rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmyzilla

Sous Vide

Personally I like to just put baking potatoes into the oven. 

Cook them for 1hr 30m.

Scoop out all the flesh into a pot.

Add other ingredients: butter, milk, cream, cheese, herbs, roasted garlic (whatever you want really). 

Then with the leftover skins, grate a bit of cheese onto them and stick them under the grill for a bit and have potato skins.

If you do want to make them the more traditional way (boiling potatoes in water), then the Heston technique of putting the skins in cheese cloth with the boiling water that you use to cook the potatoes in sounds like a good idea. Apparently there is a lot of flavour in the skins. 

I've also heard of people cooking the potatoes in milk instead of water.

• Upvote 1

I bought the Wancle Sous Vide stick a few months ago and have been loving using it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wancle-Precision-Immersion-Circulator-Black-Classic/dp/B01LYS24J3/

Bought a cheap vacuum sealer too, and it's been an absolute revelation. On top of that, found a place that does some good quality cuts of halal steak online and that has changed the game for me too.

Beef burger from Tesco's halal meat counter, cooked at 135F, going to drop it down a degree or two next time. Was still a very tasty and juicy burger.

5a9dc3788f84a_sousvideburger.jpg.4f7afb7092011b23b90368b02a51e80d.jpg

Fillet steak cooked at 133F. Best steak I've ever had in my life. Cooked up a nice creamy mushroom sauce, and then made some potato wedges in an air fryer.

5a9dc3819db84_filletsteak.jpg.906674fa2d8c168b8711c33b8194e871.jpg

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Chow said:

I bought the Wancle Sous Vide stick a few months ago and have been loving using it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wancle-Precision-Immersion-Circulator-Black-Classic/dp/B01LYS24J3/

Bought a cheap vacuum sealer too, and it's been an absolute revelation. On top of that, found a place that does some good quality cuts of halal steak online and that has changed the game for me too.

Beef burger from Tesco's halal meat counter, cooked at 135F, going to drop it down a degree or two next time. Was still a very tasty and juicy burger.

5a9dc3788f84a_sousvideburger.jpg.4f7afb7092011b23b90368b02a51e80d.jpg

Fillet steak cooked at 133F. Best steak I've ever had in my life. Cooked up a nice creamy mushroom sauce, and then made some potato wedges in an air fryer.

5a9dc3819db84_filletsteak.jpg.906674fa2d8c168b8711c33b8194e871.jpg

You should try searing the steak in the air fryer

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

You should try searing the steak in the air fryer

Might give that a go, what settings do you use for that?

Best way to sear a bit of bit of meat after sous vide is a searing hot cast iron griddle and flash it on each side, doesn’t effect the middle but gives you some colour on the outside and a bit of Maillard reaction.

You can use industrial blow torches but that seems a bit OTT

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

Best way to sear a bit of bit of meat after sous vide is a searing hot cast iron griddle and flash it on each side, doesn’t effect the middle but gives you some colour on the outside and a bit of Maillard reaction.

You can use industrial blow torches but that seems a bit OTT

Yeah, I just use a really hot pan, with a bit of butter.

I thought the whole logic of sous vide was about hitting and then holding the right temp thru the whole piece of meat, because with meat temp is ‘doneness` - if you cook to a higher temp it will be more done but not necessarily softer, I’ve never found sous vide much of a miracle worker with meat, prefer what a good bbq does to a joint myself (even cheaper supermarket cuts)

On 26/03/2018 at 10:11, simonski said:

A bit of silverside beef for 8 hours at 56c, was disappointingly chewy. Temperature too low? Not long enough? A bit of both?

How big was it? This review has someone doing a 2kg piece for 34 hours, which seems like it's probably overkill, but a longer cooking time will break down the connective tissue even at a held temperature. Serious Eats have a good representation of the effects with steak here.

I've never done anything that large or for that long, but I do love what an hour in the sous vide does to even a cheap steak.  

It was probably about 1.5kg. I think the temperature was too low, seems unlikely the connective tissue would breakdown at 56 degrees. I'll stick to steaks for the time being (have had some success there).

Did some beef short ribs in mine (chuck on, which overcooked a bit but I couldn't be arsed doing it separately). Trimmed on top and under the chuck, seasoned and seared in a hot pan then 15 hours at 75C in a vacuum pack followed by two hours in a 140C oven to finish, mitigation for it needing 24 hours in the sous vide that I didn't have time for. They were epic. One of the best things that people tend not to consider is that you can get some good stock that'd otherwise largely be lost to evaporation in a BBQ or oven. Poured that out of the bag then cooled to remove the fat, then simmered down with just a splash of (pre-reduced) balsamic and red wine. It was like drinking pure liquid beef, it was hard to stop tasting it and leaving some for the meat. 

I got one of these the other day.  I've wanted to try this for years and I had a bit of spare cash so I got a Wancle and a vacuum seal thingy.

First try:  Steak.   

Looked up the temp on the internet and did a pair of Ribeye Steaks for a couple of hours.   They seemed a bit hard when I took them out but I finished them in a hot pan and they looked good but they were properly well done.   Ok turns out I got the temp wrong.  68 degrees = well done so I suppose it worked.

Second try: Salmon

Cooked for 40 mins at 50 degrees: Turned up perfect but Salmon is easy anyway and I could have wrapped it in foil and bunged it in the oven for 20 mins and got the same result.

Third Try:  Steaks again

This time at supposed "medium" temp:  58 degrees.

Again, they were well done.  Barely any pink and quite tough.   Feeling disappointed having ruined 4 steaks now.

I'm wondering if I'm cooking them too much when I finish them.  I've been frying them for a minute or so each side.  Perhaps I should let them cool before I do that.  When I pan fry steaks from raw I do the Heston method of flipping every 20 secs and they turn our perfect.

I've bought 2 more steaks and plan to try the "rare" temp of 54 degrees.  I normally go for a more medium rare but maybe I should give this a go.  

Any tips before I waste more good meat?

14 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Any tips before I waste more good meat?

Yeah, don't follow whatever you've been following because those temps and times are nuts for steak. Salmon sounds about right, but I find it totally different compared to oven in foil myself. Anyway,  download the Joule app (you don't need a Joule) and use their visual doneness guides which are excellent. 

Wouldn't bother with steak in it personally anyway, rather cook stuff that's not quite so easy to cook well, at least not evenly. Short cooks like pork chops or loin, duck come out great, so tender and juicy. Long ones like belly pork or beef short rib on the bone. Oh man that's so good.

Actually the latter can show how much difference the thickness of the meat can make, the other day I did some beef short rib sliced across the bone (all I could get in a short-noticed panic) and overdid it a bit because I used the same timings as I did for some bigger thicker ones alone the bone. Stuff that needs a longer cook is more forgiving though, so it was still good :wub:

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JPickford said:

I got the temps from the chefsteps website.  

Weird, like I said the salmon one matches the app but those steaks - timings especially - are out. Which recipe did you see the temps and times on, quick look brought this back https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-steak which sort of matches the temps but not the timing, and even then it's expecting a 1" steak which is fairly thick by UK standards. There's definitely a lot more granularity and variety to the app, even if you have to tweak a bit it's a great starting point. 

Screenshot_20180919-102532.thumb.png.b37e983eb2010a7aa7f9dcb5bc741dee.pngScreenshot_20180919-102609.thumb.png.0c47340bdce1a06bceafe352f55c9863.png

At the end the steak needs literally seconds to brown as well ideally in the hottest pan you can manage (it's already totally cooked so you don't really want to be cooking it much more - might be wise to undercook it a little if you're searing longer), I tend to do it beforehand myself for any cook though - the meat is dryer so it's easier to get a nice colour quickly plus I like the flavour it adds when cooking in the bag.

• Upvote 2

I've still never had better steak results than cast iron. Though rare is closer to 50 than 56.

In fact, I've got a couple of thick fillets for tonight. And I'm tempted to put them in at 48-50 for half an hour just to warm them through before a hot pan. But I'm not sure yet. Can anyone recommend?

Sous-vide is advertised as a steak machine too much. Some exceptional stuff you can make with it (with a few aromatics): carrots, chicken breast, scrambled eggs, 'poached' (coddled in the shell) eggs... 

You might want to be careful with chicken legs though. Even when cooked to a safe temp, the mixture of tenderness and pinkness can be a bit off-putting to eat.

Update: did the fillets at 50 degree for 45 mins, then about 45 seconds each side in a hot pan with a little oil and butter. Was still more medium rare than rare.

Still good, and probably handy for lower quality beef, but for a nice cut it seemed unnecessary.

The asparagus at 82 degrees for 15 minutes was tasty, but maybe a little underdone even for me. 

4 hours ago, schmojo said:

Update: did the fillets at 50 degree for 45 mins, then about 45 seconds each side in a hot pan with a little oil and butter. Was still more medium rare than rare.

Still good, and probably handy for lower quality beef, but for a nice cut it seemed unnecessary. 

I agree, good steak it's a waste of time and effort to sous vide and there are many more, better uses you can put the setup to. For cooking steak, I always do how Neil Rankin suggests in here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Slow-How-Cook-Meat/dp/1785030876

Which, despite the title, pretty much says the same for steaks in that its best cooked in a pan hot and fast, moving and turning. It does get a few mins in a very low oven at the end to finish but that's it, never had one less than perfect.