rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

The James Bond Series

From Russia with Love is the only film where Bond seems to do real spying, but at the same time it's not action filled or gadget-tastic. But it's also my favourite.

I'll be giving QoS another go at the weekend. Daniel Craig's Bond is the only one of whom I've been scared.

Dr No, but only if you've got the blu-ray or can get your hands on a 1080p rip of it. After only having seen it via the grainy prints they'd show on TV and a worn-out VHS, it was like watching a whole new film.

For Your Eyes Only. My favourite Moore Bond film and just generally a really underappreciated Bond flick. It was the one time Roger Moore dialed back his over the top performance and was more serious and he was really good at it as well (though he didn't like being serious and went back to the less serious style after it). It also has Bond being pretty ruthless with one of my favourite bad guy kills ever in a Bond film.

The Living Daylights, for being underrated as fuck and the utterly amazing plane sequence.

I'm making a mental note to never, ever trust anyone who suggests The Man With The Golden Gun, Thunderball or Diamonds are Forever.

• Upvote 4

Thunderball is made up of 60% tediously slow underwater footage, 20% ridiculous looking sped-up fight footage, 15% random Bahamas carnival footage whereas the last 5% is Bond being attacked by a fucking back-massaging machine. At least Never Say Never is daft enough to be fun.

• Upvote 1

I genuinely think OHMSS may be the best Bond film. It's equal parts silly, gritty and awesome and the chase sequence that makes up the last third is an absolute belter.

There's an alternate universe somewhere with OHMSS starring Connery, and it's beautiful place (although I quite like Lazenby).

Not sure what makes 'random Bahamas island' the best Bond location, though? Unless you mean Largo's shark-filled pool, which Drax did better with piranhas anyway.

Okay I'm going to bite. Who's the best Bond?

Dalton. I thought Lazenby was great too.

Not sure what makes 'random Bahamas island' the best Bond location, though? Unless you mean Largo's shark-filled pool, which Drax did better with piranhas anyway.

It's beautiful! With the shipwreck and the light blue shallow-

Hold on, Jane Seymour in her white dress with her tits straining against the fabric.

-light blue shallow waters, it's like the front cover of those old Lego boxes come to life.

barracuda.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think John Glen gets it right in this interview celebrating the Bond 50 boxset (http://www.denofgeek...-the-big-screen) - in general, people tend to like the Bond films they watched when they were 12 or so (so I have had to get used to the eye-rolling when I say Moore is my favourite Bond though Dalton is the actor playing Bond as I imagine him to be so he's probably my 'best').

Working through the series in order I have got a new-found appreciation for Connery. Dr No and From Russia With Love feel like the anti-Bonds in light of what came next (when the series really picked up the familiar tropes) but they fast run out of steam with Thunderball when it all starts to become a little too ridiculous (the interlude in the Japanese village in You Only Live Twice is rendered completely unnecessary when the operation is moved up!). I know Connery was being paid handsomely for Diamonds Are Forever but even he seems to walk around most of the time wondered what he's got himself into.

I thought OHMSS might be in for a critical reappraisal too but no, it's still one of the Bonds I like least. I understand the creative team wanted to put their own stamp on things and they certainly did that but it feels like such an uncomfortable blend and Lazenby never seems to get into the role.

• Upvote 1

You Only Live Twice has one of my favourite ever Bond scenes. There's a bit where he's fighting on the roof of a Kobe port building and it's all hand-to-hand and the camera zooms out and out and out and the music kicks in (the best theme song IMO) and it really nails that isn't-it-all-rollicking-good-fun atmosphere that Bond made his own. A pure lazy Sunday evening scene, that.

• Upvote 2

OHMSS is my favourite, but as CarloOos says, with Connery it would just slaughter every other Bond film. Diana Rigg was amazing.

How strange. I've been watching the bonds in order recently. Next one is the spy who loved me. I've grown to appreciate connery as bond a bit more. My favourite was always Moore as I grew up watching him. OHMSS almost made me fall asleep, I really struggled through it. Someone else said thunderball was tedious what with all the underwater 'action'. They were right.

Erm, recommendations, I dunno. I've grown to realise I'm not as much of a fan as I thought I was. There seems to be a lot of filler in any of them. Good for a laugh though.