IGNORED

Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

Asura

I was playing the closed beta on my UK PSN account, but want to play it on my US. Seems I need to redownload it, plus it still shows in my library as closed beta (and indeed the downloads).

Oh well, 10gig wait incoming. I'm up for playing, assuming we're all on the same servers, or you can select US/EU manually.

Only took 9 hours to download on my PS4, I don't know why, if this had been on my laptop via Steam it would have been done in an hour, why does stuff download so slow from PSN dayum?!

Anyway I played the game for roughly 40 mins and really enjoyed it. I'm going to get out of the noob area and head to one of the other planets, I read that is where you will experience the big battles. I didn't notice any framerate issues, only issue I had was I got disconnected from the busy euro server so I created a new character on the second euro server and had no problems on there.

I have played some more and still no frame rate issues, inside or outside yet. I have hopped over to one one the planets and got involved in a battle for some facility or whatever and things were much more tense but still not as big as I would like so far, hopefully when I play some later on I can be part of a massive battle. I want dozens of infantry and numerous land and air vehicles duking it out, epic style.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread this has been my "go to" game for the last couple of years mainly in part because of the huge battles that can take place and you know that each and every person you're fighting against (and with) is another player. Sure, there are hackers but most online games suffer to some extent, Planetside goes through phases depending on the latest hax.

When it works, its amazing and everything you would want in a combined, military style shooter (for want of a better word) buts its all about finding what you're happy with and that can be hard to get when you're been facerolled by the zerg or trying to learn how to fly but run into gank squads or an armoured column.

They've looked to improve the new player experience but I'm not sure how much of it has helped :)

These are a couple of sites that might be of interest to newcomers:

Planetside Reddit (as with a lot of games the official forums are shit and at least the devs do occasionaly respond on reddit) Each server usually has its own subreddit. here also maybe links to vids that'll help de-mystify some of the game play.

Players Stats Search for yours or other players and see some of their stats. Not sure if this (will) includes PS4 players. Here's mine not particularly amazing cos i'm still shit at it :P certainly in comparison to ScourgeOfTheServer outfit leader of Connery VS outfit Future Crew. You get the idea.

Rebel Scum DBG (SOE) opened up planetside's API and here you can see a (rough) up to date population tracker of each server along with alert stats. Might not be relevant to most people but Planetside has a lot of stats outside of the in game leaderboard stuff it already displays.

Lilibabs is part of a VS outfit on Cobalt, my server, who has done some really nice vids. This is my favourite

There's also "Server Smashes" where they organise a group of players from one server to take on another set of players from another server.

Rank 15 before you get let loose in the wild??? Had no idea where I was going and what I was going to do when I got there. Saw one other player who I think turned out to be was on my side and I killed him, some warning came up when I did it. Its not for me.

I have played some more and still no frame rate issues

Are you sure it is Planetside 2 you are playing?

The frame rate varies between close to 60 to down sub 30. Take a look at the the video DF has on the Eurogamer site and you'll see that it dips especially as they are running through one of the larger buildings. Think the lowest was about 26-27 in their video.

The new player experience is... not quite up to scratch yet :) I loaded up for the first time last night. While it sounded promising with a little note telling me that the first area was for new starters and was geared towards learning the ropes, what actually happened was I got thrown in to a game in progress with no idea what my objectives were, no idea what the controls were, and no idea how to distinguish between my team and the opposing team.

Some reading required, I think...

Are you sure it is Planetside 2 you are playing?

The frame rate varies between close to 60 to down sub 30. Take a look at the the video DF has on the Eurogamer site and you'll see that it dips especially as they are running through one of the larger buildings. Think the lowest was about 26-27 in their video.

Maybe it does, just saying it doesn't impact my enjoyment of the game. V sync issues I have noticed but still nothing that bothers me.

What does bother me is the price of stuff using the BC currency, way over priced, they need to be 1/10 of what they are right now.

Me neither, they were much more noticeable on my PC during the beta for that version.

Anyway, dove in last night, US Crux server, NC. Got to about rank 4 in 90 minutes. I must say, the newcomer bit is rubbish. If I hadn't played the original and quite a bit of PC beta for 2, I'd be stuck. Surprised by that, unless the point of the newbie area is to limit the scope? I've spent a lot of time on the main continent spawned somewhere sans vehicle and thus running a lot.

My tip for newcomers would be to go Heavy. Tank busting is so much fun, plus the character is pretty nails anyway. I'm struggling with the UI a bit, as I was awarded some medal but I've no idea where I can look at those things. Time to read, I guess.

I actually intended to have a go of Driveclub last night, but couldn't put this down. Good omen, hopefully.

Not sure about the PS4 UI but if you got a medal it'll be detailed on the gun you got it with. Same with a "ribbon".

There are also "directives" which are basically achievements, on the PC they have their own tab, when you look at your map/loadout screen, probably next to the "implant" tab.

BR 5. OK, the tutorial area makes more sense, now. Bottom left out tells you, with a direction arrow and distance, which base to take next. It'll also recommended the next thing to blow up (shield gen, capture flags, etc). Just do that. The recommended thing will show up in the UI with some text like CAPTURE or DEFEND. Just keep an eye out.

I think friendly team members have triangles over their head, for reference.

Not sure about the PS4 UI but if you got a medal it'll be detailed on the gun you got it with. Same with a "ribbon".

There are also "directives" which are basically achievements, on the PC they have their own tab, when you look at your map/loadout screen, probably next to the "implant" tab.

That makes sense. It gives you a bit of a breakdown when you die, which medals you're working towards, etc. I paid attention when I dinged 5, unlocked engineer. Makes we me wonder what the earlier unlocks were.

Played this on PC, in the beta and now full release. Won't go through the common issues like the lack of a tutorial, but there are some major issues.

Primarily this is a social game. Get a squad together, get murdering. So you leave random squad to invite some friends. Only they sometimes cannot get into squad, or even be seen in the same area. Okay, so maybe we will just rejoin a random squad. Only doesn't seem to be a way to do it aside from logging in again. There also doesn't seem to be option to set a squad you make to public.

The other major problem is the controls. Get in a Lightning. Turret is super sensitive. So you lower the sensitivity. No problem. Now I shall jump into friend's Sunderer. Now you can barely move the turret. Having all ground vehicle movement on the left stick is terrible for anything that is not a tank. Having pitch and roll on same stick is terrible for planes. Can you configure the sticks separately? I would love to know of you could.

Not to mention the bugs. I spent a few hours Saturday with a message that I got some XP for a Sunderer kill assist. Couldn't remove it, just stopped there all game. UI frequently remains on screen when you exit the menu.

It just runs like ass, just like the beta. They just never fixed it. There would be a good game in here if you could easily squad up and accomplish something. Hell on PC version I gave often spawned at warpgate and a Galaxy (dropship) is waiting to ferry randoms somewhere. Barely anyone has unlocked it here.

Another thing, why is half the stuff XP gated? I cannot even pick engineer till level 5? Don't remember that from PC version, happy to be corrected though. Then again, as no one has any idea what to do and it is so hard to find a decent squad it probably doesn't matter.

It's only just started, give folk a chance to unlock stuff.

I'll be honest, I don't know enough ps4 owners in my timezone to worry about playing with folk I know, but the squad stuff looks OK with randoms. Strength in numbers, I guess. Simply following the gold star (squad leader) and green dots on the map works out most of the time.

I definitely had that same UI bug on beta though, expected a bit more polish given how long it's been in development.

As an aside, I've noticed most people have bought guns with damage modifiers. I need to get on that, I'm losing most 1 v 1 encounters where I don't get the jump on them, with the default gun. I seem to have accrued 300 ish gold coins from simply playing.

You'll be thrown into a random squad when you spawn. There's canned audio prompts available from holding R1 (medic, sorry!, etc.) and then voice comms that appears to be proximity based, but possibly other stuff. I turned voice off, was tired of someone sneezing all the time.

It's only just started, give folk a chance to unlock stuff.

I'll be honest, I don't know enough ps4 owners in my timezone to worry about playing with folk I know, but the squad stuff looks OK with randoms. Strength in numbers, I guess. Simply following the gold star (squad leader) and green dots on the map works out most of the time.

I definitely had that same UI bug on beta though, expected a bit more polish given how long it's been in development.

As an aside, I've noticed most people have bought guns with damage modifiers. I need to get on that, I'm losing most 1 v 1 encounters where I don't get the jump on them, with the default gun. I seem to have accrued 300 ish gold coins from simply playing.

Even without modifiers, if you don't get the jump on someone you'll invariably die. The game punishes run and gun tactics massively.

So, all the different coins then. That took some figuring out.

BC - stands for Battle Cash. This is money that you either buy directly through the store or get 500 of each month as a premium member. It buys you predominantly aesthetic stuff (armour) that doesn't modify much at all but I think it also doubles as currency you can spend on items that can be bought with Certification Points. This is shared across all the characters you have.

CP - Certification Points. As a non-premium member you earn 12 of these per day that you are offline (premium get 24 or 48 I think). but, you also earn 1 per 120XP earned through kills, captures and other things in game. So, XP nets you cash. A fairly standard kill will get you 120XP and earn you a credit, with modifiers on top of it stacking up if its an avenge kill. Destroying vehicles is worth lots more. CP is specific to the character.

Nanites - i can't remember the official thing for them. Basically these are what you spawn vehicles with, and are effectively resources. You regain these at 50 per minute passively, up to a maximum of 750. So, spawn that tank you want and stay alive for 7 minutes and you're back where you were. These are character specific too.

There's another one in there that I haven't figure out yet.

I also sussed out the biggest in game secret yesterday. To throw a grenade you press L1 and R1 at the same time. Very few people know this.

In terms of what to do, I like the starting continent. It is overwhelming, but imagine how overwhelming it would be if you had everything. The worst crime it commits is not giving you clear things to do.

You'll have to do one of two things: ATTACK or DEFEND. I've got some stuff to do, but I'll try to write up some of it in a bit.

I think the class unlocks at certain battle ranks are part of the "new player experience".

On the PC, and I presume PS4, guns/cosmetics bought with Battle Cash should be available across all characters on that account as Pelekophoros says. Empire specific guns/cosmetics will only be available on a character of the same empire (TR/VS/NC), its the generic nanite system stuff that you can buy for one empire and have it on another.

Upgrading how many medkits you can carry will upgrade for all classes (you only have to upgrade once) but you have to upgrade nanoweave/flak armour etc on every class. Nanoweave 5 costs 1000 certs so to upgrade each class will cost 5000 certs.

The resource system is currently "broken", they started a revamp last year an then stopped at it current state. As Pelekophoros points out you only have to saty alive for a matter of minutes before you're fully resourced again. This has lead to spam of certain force multipliers ie MAX's. They've just recently introduced the Archer, basically an anti-max gun used by engineers and modified vehicle mines to explode like personel mines when MAX's walk near them.

As always this is how its on PC, I assume all the changes have made it to the PS4.

Edited by martingee

I believe there's supposed to be parity, yeah. It's a weird one for sure.

Anyway, THE NEWBIE GUIDE TO ATTACKING, as written by me, a newbie, so it'll be full of inaccuracies.

When you jump into the game it'll give you an objective on the left of the HUD saying ATTACK THIS PLACE or sometimes DEFEND THIS PLACE. It always has a little arrow marker on it pointing in the direction and a distance indicator.

The starter island is artificially condensed together, so there is ALWAYS WAR. This is ok, because it's what the game is about. Now, you may think you want to be sneaky and go off and attack another installation but tough, you can't. Well, you can't if it's not connected by one you already own. Check out the map (press the touchpad) to see what you own. If there is another installation that is connected you can attack that on your own and ignore the orders. It's not a problem, as long as that facility does not have a padlock on its icon it's fair game - but there may be other people already attacking it, or defending it.

I think that when you get to the main meat of the game, you can actually be entirely driven off of a continent, and your only option is to spawn a sunderer and warp there to create a remote outpost to attack from. That doesn't happen on the starter continent. You always have a base there.

So, you make your way over to the base either on foot or by spawning a vehicle (you can spawn the near uncontrollable Flash from the off, I believe) and driving there. As soon as you arrive, you'll die.

If you're lucky, you'll respawn at a Sunderer which is local to the area if it's a) there or b) not been destroyed by the enemy. You can spawn there when it's under attack, so this can go horribly wrong. You press X to spawn at an automatically chosen location. If you don't want to spawn there, press Triangle, and you can choose from those on the whole continent.

Anyway, now you respawn at the installation. You need to capture points A, B and C and then hold them for a period of time (which counts down). on the left of the HUD it shows the status of these and the timer. If you hold them for the entire time, YOU WIN, conquer the installation and can then clear out the remaining enemy and roll on to the next base.

Sometimes A, B and C are actually like, shield generators or something. It doesn't matter really, you just need to capture them and maybe destroy them or something. I'm not entirely sure.

For the duration of the attack the enemy will come from a main spawn location or their sunderer. DESTROY THEIR SUNDERERS, ENCIRCLE THEIR MAIN SPAWN, HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN. Or something. Basically you need to lock them the hell down and hold those points, soldier.

I think that's about it for attacking. It's pretty similar for Defending too, to be honest. If you lose the locations and the timer kicks off, you need to capture and hold them all back for the duration or near to it, i think, to hold it.

If you lose/win an installation, it changes colour and gets a new flag and you can then spawn there.

The NEWBIE GUIDE TO SOLDIER CLASSES by a newbie, so still full of inaccuracies

Infiltrator - wears a gimp suit, carries a sniper rifle, can go invisible for short periods of time, can hack enemy terminals to they can be used by friendlies (handy for attacking installations). Dies quickly.

Light Assault - can fly, has some armour but not loads, uses like SMGs or something. useful for hopping up enemy buildings and surprising people

Engineer - reasonable armour, standard issue guns, can repair vehicles, terminals and turrets. Also gives out ammo.

Medic - as per engineer but repairs PEOPLE instead of THINGS

Heavy Assault - Has a heavy machine gun and a ROCKET LAUNCHER. Basically designed for blowing up enemy vehicles and turrets. NOTE: it takes more than every rocket you can carry to destroy a sunderer or turret, so generally make sure your own sunderer is nearby so you can redeploy with full ammo or have a engineer nearby. Or that you die quickly. The latter is most likely.

MAX - basically exo-armour that comes in anti-air, vehicle and infantry varieties.

You can refill your ammo by going to an equipment terminal, selecting the same class and then redeploying should you need to. I;ve also seen these MASSIVE AMMO TOWERS everywhere but have no idea how they work so that's annoying. Maybe you just stand by them? Dunno.

[disclaimer: I've only got PC experience, but I assume this is still broadly applicable...]

Just to clear up a few things there:

Entire continents get locked as part of the Alert system - periodically an Alert will start on an open continent, for 2 hours. During that time, XP is boosted for players on that continent. At the end of the time, percentage ownership is used to select a faction winner, the continent is locked, and a previously locked continent is unlocked (and the warp gates, the faction bases which can never change ownership, are rotated). The winning faction gets a continent-specific bonus (decreased resource cost for vehicles/MAX suits/consumables) while it's locked.

All land vehicles except Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) can be spawned at any land vehicle terminal (if you have the resources). MBTs can be spawned at larger bases (there's a tank icon on the map, and the console looks a bit different), as long as you have a Tech Plant connected to your Warp Gate. Aircraft can be spawned at larger bases/towers with aircraft pads.

One way to spawn somewhere interesting is just to "Redeploy", which usually gives you a few "Reinforcements needed" locations as well as the ones near you.

Shield generators are different from capture points. Capture points contribute to the battle for the base itself, shield generators directly power either anti-vehicle shields round the edges or anti-everything shields elsewhere, so taking them down can indirectly help the battle. Anyone can "destabilise" them or stabilise them, Engineers can rebuild them if they've actually blown up.

Those massive ammo towers are for ground vehicle ammo. Aircraft have to land on similarly-logoed pads (at the same bases where you can spawn aircraft). Sunderers and Galaxies can have loadout options which resupply or repair nearby vehicles.

Infiltrators do have access to the Stalker cloak which will turn you invisible completely (bugs permitting! :) ).

The caveat is that you can move but are cloaked normally, so can be seen (think Predator) but stopping will recharge your cloak and turn you completely invisible. The more certs you put into it the more time you have to move and the quicker it recharges.

Once in this deep cloak the enemy will only detect you if the have Dark Lights which are an attachment, usually instead of a laser sight/forward grip.

I've unlocked the Dark Light for my pistol, this means all my character classes have access to the light and the light is on my secondary weapon meaning my primary is not gimped by not having a forward grip etc. The Dark Light is situational as it can be more of a hindrance than helpful since it doesn't help you see at night and will give your position away.

The other caveat is that you can't equip a primary weapon and you're left with a pistol, knife and utility slot. (for the cloak that is)