Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

Asura

I just signed up to the beta with my old SOE account that had Planetside 1 on it.

By the way, I didn't merge my 3 accounts in the end. Turns out it costs $25, and you lose veteran rewards on the secondary accounts. My one with Planetside has EQ2 and SWG on it, so sod it, I'll just use this one in future. Can't quite figure out why I made other accounts for games like Vanguard.

Anyway, just briefly about the game, before someone lets me know what I'm allowed to say: it's really difficult to see what's going on sometimes, especially in the dark. I played for 30 minutes and I'm not actually convinced I hit any of the other team. I definitely hit my own players though, because it flashed up a warning message. Big change for me, coming from TF2 where you can spray bullets with impunity. I think they're going to have to make other players more obvious, like different coloured names or something. Unless I just need to figure out the options for the HUD, of course.

I assume you need to pick one of the 3 factions. We'll have to team up.

Logo_nc.pngNC - you know it makes sense!!

Still a little bit frustrated I've not heard anything yet. I just double-checked my account; my previous Planetside account purchases are definitely still on there.

Looks like it's only active subs now, then past ones, then priority keys which are PCGamer and some twitter, that's gathered from the SOE president's twitter. PCGamer/twitter access should be in one to two weeks. Also worth noting they pointed out on twitter that previous subs need to make sure they've registered for the beta as it's not automatic.

So looks as if all things go well, more people should start getting access in the next few weeks. Just to pass some of the time a video of the recent beta stream, doesn't work in 1080p and stutters are from streaming problems.

My current laptop's 4200 nvidia, even with an i5, was struggling on all medium settings at 1366 res. Fortunately, it still looks good when you scale it all back.

But yeah, for full on chubby with so many folks around, looks like a decent PC may be in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to download and get into the beta...

And a crippling visual bug means I can't play :( Everything is black in-game - like I can see the HUD, but nothing else. Apparently it's a known issue and they're working on it.

Naturally, it's a beta, so you expect this kind of thing - but I'm still very disappointed - I've been waiting for this game for over five years!! What's even more maddening is I CAN play it - but I can't see anything! :P

I haven't installed it on the new machine, no - I need to download it again so I'll do that tonight.

It looked AMAZING on my old machine - but it was a flickering, glitchy slideshow and everything was black 5 out of 6 reboots.

Give us an update when you've got it running.

By the way, how did you sign up for the beta? I remember seeing that it was offered to everyone who had played Planetside 1.

I signed up not long after starting this thread! But you're right to ask - the email didn't come through until a while after the beta started. I think the people who had codes from PCGamer had priority really.

Has anyone got in but had problems with downloading it? Got the email Saturday but following the download link just ends with me back on the main page, I've tried it in various browsers. Sent a message to support, I've seen others with the same problem but no solutions mentioned.

I managed to download it last night, but unfortunately I was unable to get into the game - all the servers come up as "locked", so the beta must currently be closed. I'll try again later today, but I might have to wait until some unspecified point in the future to try it again.

Just had a go, and it's everything I wanted it to be. It is an amazing sequel and looks INCREDIBLE. The atmosphere is marvelous.

Polmon, with everything maxed out, it ran superbly on my new machine, so the build you're considering will be fine. I don't know about FPS as there was no counter, but it certainly never chugged.

One thing I didn't say earlier - this is by far the best looking game I've ever seen - and I REALLY mean that. Nothing has captured the scale and awe of a realised sci-fi war in the way Planetside 2 does. You spawn, and emerge from a building into the night air, lights and aerials on buildings marking out bases and outposts in the distance; on the horizon you see a transport cruiser streaking across the sky, chased by exploding flak coming from turrets, tracer fire lighting up the rocks, foliage, sides of buildings, your weapons... The next moment you climb a ridge to see a valley in a state of total war, tanks coming in along roads, airborne dogfights taking place as aerial vehicles come crashing down amid the chaos...

I'm honestly blown the fuck away. Planetside is back.

OK, I doubt anything could really get many on the forum behind such an obscure PC-only title, but still, I recorded this video (via the game's in-game video capture tools, which in the final game will automatically upload to YouTube). This isn't anything special; this is just the kind of shit that happens when you play. ALL THE TIME.

Sadly it doesn't have sound - but it still gives an idea of how epic in scale the game is.

Is there a way to clearly mark which targets are the bad guys? I'm struggling to pick out who I should be shooting. I guess you could memorise the vehicles eventually, but what about people in the distance, particularly at night? Own goals are frowned upon.

Is there a way to clearly mark which targets are the bad guys? I'm struggling to pick out who I should be shooting. I guess you could memorise the vehicles eventually, but what about people in the distance, particularly at night? Own goals are frowned upon.

Friendlies, if in radar range of yourself or a vehicle (if it's the same as the original game) are highlighted - so anything which moves that isn't highlighted is usually an enemy. However, you do get friendly fire as there's a lot of just having to look at what's going on to work out who's who. That's all part of the game.

Each empire has a distinct colour scheme.

The NC (who Asura was playing as) are yellow and blue, the Vanu are purple, and the glorious Terran Republic are red.

You quickly learn to identify things when playing.

Holy fuck that does look all kinds of amazing.

I know, right? :omg:

I really hope it does better than the original. Planetside as a concept is incredible, and deserves a shot at major success. It's literally everything I ever wanted the first time I saw a first-person shooter.

Polmon, I meant to tell you-- I think this channel is safe..

I've.. I've abandoned the Republic.

Join us at the Conglomerate. Its time for a fresh start.

Asura, that video had me grinning like a loon. Looks incredible. Like games I imagined as a child. Epic star wars for reals :wub:

Aye, I could see the different colour outfits, but in a melee it was impossible to tell. It sounds ridiculous, but I've only done base assaults with loads of mingled players and I haven't killed anyone. How do you ensure you don't own goal at night? Sure, it's realistic, but my eyes render at a much higher resolution, and real combat would be much more structured with less banzai charges.

@dood - Well, I suppose it'll be nice to use a jackhammer that isn't covered in it's owners blood for once.

@Stu - I hadn't thought of that. The first games lighting was done in a way that meant you could always make out the 'colours' of the empire, regardless of the time of day or weather.

OK, just put in a 2 hour session. It helps my crappy laptop to run it in Low settings (although it still looks good). I wish I could articulate just how staggeringly epic this game is, even with only a small beta population. I don't even know where to start describing it all, but the last 15 minutes probably sums it up well. I get cut off from the main action and I'm not sure how to use the warp hub, so I grab an ATV and go exploring. Eventually I chance upon an empty, 1 capture point red base and figure hell, why not. And the bit of the map lights up blue! Sweet. So I go looking for other places I can pick off, miles from the action. I find a massive, 5 point base spread out over something akin to Texas, and I lose track of my bike, so I spend ages legging it around on foot. After a while, someone on my side starts flying CAP above me, which was a nice touch. I get all 5 capture points and I'm twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the capture. Nowt. (was I doing something wrong?). Anyway, for some reason the ! thing lights up for this area on the map, and a couple of bad guys turn up picking off the capture points slightly quicker than I could re-capture. About a minute later, all sides start piling in, so I'm frantically getting the captures when the tide starts turning our way. There's a couple left, and as I'm sprinting toward one in the melee, expecting purple to pick me off, I'm just about there and a ship swoops down in front of my, a dozen of our lads leap out and it swooshes off again. I was like :wub:! And then we eventually took the base.

Totally hooked.

edit - oh, not sure if it's changed since I last played, but there's a blue carat above the head of team mates. It's still almost impossible to know WTF is going on in a melee (and you'll need a hella PC for these), but out in the wild you quickly start to spot the other side. Even vehicles started to get familiar after 2 hours.

Oh, and you'll need a pad or stick for flying, it's total bobbins on the mouse.