U.S Box Office Report - 29th - 31st July 2011

Goose

Few more -

Attack The Block opened at just eight locations and made $130,000, giving it one of the the best screen/take average of any film in the top ten, including the top two.

As far as Captain America is concerned - Thor at this point was on $119M, X-Men: First Class was on $98M and Green Lantern was on $88M. Given CA's drop this frame, people are speculating it won't finish as high as Thor did (around $180M domestically) but it won't lose money either, having the lowest budget of Marvel's releases this year.

And just reported, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has crossed the $1 billion mark in total global ticket sales.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is apparently surprisingly good. I don't expect it to do amazingly well at the box office, but I do expect it to review way above what most people were expecting. Word on Twitter following the premiere screening a couple of days ago was pretty stellar.

Great report, as usual Goose. You said Harry Potter is the ninth billion dollar grossing film, so what are the other eight? At a guess, I'd say Avatar and The Dark Knight from recent memory, but what are the others?

I think Transformers: Dark of the Moon will join that club by the end of the week too.

Edit: Yep, T:DotM is $18M shy of $1B.

Re: Rise of.... I've also heard it's remarkably good, just a shame they seem intent on showing you the entire film in every trailer :(

1. Avatar

2. Titanic

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

4. PotC: Dead Man's Chest

5. Toy Story 3

6. PotC: On Stranger Tides

7. Alice in Wonderland

8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

9. The Dark Knight

Cheers LC. I'm amazed Alice In Wonderland is on the list. Didn't think it did that well.

Given Transformers 3 was considered 'make or break' for the future of 3D cinema, has it's success worked in favour of 3D, then?

I'll try and find out. Off to work now but will have a look tonight if I get chance. I know the first weekend in the US, 3D ticket sales accounted for 60% of all tickets sold. No idea yet how that stretched over the remainder of its weeks.

No luck yet with the 2D/3D ticket sales for a film past the first week. I'm also not sure where those figure emerge from, though it could be an estimate based on online ticket vendor sales which is then extrapolated.

No luck yet with the 2D/3D ticket sales for a film past the first week. I'm also not sure where those figure emerge from, though it could be an estimate based on online ticket vendor sales which is then extrapolated.

Thanks Goose. Don't go to any trouble though - I'm just curious as to how it's standing, particularly if the ratio is continuing to slip back in favour of 2D screenings. I think Transformers might buck the trend to some extent by being the sort of spectacle that audiences are perhaps willing to shell out a little more on in order to 'enhance' the experience. Just speculation on my part though.

Thanks Goose. Don't go to any trouble though - I'm just curious as to how it's standing, particularly if the ratio is continuing to slip back in favour of 2D screenings. I think Transformers might buck the trend to some extent by being the sort of spectacle that audiences are perhaps willing to shell out a little more on in order to 'enhance' the experience. Just speculation on my part though.

Yeah, I agree with you. Audiences are getting more 3D savvy, in that they're ignoring the post-converted crap and movies that don't really need it, in favour of the spectacle. And that's surely because of the price hikes.

I think 3D is definitely on the wane now, just from personal experience. I was at the cinema last week to see Captain America and the 2D showing I was going to actually sold out but there was plenty of availability for the 3D showings. I heard some guy have a slight go at the cashier because the 2D showing was sold out and now he'd have to see it in 3D which is a 'bloody rip off'.

Of course, this can be contrasted by Cineworld's decision to really limit the showings of the 2D screenings. The cinema was Wandsworth Cinema and the 3D showing definitely had the best times. And the reason I was at Wandsworth was because, believe it or not, none of Cineworld's central London screenings were showing Captain America in 2D. I wander what effect this may have in that people who would have gone to see it just decide not to because they either don't like 3D or don't want to pay the increased prices but their local cinemas don't have any or enough 2D showings to suit them.

Personally it is not so much about the price, I just don't like 3D at the bets of times even when it has been filmed in 3D and even less when it has been converted into 3D. I saw Transformers 3 in 2D and don't feel like I missed out of anything because of that decision. I think that 2011 is going to be the high point of 3D films, I imagine that the studios are not going to spend fortunes converting or filming in 3D for diminishing returns so we'll see far fewer 3D releases in the next few years. Out of the highlights next year I'm not too up to date on what is 3D and what is not but the Avengers is not be filmed in 3D (it might be post converted) and I believe that Star Trek and Batman won't even be post converted. Three big, geeky films all electing not to film in 3D and two of them seemingly ruling out conversion to 3D prior to release. Doesn't bode well for 3D going forwards. The only thing Cinemas and Distributors could do now would be to reduce the costs so that it is the same price whether you see the film in 3D or 2D.

I feel the age of post-production 3D for so-so films is waning for sure, but I think most-mega blockbusters will still be 3D it costs like 5m more and still easily recoups that in extra revenue.

Star Trek and Batman (and Cowboys and Aliens) are just special cases I think where the directors are both big names and against 3D.

Yeah, I try and avoid 3D. I had to go to see Captain Amercia in 3D just because of the timings etc.

I still haven't seen a proper spectacle that really made use of it properly apart from Avatar, then to a lesser extent Tron.

May give that 3 Musketeers a go in 3D, just to see. However at the same time not sure how it could really add to experience.

The only thing Cinemas and Distributors could do now would be to reduce the costs so that it is the same price whether you see the film in 3D or 2D.

Greed is good! :coffee:

I think 3D will be much better once they get rid of the technical problems. If The Hobbit's 48fps kills off the skittering blur effect on movement, that'll be a massive, massive step in the right direction

I think that by the time The Hobbit is released, unless audience numbers buck the trend and continue to purchase 3D tickes over 2D ones, that it'll make very little difference what filming technique is used. People will still have to wear the glasses, and most likely pay a premium, so telling them that it's "not as flickery" as before, is not likely to be a major draw (although who knows what bullshit the marketing teams will spin it into to make it appeal?) and it may end up as the last gasp rather than the next big thing.

48fps at home is going to require hardware capable of displaying it natively, it took long enough to get 24fps native support, plus playback hardware being capable of handling the increased workload of decoding twice as many frames a second. In the cinema, all they need to do is a software update (according to JC), as the projectors are capable of handling it. Doremi had a 48fps capable box in 2005 for cinema use.

48fps at home is going to require hardware capable of displaying it natively, it took long enough to get 24fps native support, plus playback hardware being capable of handling the increased workload of decoding twice as many frames a second. In the cinema, all they need to do is a software update (according to JC), as the projectors are capable of handling it. Doremi had a 48fps capable box in 2005 for cinema use.

So, at home then most people don't have the equipment to payback films at 48fps? How will this affect films filmed in such a format?

1. Avatar

2. Titanic

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

4. PotC: Dead Man's Chest

5. Toy Story 3

6. PotC: On Stranger Tides

7. Alice in Wonderland

8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

9. The Dark Knight

Alice in Wonderland? Call me surprised! I guess it was the 3D plus the Johnny Depp factor.

So, at home then most people don't have the equipment to payback films at 48fps? How will this affect films filmed in such a format?

Simply cut every second frame, Voilà, classic 24fps cinema feel for the purists and strobing lovers.

Both S3D and 48fps are ways for cinema to maintain its technological advantage over home entertainment and give people a reason to choose to go to the cinema rather than wait for a home release.

Actually, thinking about it, they could do something similar to how 24fps cinematic films get converted for home viewing.

For PAL, they can just run it at 50fps on a 50hz progressive display in the same way 24fps film is sped up to 25fps currently or use pulldown.

For NTSC, 24fps gets telecined to 30fps, no idea if 48fps to 60fps is as simple.