Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

Asura

• 4 weeks later...

Both me and a mate registered on sunday and got a code in an email today. Played half an hour until the server got switched off.

Pissed about at the base getting my bearings then kept deploying with the rest of the team to an APC stuck under a Red team-controlled outpost.

We all died loads but I got a few kills, started spotting enemies BF-style and earnt a couple credits to buy a gun and a scope. Its a bit janky but I can see the appeal.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd missed out on this, but just noticed there was an invite buried in all my email junk. Might well give this a go, especially as I have just finished my first Bloodborne playthrough and need a break for a couple of days.

Well, I fired this up at about 8pm (thanks, flight!) just to login and pull down any patches through the game itself (there are none, it's all updated through the store). Before I knew it, it was 11pm.

With the caveat that I don't know what this looks like on good PC hardware, as I've only played it previously on an older work laptop, I'd say it looks exactly how I expected it to. It can look really rather sparse in places, and yet there's good foliage and stuff elsewhere. One of the important bits, I'd say, is the cast iron framerate, which honestly wasn't something I was expecting, and was appreciate of. Play for long enough and you'll go through a day/night cycle which actually has some impressive lighting, too. But yeah, overall it's quite stylistic, so I can see why some won't like it.

To really experience the game though, you need to be involved with massive battles, which is why the PS4 being able to belt out this graphics engine is important. I was playing quite late for UK server times, so was only really involved with about a dozen or so people raiding a base, with perhaps a dozen defenders and maybe half a dozen from the 3rd faction farting around. The controls are way too sensitive for me by default, not sure what they're going for there. Eventually found my groove and settled on the heavy class, as tank busting is all kinds of fun.

There's bugs a plenty still, particularly around the UI. Nothing game breaking if you're looking for a quick blast, though. And I think, for me, that's exactly what this game is for. I can dip into it, not be too gimped by the fact that I won't play solidly and thus won't have a heavily leveled character, and dive straight into some major battle which actually has consequences for the lay of the land. Without having read much about it prior to launch, that's actually what I was expecting of Destiny, not WoW raiding with guns, which is what it actually turned out to be (my fault for getting caught up in the hype and not reading what it was about).

Anyway, yeah, it looks a bit last gen, but the sheer scale of battles you'll get involved in is quite extraordinary. Can't wait for this to launch properly.

Had a lot of fun last night with this. I find that the Instant Action button works well and we had a lot of action trying to take one of the bases.

Are there any good beginners guides around though? I couldn't figure out the spawn beacons and found health and shields didn't seem to be replenishing.

Functionality-wise I found the controls to be fine, but had issues looking at the mini-map for enemies (so lots of friendly fire) and generally text is just too small pretty much everywhere on the UI.

Still, good fun.

Agreed, TV in the bedroom is 720p so most of the UI isn't legible. Unfortunately, instant action wasn't working for me the other night, but yeah, great way to just dive in.

Forgot to mention, the controls for vehicles are really daft. Pushing left stick up to apply throttle, combined with the really sensitive steering, meant I was all over the shop on the little ATV buggy. That's nothing compared to the small (one man) plane, whose controls are horrendous. Assuming you can remap it, I'd want the GTA V helicopter controls.

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded this on PC yesterday. Player it a couple of years ago but just found it confusing and bland. But this time I watched a tutorial video while installing which turned out to be a great idea. Bloody good game, have had loads of fun and some truly epic battles attacking and defending various bases.

Really surprised and impressed by the game.

• 1 month later...

Tried a bit of PS2 on PS4, not overly impressed. Very twitchy controls, which the PC also has, but it is way harder to control with a controller.

The graphics also seem a lot muddier even running at 1080p. But that might just be due to the look of the starter area.

Gona give it a try at release, playing a bit on PC and it is a really good game.