Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

Asura

Speaking of grouping up, I was out on my sniper lonesome again (stealth is awesome for escaping superior firepower) and trying to pick off lone bases. Some guys had the same idea, except they had a single player plane scoping out bases and flying CAP while the drop ship lands, couple of guys get out and get the flags then they dust off to the next base. It was magnificent to watch and reminded me of the slick coordination of a clan I was in for Battlefield 2.

That's how I like to play, in units who play regularly and know what they're doing.

I'm running out of adjectives to describe how god damn epic this game is. I thought I'd have a change of tact and hung around the NC warp base, primarily to figure out what you can do there, but also to hitch a lift on a galaxy if a base raid was going on. Hooked up with a couple of guys in a 3 man ship and we had a riot, circling high and strafing tanks and stuff. I gave it a go, but couldn't fly for shit (need a stick, my brain can't cope with mouse flying), but when he did it we hovered nice and high over the theatre and banked around as us two gunners laid into stuff. It was amazing being able to give Are Boys on the ground some air support. I even managed to bag a fighter jet that was giving us chase.

Later on, we grabbed a galaxy and a couple of other blokes and went looking for something to do (it strikes me as though a galaxy pilot really needs to have a plan). Anyway, en route to somewhere, with our tanks driving some distance below us, a fighter of ours caught sight of us and gracefully swooped down and took up station just behind us. It was so beautiful it looked scripted.

I've got a whole new appreciation for the skill of pilots doing these delicate maneuvers in and around bases.

I know other games have been doing similar for ages (although many came after PS1, I'm sure), but it's just the sheer scale that's so boggling.

edit - NDA has been lifted, apparently.

I know other games have been doing similar for ages (although many came after PS1, I'm sure), but it's just the sheer scale that's so boggling.

The way I've always seen it is what happens in the linear, corridor levels of Halo, in Planetside just happens without scripting.

I'm happy to see that some of you are now as excited about it as me. I think I might give it a rest now; I've played enough of the beta to know it's going to be awesome, so I may hold off until the proper launch. Plus, with Guild Wars 2 having just come out, it's not the best time :lol:

I'm having such a different experience to all of you :(

Every time I've played it's been so sparse, just endlessly driving around trying to find people. Even the hotspots have at most 3 people there. Luck of the draw I guess.

forever alone :(

What are you packing, for reference? Probably getting an i7-3/660M.

• HDD: Seagate 500GB SATA-600 7200rpm 16MB Barracuda
  • SSD: Samsung 830 series 128GB
  • MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3
  • Video: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Socket 1155
  • PSU: Corsair TX550M
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
  • Optical Drive: Samsung DVD-reWriter Serial-ATA SH-222AB
  • Audio: Asus Xonar Essence STX
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
  • Display: Samsung Syncmaster S22A300B
  • K/M: Corsair Vengeance K60 & Corsair Vengance M60

I don't think there's a firm date for the launch yet.

I do however think that they're sitting on a powder keg. Much as I'm a Planetside fan, this game has far outstripped my expectations of how good it could have been. They need a big marketing push.

Holy shit its going to be F2P? Crazy bastards.

@stu: I'm rocking a similar setup to VN1X, ie. An i5 2500k (overclocked 33% faster than stock, yo!) and a GTX480. I'm amazed at how well it runs, even during chaos.

@pk: last night was the first time I was part of a MASSIVE battle. Before then things had been a little sparse. The hotspots aren't always accurate it would seem. My advice would be to hover the mouse over the areas that have hotspots, you get a little pop up showing the split of players in that area. If you can find one with an even 50:50 split, or have a 3 way split you're laughing. If you drop and still don't find any action, following the borders between territory is a good way to find some action.

I do love the quiet times though. Cruising as an infiltrator, spotting a sneaky enemy or two trying to take a building. Parking up miles away, picking off one with the sniper, before sneaking in and knifing the other.

This morning was bleak though, the Terran Republic had over 50% players, and were in the process of taking over the entire continent. After losing a small outpost to a drop ship, me and my couple of teammates watched about 20 other drop ships, supported by light aircraft, jetting off to the next base. I forgot to start fraps or I would've took a video. :(

I keep forgetting that this beta is only a single continent. And that the full game will contain a planet with several massive continents. And maybe even other planets?! Mental.

So, certs then. Anyone know why most of them are disabled/cost 999999? A beta thing or is it a sign of the micro transactions the game is obviously going to have? How about respec, how do I do that? I'm scared to spend any points yet until I know how to revert heh. I realised there's probably a limit of respec, ie once per 24hrs.

Schnibbles, you may be OK. I can run it on my work laptop which has a crappy GPU. Min CPU is a core 2 duo I believe. As long as you dial everything to low, it'll be playable. You'll need quite a bit of ram though, apparently.

Worth noting the engine isn't fully optimised yet.

Looked up those GPUs you guys mention, about 50% more grunt than the mobile 660, but I think I'll be alright as I'll be at laptop resolution.

edit - by the way, do we have a vague release date, like Q2 2013? Or is it still all rather When It's Done™ at the moment?

Min and recommended specs:

http://wiki.planetsi..._Specifications

First game I've seen require 4gig, although I'm not up on bleeding edge PC stuff any more, and it's understandable given the epic scale.

I have noticed that the initial texture load takes forever, but there's pretty much zero load time thereafter when you have 8gig of ram. I'm guessing it just caches everything to prevent load during gameplay.

Min and recommended specs:

http://wiki.planetsi..._Specifications

First game I've seen require 4gig, although I'm not up on bleeding edge PC stuff any more, and it's understandable given the epic scale.

I have noticed that the initial texture load takes forever, but there's pretty much zero load time thereafter when you have 8gig of ram. I'm guessing it just caches everything to prevent load during gameplay.

Haha, I hit the minimum specs dead-on. :lol:

I suppose it's a good thing as at-least they've probably tried it on the same build.

Man I've looked about a bit but struggling to find a newbie guide that explains everything.

I mean, I have no idea what the different resources are for, or how they're obtained.

I thought I understood how to capture nodes, (ie just stand next to a control point) but yesterday found one that wouldn't capture.

I don't get how to respec.

Top tip I discovered this morning: if you hot drop to a quiet spot and regret it, hitting the Redeploy button on the map screen will let you choose a new place to spawn (a bit like when you've died).

That redeploy kills you, though I have used it many times. Yeah, a guide would be good. I've seen people at bases shooting what look like generators, no idea why. Also, the coloured bar charts on the left of your hud? That's local influence. Even if you capture all flags, if you've got lower influence you may not capture that hexagon.

There's subtleties like this I really want to learn, to get my tactical game going.