rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ferine

PlayStation Network

How do you tell if Minecraft is a demo or not? All versions are still showing as "purchased" for me, there's been a few games that have gone free in the time I've been doing stuff although I think most are due to a game that was on PS+ becoming cross buy on another platform after the event and it loses its expiry date, but there have been a couple of mysteries. Things that have just gone free, for me:

Jak & Daxter Trilogy
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
Woah Dave!
Hotline Miami
Resogun
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (knowingly given away)
Steamworld Dig
Luftrausers
Frozen Synapse Prime
Minecraft

Fez won't download. Not surprised as it never even went into my basket, "Free" became "Download". It isn't in my download queue (even when I tell it to download) and not in the store on the PS3, only on t'web.

How do you tell if Minecraft is a demo or not?

When I run it it says "trial and unlock". But until then, nothing suggests it is a demo.

When I run it it says "trial and unlock". But until then, nothing suggests it is a demo.

Says it where?

Trial & unlock normally suggests its the full game

Otherwise the unlock is normally another tiny download

Yes, but at no point until you actually start playing the game does it say trial and unlock, and even then it only tells you in the "activity" page "under" the game page. E.g. "deKay01 has started playing Minecraft for Vita (Trial and Unlock)". Once in the game it's clearly the demo.

Even in my purchase history, Minecraft is listed as Purchased. In fact, there doesn't even seem to be a demo or trial and unlock version for the Vita - just for the PS3.

Fez is now showing as £7.99 again, by the way. Only it says I can download it. Except of course I can't.

346F34D1-686C-489A-BBD1-EE038A465B46_zps

Yes, but at no point until you actually start playing the game does it say trial and unlock, and even then it only tells you in the "activity" page "under" the game page. E.g. "deKay01 has started playing Minecraft for Vita (Trial and Unlock)". Once in the game it's clearly the demo.

Even in my purchase history, Minecraft is listed as Purchased. In fact, there doesn't even seem to be a demo or trial and unlock version for the Vita - just for the PS3.

Are you on about the Vita version? I can't see any evidence that it's the demo I've got on PS3, when you say it's clearly the demo when ingame does it plaster it on the front menu or something? I'm not even interested in it to be honest, only had a quick look round when I got it and felt a bit bewildered.

FEZ ultimately wasn't available for PS3 or Vita for me either though, and whether it is just a demo on PS4 I can't test.

Are you on about the Vita version? I can't see any evidence that it's the demo I've got on PS3, when you say it's clearly the demo when ingame does it plaster it on the front menu or something?

The PS3 one I got at the same time (it seemed to be cross buy) now says demo (in the icon), but didn't originally when I downloaded it.

I can't remember exactly what it says on the title screen on the Vita version as I've deleted it, but it said demo or trial or something like that.

Site Not Available

PlayStation®Store is currently not available.

You can learn about Sony Entertainment Network content and services at Sony Entertainment Network.

It's part of the summer of digital promotion, just gone up on the blog but I'm on my phone.

Anyone got anything nice to say about Jamestown?

Yeah, it's a lovely vert shooter and I'm upset that it's not on Vita.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised they were allowed to release Jamestown, Most of the bullets/bullet patterns, weapon effects and explosions look like sprite rips from various Cave games and Gigawing.

Oooh, Pix the Cat. Yoink.

EDIT: Wait - that's likely to be PS+, innit?

I'm surprised they were allowed to release Jamestown, Most of the bullets/bullet patterns, weapon effects and explosions look like sprite rips from various Cave games and Gigawing.

Nah, it's very much got it's own look compared to those. It is a bit similar looking to Gunbird 2 though if I had to pick a single game.

I still can't get into the store, through desktop, mobile or PS3.

Working for anyone else?

Site Not Available

You can learn about Sony Entertainment Network content and services at Sony Entertainment Network.

It was already on plus.

Was it? Oh, well then - no excuse!

I still can't get into the store, through desktop, mobile or PS3.

Working for anyone else?

Site Not Available

It has been up and down for a few days.

Nah, it's very much got it's own look compared to those. It is a bit similar looking to Gunbird 2 though if I had to pick a single game.

We'll have to disagree, The only original assets I can see in that one are the backgrounds, main ship and enemy sprites. Everything else looks lifted from the likes of Dodonpachi and Ibara.

We'll have to disagree, The only original assets I can see in that one are the backgrounds, main ship and enemy sprites. Everything else looks lifted from the likes of Dodonpachi and Ibara.

Just played DoDonPachi (MAME) and Jamestown (PC) to the first boss on both with a couple of different ships and seriously, the weapons effects and explosions look pretty different to me. The only thing I can give you is that the large round enemy bullets look similar but the other bullet types (of which there are plenty, in both) don't, and neither do the patterns. Even if shooters hadn't had similarities for decades it'd have to literally be an asset copy to be any problem, and none of it anywhere near is.

Just worth pointing out that a price cut is often a good indication that a game will be on PS+ in the near future.

I read this just after ordering the game, and I bet you're right! I guess it's good to be supporting DoubleFine though.

Just played DoDonPachi (MAME) and Jamestown (PC) to the first boss on both with a couple of different ships and seriously, the weapons effects and explosions look pretty different to me. The only thing I can give you is that the large round enemy bullets look similar but the other bullet types (of which there are plenty, in both) don't, and neither do the patterns. Even if shooters hadn't had similarities for decades it'd have to literally be an asset copy to be any problem, and none of it anywhere near is.

The laser looks like the hold from Dodonpachi Daioujou/black label, The explosions and smaller angular bullets are lifted from Ibara. There seems to be bullet patterns from a combination of Ketsui and Gigawing. If it wasn't such a nice genre they would have been called on it. There's a topic about how shamefully it rips off assets on shmupsforum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I apologise that out of the 100+ I've played that Ibara and Ketsui aren't two of them but there's no need to be condescending about it, happy to look at the shmups forum thread but I can't find it. Have you actually looked at them side by side though - the laser both looks and works very differently, and if you're going that route you may as well have a go at DonPachi and it's sequels ripping the laser off Raiden they're that dissimilar. It just doesn't seem to be anywhere near the direct asset lift you were stating as far as actually looking at it tells me.

edit: Just had a look at some Ibara videos and the explosions are nothing like those in Jamestown. I really am completely baffled why you're having such a go at this, I'm almost wondering if you're mixing it up with another game entirely now.

• Upvote 2