IGNORED

The best Amiga art & artists

merman

So, Retro Gamer have commissioned me to write an article on Amiga art and the artists.

What game had your favourite graphics on the Amiga?

Who was your favourite Amiga artist?

And what would you say are the iconic Amiga images?

So, Retro Gamer have commissioned me to write an article on Amiga art and the artists.

The Amiga, in it's early days, was known as a good machine for rendering and one of the iconic animations is the juggler (GIF here). At least my memory says so.

Later on though I was really wowed by the psygnosis artwork especially in Shadow of the Beast.

Cheers...

Off the top of my head I would've immediately cited Avril Harrison, her Tutankhamun mask was iconic back in the day. To see such an image after leaving the 8 bit gen so soon after the 16 bit gen arrived was a gobsmacking experience.

AH, also did the graphics for Monkey Island, certainly on the Amiga, the close up of Governor Marley is supposedly a self portrait.

I also thought of Jim Sachs and some of the images of his in the link, posted below, bear out my instincts.

This link may steal some of the thunder from your future article so I'll remove it if you wish.;)

http://amiga.lychesis.net/artist/index.html

AH_KingTut.gif

I immediately thought of two names that I always saw producing amazing animations, and who's PD disks I'd always be after. Tobias Richter and Eric Schwartz.

Tobias always used to put out sci-fi themed animations. He put together a much longer animation in 1992 that you could get on VHS. I still have mine kicking around somewhere. It can now of course be seen on YouTube

Eric did very disney-esque animations, and had a few key characters he created like Amy the squirrel. Whilst I've not noticed anything coming from Tobias of recent years, Eric put out an Amiga tribute featuring the portal music.

Further to my earlier posting about Avril Harrison, behold this page of Monkey Island graphical worship and also note Governor Marley.

http://emerald-embers.livejournal.com/640867.html

And to complete my investigative journalism, not quite on a NOTW tip, I've facestalked Avril for you. Judging by her appearance, location and friend's list I'd say it is her...

http://www.facebook.com/people/Avril-Harrison/1421832114?sk=info

Amazing! Check this out (Chrome/Firefox only, most likely). http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/canvas-cycle/

Erm, back on topic: there's a whole world of PD demoscene work which defines the very envelope of Amiga graphics. Equinox, Red Sector, Spaceballs... a lot of the work of their artists was exemplary.

As for iconic images: the boing ball and the various "insert workbench" boot logos are the final word to me! My homage to the original kickstart logo is below (2011, obsidian and wool gouache on seaboard)...

24z927o.png

Deluxe Paint's King Tut and the bouncing ball demo are a couple of the most obviously recognisable ones.

The Bitmap Brothers games all had a very distinctive look to them with excellent crisp metallic designs - you didn't need to see the box to know it was one of their games and that's been pretty rare throughout the history of gaming. Ultimate and Thalamus are a couple of others that were obvious before then, and Cinemaware's titles also stand out for me.

Pinball Dreams/Fantasies are worth a mention, as is Stunt Car Racer. The latter doesn't look so impressive as a static image but as a moving track it was damn impressive for the time.

Eric Schwartz was definatly one of my favorite people in the Amiga scene. Loved all his animations and generally tracked down most of his stuff - if memory recalls he had a monthly column in CU Amiga as well which I always enjoyed reading.

Games with stand out graphics? Thats something I might have to have a think about. There were certainly a lot of games with nice visuals - just nothing that really stands out. Lucas Arts had some great artwork in their point & click games, but I never found Monkey Islands graphics to be too great (well compared to the sequel anyway).

Some good suggestions so far - waiting to hear back from Eric Schwarz and Rico Holmes at the moment, but have four more game artists.

Gregory - yeah, that's a brilliant site and I've asked for permission to use images. I like the layout of it too, particularly the way the pointer can change the mode.

Eric Schwartz was definatly one of my favorite people in the Amiga scene. Loved all his animations and generally tracked down most of his stuff - if memory recalls he had a monthly column in CU Amiga as well which I always enjoyed reading.

Games with stand out graphics? Thats something I might have to have a think about. There were certainly a lot of games with nice visuals - just nothing that really stands out. Lucas Arts had some great artwork in their point & click games, but I never found Monkey Islands graphics to be too great (well compared to the sequel anyway).

The thing that is most remarkable about the original Monkey Island is the facial portraits and the fact that the very talented artist, Avril Harrison, appears to have used a self portrait for Governor Marley. Did you check out those portraits?

Some good suggestions so far - waiting to hear back from Eric Schwarz and Rico Holmes at the moment, but have four more game artists.

Gregory - yeah, that's a brilliant site and I've asked for permission to use images. I like the layout of it too, particularly the way the pointer can change the mode.

I only found that site today based on your request cos I was dying to find some Avril Harrison stuff. Please don't skimp on the pioneers. Schwarz is great but he even paid homage to the mighty tutankhamun mask in is his amiga tribute animation.

I always had a soft spot for Watchman of LSD, he had a great style, I always looked forward to getting the latest Grapevine diskmag to see his latest pics. Don't know what his real name was, but I seem to think he went to Core Design in Derby to do graphics for their games in the early/mid 90s.

Oh, and thanks to the poster early in the thread for pointing out the artist of the Tutakhamun mask. *DEFINITELY* the defining piece of Amiga art!

Well people have mentioned the bitmaps but not the guy responsible..

Dan Malone was a god back in the day. His economy, style and use of palettes unmatched. You only need to look at his stuff today to appreciate quite how good he was. That and look at the bloody awful ios ports they've done...

Anyway, yes Dan Malone, probably my favorite pixel artist. A 6 page interview with him would be amazing. Make it happen. Invite me along too, Ive got a lot to ask him. ;-)

Ooh and iconic images, thats easy. Defender of the crown, Turrican, It came from the desert, Xenon 2, Rocket Ranger, f29 Retaliator, shadow of the beast..

Would be criminal if you didn't mention some of the amazing artists on the demoscene at the time (that have now mainly gone on to professional work). I mainly know them by their scene names unfortunately, but Facet, Kenet, made, Ra, Cougar all stand out as being top of the league

eg

Cougar_HairDog.gif

Ra_Einstein1.gif

The thing that is most remarkable about the original Monkey Island is the facial portraits and the fact that the very talented artist, Avril Harrison, appears to have used a self portrait for Governor Marley. Did you check out those portraits?

This has been said several times, but has anyone ever actually seen a photo of her?

Because, well - sorry this seems so cynical - but the woman portrayed as Governor Marley is stunningly beautiful, and I can see why if such a rumour started about a person, they probably wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to dismiss it!

• 1 month later...

New issue has just arrived, I've thumbed through and read the odd box out and I'm somewhat miffed with your debunking of the guybrush naming convention.

I recall this anecdote from back in the day and no one ever suggested the file extension was .brush, it was merely that the artist designing the character referred to it as the (unnamed)guy brush. Dpaint allowed you to design particular graphics and save them as brushes as distinct from background art, the difference being you could paint with a saved brush if you wanted to do so.

wiki has a far more historically accurate version of the tale than the inaccurate one you debunk in the article.

Unless you have the original artist testimony to debunk the story then I'll continue to believe what I always have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guybrush_Threepwood

On topic have a look at these examples of colour cycling in html5. Remember colour cycling?

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/?sound=0

You'll need to click on the link to see it in action.

So, I respond in a topic called 'The best Amiga art & artists' about an inaccurate statement made in a resultant article published in retrogamer about the naming conventions of an iconic amiga game character created in deluxe paint on an amiga and you have the brass neck to respond with 'On topic' then proceed to post admittedly awesome pictures which weren't created on an amiga but have a tenuous link due to them featuring colour cycling. I'd say there was no need for your on topic remark and would counter that if anyone is off topic then it is you but I wouldn't have bothered pointing it out if you hadn't been so uncharitable about my last response in this thread. Still, nice pictures.

But staying on your topic, here are some colour cycling pix, on the amiga, taken from the link I posted in post #4 of this thread.

http://amiga.lychesis.net/artist/LJL/ljl_JumboDog.html

Jumbo dog (linked), champagne glasses, heartbeat, skier all work well. The rest don't animate nor do I think they were supposed to, apart from the weather map which definitely used to be an example of colour cycling. The names I refer to are not the actual image names.

mi1v-gbclose.png

New issue has just arrived, I've thumbed through and read the odd box out and I'm somewhat miffed with your debunking of the guybrush naming convention.

Agreed fine sir. I expect the follow up article (which shows more demoscene artists) will be debunking the myth that 'Threepwood' was because the artist used to walk through a wood that was sooo big he would have to take three pee's whilst traversing it.

:wacko:

Agreed fine sir. I expect the follow up article (which shows more demoscene artists) will be debunking the myth that 'Threepwood' was because the artist used to walk through a wood that was sooo big he would have to take three pee's whilst traversing it.

:wacko:

That's pretty funny, I'm not sure if you're agreeing or taking the p (X3). I'll give you a +1 if I have any left to give.

If not, take an IPOU