Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

Asura

This months PCGamer has a code for entry to the Beta as soon as it starts, so if you want to guarantee getting in early it's one way to do it. I buy the magazine anyway so signed up and waiting for it to start.

Beta sign up is on the official Planetside 2 site.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah man, brilliant news. Perfect reason to go cold turkey from the Diablo 3 slot machine.

Question though, after adding my PC gamer code to my SOE account, it all seemed to work but I don't see the game under my account page. Is that normal?

Also, and this is a difficult question, but which faction is everyone going? My loyalties lie with the Terran Republic, but I'm half tempted to jump ship if it means I have some rllmuk bros to play with. :)

Ah man, brilliant news. Perfect reason to go cold turkey from the Diablo 3 slot machine.

Question though, after adding my PC gamer code to my SOE account, it all seemed to work but I don't see the game under my account page. Is that normal?

Also, and this is a difficult question, but which faction is everyone going? My loyalties lie with the Terran Republic, but I'm half tempted to jump ship if it means I have some rllmuk bros to play with. :)

Cast off the tyranny of the Terran Republic and reject the foolhardy heresy of the Sovreignty! New Conglomerate forever! ;)

If no-one else has strong feelings, I feel I have to go with the NC. They were my brothers in Planetside 1, I shall fight alongside them in Planetside 2!

Yes, was the same for me and also wondered if it had worked, but I got the email to say I will be in so assume it's worked.

And New Conglomerate.. hmmmm. I'm torn.

(Post to be read whilst listening to the below video)

Join us brother! Leave the old order behind and fight to be free! Charge into battle with your new NC brothers! Tear through your enemies and push across Auraxis in hues of blue and gold, enemies fleeing in fear at the sound of your powerful, single shot weapons! Shred infantry with the triple-barelled Jackhammer shotgun, or crush them with the Scattercannon MAX armour, or obliterate their numbers with the mighty Vanguard main battle tank! For land! For power! Forever!

... You get the general gist. Whereas the Vanu were always about experimental alien weapons that fire purple gunk, and the Terrans had their piddly machine guns, the NC were all about raw power in a single shot - shotguns, cannons and the like. Their weapons usually fired slower but were far more powerful on a per-shot basis than others, and usually had very good armour penetration too (their default rifle, The Gauss, was the most flexible in the game, designed for middle distance combat - whereas the Terran one was useless at range and the Vanu one was poor up close). Need I post this again?

psscreenshot0018.jpg

Seriously can't wait for this. I'd totally given up hope on having another Planetside game. The original was by far my favourite game ever.

Beta plans, source

Hey all!

First off, we're really all insanely excited about getting everyone in and playing the game as soon as possible. This has been a long road and it feels like we've all been in it together, having this next phase getting kicked off is a huge thrill for us.

I wanted to come by and give you guys some info about our beta plans and have there be one source of info from the dev team about what we're doing with beta rather than having a bunch of speculation based on tweets. Most of this info has been out there, but in various disconnected posts, so here it is all in one easy to reference spot.

Here is some general info about our current beta plans, what you should expect and when. I'll be sure to update this with more info and answers to more questions as I see them.

1 - Our external testing will be kicking off sometime this week (to be totally clear, I mean the week of July 9th - July 15th) with the technical test that we've been talking a lot about. This test will let us make sure the game runs across a variety of hardware configurations and the people invited will be hand picked based on the requirements in our hardware matrix. We're currently internally evaluating the build we expect to be used for this test and those players who have been selected will be receiving invites as soon as we're ready.

2 - We will be opening up the test in multiple phases or stages, inviting more and more players for each phase. Our priority invitees are those of you who are PlanetSide vets, and those who have priority beta keys (i.e. keys from the PC Gamer magazines), as well as those who received keys from members of the dev teams or at E3. Just so I'm 100% clear, we're not going to be opening the floodgates by inviting all of the thousands of PlanetSide veterans on day 1, but you are still the highest priority to get invites as we expand the testing circle out.

3 - Beta testing will begin with specific pre-determined times, and eventually will open up to being available more often. These testing times will be communicated through email to players who have been flagged for access.

4 - PlanetSide vets do not need a beta key, their accounts will be flagged for beta and they will receive an email letting them know – if you are a PlanetSide veteran, make sure your station account email is up to date.

5 - While we’re making every effort to communicate accurate times & dates to you guys, and get the beta going as soon as possible, if unforeseen circumstances occur and we’re forced to delay testing then we will.

6 - Beta testing is a critically important part of our development cycle on this project, we may be asking you to only play on tanks for a play session, or only play aircraft. We are doing true beta testing, not just a game demo and we implore those of you who are invited to understand and respect that. Things will break, the server will be unavailable sometimes, we will cancel scheduled tests when we find something that breaks before the test starts. All of this will help us make a better final game.

Looking forward to shooting you in the face and / or shooting other people in the face alongside you.

So technical testing starts in the next day or two, hopefully it won't be long after that the test starts to open up for the priority access.

Cool. I managed to reclaim my old Planetside 1 Station Account about a year ago (thanks to the help of one of their admins via a 1hr live chat - I can't fault their customer service) as soon as they announced that Planetside 1 players were automatically eligible for early beta access.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more people talk about this. Everyone here bitches about how FPS has become really stagnant and dull; Planetside 2 might not be too far from the likes of Halo in terms of art style, but technically and design-wise it's really going above and beyond. Even though it's largely a remake of the original game, it's kinda shameful that it still feels so innovative and fresh because the rest of the genre didn't pick up the gauntlet and run with it - now 8 years on the original Planetside's vision is still brave and bold.

It's simple - Planetside is persistent, online, large scale multiplayer warfare. It's a battle for supremacy in an FPS fashion without lobbies or rooms, without matches or servers - simply a world with battle lines that dynamically shift across the landscape. It's multiplayer but with the drama of a solo game - sci-fi military-style action unfolds every hour. You'll sneak behind enemy lines and just manage to take and hold a tower allowing you to break through enemy lines. You'll have to resupply a base, breaking the siege just before the power runs out. You'll defend the walls of a fortress whilst frantically communicating with nearby friendly forces, and only just hold it until reinforcements arrive. The difference is unlike a single-player title, it's all dynamic, coalescing in an unscripted way - and every actor is a real player with their own customisations and skillset. It's FPS. It's vehicle combat. It's a grand strategy game. The war rages on, day and night - and there are thousands of players.

If anyone's on the fence, or doesn't know much about it, it's going to be Free-to-Play so please, please give it a go. Believe me, it'll knock your socks off.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a beta invite! Will give it a whirl this weekend.

Hmm, I must say, I'm quite put out - did you play Planetside 1? SOE promised that players with legacy Planetside 1 accounts would be first in line - but I've not received an invite yet.

It should parse the youtube URL automatically, not sure why it's not doing it there.

Yeah, I signed up for the beta using my PS1 account. Is it possible to merge station accounts? For some reason, I've got 3 and I'm unable to login to any of them. The password reset page is broken, and because I tried it a couple of times I can't try again for another 24 hours. Sigh.

It should parse the youtube URL automatically, not sure why it's not doing it there.

Yeah, I signed up for the beta using my PS1 account. Is it possible to merge station accounts? For some reason, I've got 3 and I'm unable to login to any of them. The password reset page is broken, and because I tried it a couple of times I can't try again for another 24 hours. Sigh.

Yes, get on their live text chat support system. They'll sort you out - they did for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ, this looks good. The environment around 8 minutes is superb. I love the night time flight showing tracer fire and pockets of fighting. I can't see me logging into TF2 after this launches.

I assume you need to pick one of the 3 factions. We'll have to team up.