rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmyzilla

Sous Vide

I'd say so. Cooking sous vide has been a massive hit with me and my partner. Steaks, chicken and especially duck breasts are amazing. I started off with resealable bags but soon got a vacuum sealer, which again has been excellent.

1 hour ago, bear said:

Does the wifi make a big difference to things? I haven't used one at all. 

I don’t think so. You can start the heating before you get home, but I boil a kettle and get it pretty close so I’m not starting with cold water straight from the tap. 

I have a non-connected circulator (a gen1 Sansaire) and I would quite like to be able to trigger it remotely. It would be a cool thing to have, so that your food is ready when you get home or whatever.

8 hours ago, bear said:

Does the wifi make a big difference to things? I haven't used one at all. 

Yes. It's not about starting the heating before you get home, it's about being able to start cooking stuff entirely when you're not at home. Bag up, in the water, start it whenever suits you for when you need it done by. When you're cooking something for that sort of length of time, any time taken to warm up in the first place has no impact anyway.

22 hours ago, psycho_fox said:

I'd say so. Cooking sous vide has been a massive hit with me and my partner. Steaks, chicken and especially duck breasts are amazing. I started off with resealable bags but soon got a vacuum sealer, which again has been excellent.

There seem to be loads of these sealers, which one are you using?

11 hours ago, stefcha said:

Yes. It's not about starting the heating before you get home, it's about being able to start cooking stuff entirely when you're not at home. Bag up, in the water, start it whenever suits you for when you need it done by. When you're cooking something for that sort of length of time, any time taken to warm up in the first place has no impact anyway.

Do you find it does relatively short cooks ok that way? A friend found it overcooked his steaks if he left it to warm up. 

28 minutes ago, psycho_fox said:

Do you find it does relatively short cooks ok that way? A friend found it overcooked his steaks if he left it to warm up. 

Short cooks I doubt I'd bother (although I don't use it for steak at all as I've found it a bit pointless, think they're better fully pan cooked) and tend to do the same as you albeit with the hot water tap rather than the kettle for those, that's all sub-hour stuff anyway, pork chops and the like. I did poached eggs from bed once though which included them being in for the warmup, they worked out fine by the time I trundled downstairs :) 

39 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Short cooks I doubt I'd bother (although I don't use it for steak at all as I've found it a bit pointless, think they're better fully pan cooked) and tend to do the same as you albeit with the hot water tap rather than the kettle for those, that's all sub-hour stuff anyway, pork chops and the like. I did poached eggs from bed once though which included them being in for the warmup, they worked out fine by the time I trundled downstairs :) 

Haha! Love the laziness! I'll give it a try sometime with a beef joint, as that's typically around seven hours.

Little bit of a trial experience, I've just polished off a portion of 72-hour beef short rib (please excuse the messy kitchen side and the slightly fuzzy picture!):

IMG_20190216_205509.jpg

Roughly following this recipe, I went all the way down to 56°C rather than their 62. The meat ended up super beefy but at the lower temperature it still had an initial bite to it, which then almost immediately fell to pieces in the mouth. Amazing alongside some fried onions and creamy mash. Definitely worth a go. 

• Upvote 3