setup: essentially you build a map according to the campaign blueprint, with a DM (running the Empire forces) who does the basic arrangement but also brings-in reinforcements, reveals secrets etc. when conditions are met. Missions normally have several win/lose conditions, based around meeting objectives (e.g. accessing data on a terminal) defeating all enemies, and/or meeting criteria within a select number of rounds.

After each round, the Imperial DM gains Nastiness Points that he can spend on redeployments/reinforcements. He can bring these in at any time and scare the shit out of the Rebs. Combat is with dice rolls; custom dice that have a sophisticated set of symbols and several shades so that a simple combo of hero + dice can provide a lot of variety.

There are lots of buffs, saving rolls, special abilities etc. and whats particularly neat is the Strain system. A Reb can Strain themselves to grant an extra perk at the expense of potentially suffering health damage, and can only be scrubbed by using-up an action point on it. Its a neat above-and-beyond dynamic thats simple but adds strategic depth. Should have called it Exertion rather than Strain though, the latter sounding like a herniated testicle issue.

Even by the first full mission, we could see the depth to the game movement is on a much smaller scale to (say) Space Hulk, and LOS plays less of a part accordingly, but the combat has a greater variety. Looking forward, I can see the ability to buy and deploy buffs with XP being great; the variety is excellent.

But is it Star Wars?! you cry. Well, yes and no. Yes, the characters are in-universe enough, and theirn weapons and abilities aren't out of place, often completely apposite. Also, its not too intrusively prequel (although one character, that weird cat/rat thing from Attack of the Clones, shows up) but as the OT is confined to a really small number of locations, the minute you see scrub land, rivers and, well, anything that isn't Endor, Mos Eisley, Tatooine or the interior of a ship/battle station it drags you out of the illusion and can feel a little generic.

TLDR: Early doors but very impressed with it so far. High quality components, a deep but (fairly) easy to grasp system and short setup/tear down time could well make this a group favourite.

• 2 weeks later...

Played in my first proper X-wing tournament yesterday at a store in birmingham. took a 3 X-wing list with Wedge, Biggs, and Porkins.

To start with, some of the tables were outside the hosting store. Not in the actual street, because the store is in the custard factory (a sort of hipster shopping centre in brum), but in an atrium. But it was still cold enough for visible breath-condensation.
The second surprise was that there wasn't as much all-out powergaming and min-maxing as I expected.
First guy I played, yes. He'd basically copied the "fat Han" list that won the worlds in December and changed one upgrade card. I lost to him due to an early positioning error, (wedge got too far from Biggs) everything fell apart, I was off the table with 20 mins still on the clock.
Game 2 was against a guy who had a 2-tie 3-int list which he flew badly. (The first rule of x-wing is, don't split your force, unless you really need to) Looking back, I should have beaten him better than I did.
Game 3 was lando falcon plus 2a's. Very synergistic list, everyone doing stuff to help each other by lando giving actions and the a-wings using upgrades to do extra actions (that added stress) and then cancelling stress from each other, but as soon as the first a-wing went it was like kicking a leg out from under a piano, and a-wings go down easy to concentrated fire. won that one without loss. in fact I only picked up a damage card because of Porkins' ability. The guy also seemed to have bad eyesight (lots of peering at dice) which may have caused some positioning issues.
Game 4, now this was the one that was frustrating: two YT-2400s and two z-95, and each of the YTs had a heavy laser secondary on it. On this one I didn't really do anything obviously wrong. In fact, I pulled off my favourite move of the day, k-turning Porkins over an asteroid and landing 1mm the other side of it, But there's just too many hit points (28) to chew through at 9 dice a turn. I got one of the YTs down down but it was like chewing cardboard
Last game was against my friend Patrick, who I'd met at a mini-event at our local shop in Leamington, (We'd car-shared to this event, so we both knew exactly what to expect from each other's list). He had 7 ties. Howlrunner and 6 obsidians. This list is all about meticulous close-formation work, which he's normally pretty good at. But I'd learned a lot during the day and had some countering ideas. Namely that there's no way to March two rows of three ties through an asteroid field without things getting messy. Plus, if I parked Biggs in the right spot, all the attacks being forced onto him would go over an asteroid for an extra evade, making him live longer.
This worked out beautifully, with my getting biggs exactly where I wanted him to b, allowing wedge and porkins to take out a TIE. And then Patrick made two very serious errors that I'm putting down to "long day" and "playing on hoth" Firstly, on the turn the two squadrons had to get past each other, he forgot to assign a manoeuvre to an obsidian. Didn't touch the dial at all. (Patrick's a "place it on the cards" player, not a "place it by the ships" one.) That guy flew off and hit an asteroid. The second was losing track of a stress token on one of his TIEs and thinking it was on Biggs. He gave it a k-turn which, as a "red" move he can't assign to a stressed ship. In this situation, the rule is he has to give me the dial and I can choose anything I like. I chose a manoeuvre that would force it off the table next turn.
It's to his credit that he still managed to put up a good fight after these mishaps. Biggs went down, wedge was on his last hull point, but porkins was still flying an undamaged ship, just without shields.
I win, as when time was called he still had three ties and I had the two x-wings thanks to wedge pulling out some impressive evades in the last turn.
All in all, a good day - 3 wins out of 5 is a lot better than I was expecting and the two i lost to finished in the top-8 knockout. Patrick came away with one win, against the 5-tie guy, who was still using the same tactics despite having lost every game. the atmosphere was pretty friendly, and the lists varied.
I'm doing another one at my local shop in leam in a fortnight, I do worry about running into another list like game 4 though.