rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Combo Breaker

2011 Edinburgh Festival

I'm about to go on a big ticket splurge for the fringe and whatnot, anyone got any good recommendations?

Gonna try and catch jerry Sadowitz, Boy With Tape on His Face, Mark Thomas, Edward Aczel and then fill out the days with whatever looks good when I'm wandering around.

I was googling MacKenzie Taylor who I'd seen twice and enjoyed both times and it turned out he killed himself last year. proper downer.

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping to see Sadowitz. Though I think I say this all the time and never actually get around to it. Who are those others you mention? My flatmate wants to see something that obsesses over Carl Sagan.

I'd really like to see Richard Herring as well.

I'll likely see "Singin' I'm No a Billy He's a Tim" as well. I don't like football, but I like bigotry. Also, my fat dad wrote it.

Based on their performance last year with The Bunker, The Beta Males should be worth a look. Their show this year (which, if it's like last year's, will be story-linked sketches) is called The Train Job. Very young group but they were spot-on hilarious with The Bunker.

I'll be mostly going to free shows and cheap ones rather than big-name comics and the like, though I'm going to try to see Stewart Lee, I think.

• Upvote 1

. Who are those others you mention?

Boy With Tape on His Face I think is pretty much as it says, some guy with his head covered in tape doing some mad standup. it's meant to be funny as fuck but who knows.

Mark Thomas I think did a walking tour of the Israeli barrier/wall thing in Palestine, so I imagine I'll laugh a bit but leave angry.

Edward Aczel is a deadpan comedian who's act last year was kinda like an office seminar of comedy going quite badly. It was spectacularly funny

Judging from their warmup shows I would definitely recommend both Herring and Lee.

The Boy With Tape on His Face is one of the best comedy shows I've ever seen in my life. Genuinely magical. An absolute must-see.

The Beta Males, as mentioned above, are also pretty great. If sketch comedy's your bag, I'm doing Casual Violence: Choose Death this year - it's our second Fringe show following a critically acclaimed, sell-out run last year. Tickets are super-cheap - only £6 full price - so do come along and support a forumite if you can! :)

As well as Choose Death, I'm producing these guys: Sanity Valve: Get Old or Die Tryin'. They're a comedy rap duo, and they're very fucking funny. Their show is FREE, at half midnight at the Meadow Bar. Again, I'd appreciate it hugely if you could come along!

• Upvote 1

If sketch comedy's your bag, I'm doing Casual Violence: Choose Death this year - it's our second Fringe show following a critically acclaimed, sell-out run last year. Tickets are super-cheap - only £6 full price - so do come along and support a forumite if you can! :)

I knew I'd seen this show mentioned somewhere. We went to see it tonight, it was really great! Which one were you?

• Upvote 1

I knew I'd seen this show mentioned somewhere. We went to see it tonight, it was really great! Which one were you?

I'm Roger Nostril, and I also wrote/directed the show. Thank you SO much for coming! Good to put a face to an avatar - I'll be along to see your show when I can!

Seen 16 shows so far, reviewing and a few previews.

Christmas For Two I think is one of the cheapest shows, 16:55 at Just The Tonic/The Caves. Fantastically fluid sketch show, simple and to the point without enough subtly to keep you guessing.

• Upvote 1

Just comedy or theatre too?

If so WE ARE DOING THIS AND YOU SHOULD SEE IT. http://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/theatre/recursion

Went to see this on Saturday, came in a little late but enjoyed it non the less.

Saw a really good show also at C venues called Diamond Dick. Well worth seeing if just for the 1920's new york accents! But really an excellent and imaginative show.

• Upvote 1

I didn't get around to seeing as much as I would've liked when I was off work, hope to sort that before the end of the month. What I did see:

Edward Aczel - tenner, 2 for 1 - very funny but maybe not as good as last year or maybe spoiled by a bunch of braying student arsholes making sure everyone knew just how much fun they were having or maybe cause I was desperate for a piss the whole time. Either way his delivery is astonishingly good.

4 Shines Get

Andrew J Lederer talking about his experience of 9/11 - free -

utter shite, no connection with the audience despite there only being like 8 of us and he was about a foot away. Maybe not hsi fault as two of them were french and clearly couldn't understand anything he was saying. Few good jokes or interesting recollections or anything. Kept checking his phone.

Zero Shines get

Claudia O'Doherty - What Is Soil Erosion? - £9, 2 for 1

Very funny mix of character and standup - mad australian lassie squeezing her 26 episode / 5 year long TV show about Soil Erosion down to an hour. Starts of a bit mad and by the end is completely mental. Probably my favourite show so far.

5 Shines Get !

10 Films With My Dad - free -

Enjoyable show with a guy talking about how he mostly communicates with his father about movies. Suitibly geeky humour with some video segments. The ones involving his girlfriend's dog were particularly cute/funny and pretty much overshadowed the rest of his show.

3.5 Shines get !

Mark Thomas: Extreme Rambling (Walking the Wall) - £14.50

Much funnier and less angry than his previous shows. Great value as a 2 hour show

4.5 Shines Get

Jerry Sadowitz - 20 quid O_O

Dissapointing, I saw him about a decade ago and was utterly blown away, partly by the comedy but even more so by the quality of his magic. This year had some good moments (probably at his funniest when he's slagging off mainstream comedians) but lots of real lows (comedy racism needs some actual comedy to make it funny). Not good for £20. I saw Frankie Boyle last year and enjoyed him more *hides*

2.5 Shines get

some guy playing the bass on the High Street near the cathedral - free

fucking amazing - a zillion shines get

2 guys playing guitars in the grass market

also good - 4 shines get

• Upvote 1

2 guys playing guitars in the grass market

also good - 4 shines get

Where these the ridiculously fast finger picking guys? I think they are called Tourist, yeah awesomo.

Good recommendations cheers man.

Went to see a breakdacing show, was excellent so have bought tickets for:

Set it Off! Street Dance Championships at Night Club (non in City Edinburgh on Sat 20 Aug 2011 14:00

Same guys, 3 hours for a tenner and a bar that sells bottles of WKD for £1.50. Aces.

This week I shall be off to see Dave Gorman and Andrew Maxwell, will report back....

Already come back from Edinburgh and didn't get a chance to see it, sorry fella. I can recommend a few other shows, though!

Tom Bell Begins, 3.40pm, The Tron: Excellent one-man stand-up based around a 'gritty Hollywood reboot' of the comedian's life, with much use of the Batman soundtrack, lamenting he'd been born in Kegworth rather than the village of Gotham ten miles away, and interludes relating to Love It! Magazine. Very engaging and genial stand-up, had us in stitches throughout. Under-attended when we saw him, deserves bigger audiences.

Humphrey Ker's Dymock Watson: Nazi Smasher, 7.15pm, Pleasance Courtyard: Another excellent one-man show. Essentially a comedy play/monologue, with Ker taking on numerous roles (and accents) with great precision to tell his adventure-serial tale of WW2 heroics and conspiracy. Spot-on period detail and rapid-fire gags, buttressed by some expertly deployed occasional swearing and some anachronistic touches that I can only describe as the Armstrong and Miller RAF pilots sketch but actually good. See this show at all costs.

• Upvote 1

Six shows deep today.

Felt really sorry for Steve Hall, fantastically astute comedian but because he's not loud and balls out funny. Some of the best lines I've heard all month.

There were less than 10 people in his show :(

20:30 at Plesance Courtyard - less than a tenner a ticket I think. Too much competition at that time, but a really well cooked show with a genuinely fucking lovely bloke.

The best things I have seen so far:

101 - interactive drama. Not for everyone, and it's a bit disappointing if you don't get picked to play a big part, but it feels really special in places.

A Clockwork Orange - very well done, and hugely homoerotic which is also nice.

Exsomnia - 55 minute dream sequence with no discernable narrative. Not good at all in any justifiable way, but somehow hugely entertaining just for how completely flipping mental it is.

Lights Camera Improvise - completely improvised play. It's probably a bit variable but the day I went it was absolutely brilliant. I've never laughed so hard in a theatre.

Principal Parts - very entertaining Franz Ferdinand assassination farce.

Rathmore’s Whippet - Beckett meets... something else. Very confusing and quite pretentious, but there's some really nice writing and the main actor is very good.

Just back from my annual trip and have a few recommendations:

Randy Is Sober: An hour of material from a purple-headed puppet, it was all-too easy to forget there was someone else in charge, Randy felt like a character of his own.

Diane Spencer: All-Pervading Madness: I guarantee you will never look at porridge in quite the same way again. Take a prude with you.

Andrew Lawrence: Dark humour from a stand-up with no mental checkpoint to vet his material for insensitivity. Haven't seen a bad show from him yet.

Totally Tom: the sketch double-act seem to be getting raves and, after having negotiated my way through a hoard of gap-yah students, I can see why. The German piano sketch early on is perfectly timed and more than a little mental.

Four Sad Faces: At the Canon's Gait for free each afternoon at 1.15 (after Robin Ince but get there early to see him, the bar allocates tokens), FSF are a sketch troupe with a nice line in surreal sketches and an abundance of enthusiasm. It's a great value way to start the day.

I also really enjoyed Dave Gorman's show. I was a little sceptical (bigger names often turn up, re-use old material, charge £25,000 a ticket) but happy to report it's worth your time.

Barry & Stuart were something of a disappointment though. They're doing two shows, The Show and The Tell and you need to see the first to see the second. The first is quite safe Fringe magic (especially given their normal high standard), nothing bad but nothing exceptional. The second, in which they spill the secrets of the tricks from The Show, is in a smaller venue and much more fun (and interesting to boot). I'm not sure the experience is worth the cumulative price.

I'm going to regret making this post amid all the positivity but I can't recommend UWE's The Secret of Monkey Island adaptation. Fifth-form mini-panto, but without the professionalism. The audience undertook an incredible journey from N America to the West Country to Haiti as the players tried out accents before defaulting to posh southern student, sometimes within a single line. Terrible script with matching performances, and all the best ideas stolen. Star of the show was LeChuck's papier-mâché beard.

Sounds awesome! If you have not seen at least one overly pretentious student production of something then you are definitely not getting the fringe experience!

I am off tomorrow! I have not planned anything yet so gonna play it by ear (except seeing as much Richard Herring as possible)

What I've seen:

Dave Gorman

Interesting as ususl but a bit tooo much talking about himself. He needs a new subject matter next time.

Andew Maxwell

Fairly conventional comedy well done, four out of five

Dregz

Student comedy show, the seminar leaders characters were good but the whole thing was only averahe.

Set it OFf! Street dance competition

Well worth it, go next year.

Kirt And Kirsten's Hot Tub

A variaty show by Kirsten Schaal and Kurt Banhourmmemesomething. Next year they should just do a show by themselves without any guests, who were totally upstaged by their charismatic hosts. GO SEE THIS SHOW!

Saw Jan Ham's thing last night. Was great! Would have said hi but don't gnow which one you are :)

Mainly using the fringe apps now and close function!

• Upvote 1

Saw Jan Ham's thing last night. Was great! Would have said hi but don't gnow which one you are :)

Mainly using the fringe apps now and close function!

Thanks mate! I was the old man - Roger Nostril.