Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

Asura

So do we have an RLLMUK server in mind yet then? Not that I can actually see the names of the servers, mind. I'll probably be forming my own little outfit with real world friends, but I'd love to rampage all over the place with you guys too. Miller, because Polmon is already there?

Despite the UI being a complete mess at the moment, it seems far, far better optimized than the Beta was.

I had to try a couple of times to get it to work. I also had a lot of fun trying to uninstall the Beta client - I found that as soon as I removed it from Steam, it uninstalled OK (I say OK, it has disappeared from the Programs and Features thing, but ALL the files are still there in the Planetside 2 folder).

Anyways, I just had a little 45 minute session.

EPIC. There are shitloads of people playing, and things are bloody crazy on Amerish on the Miller server. I love it.

Just singlehandedly stopped an assault in my tank. Blew up their sundy and about 10 or so enemy troopers spawning there and furiously trying to repair it. Killed them all with 5 plasma shells left.

Finally saved up 50 certs so now i have a shiny new S-AMS for my Sunderer!

Anyone else playing VS on Miller?

This is really awesome, we just did a massive assault on one of the small-ish bases (it had only 2 or 3 nodes) but it took ages, our team wasn't coordinated and it was really scrappy for about 30 or 40 minutes then some bright spark moved those mobile spawn points in close and we managed to turn the tide. The moment where we all piled into the main building was very cool.

Just so people know, I have a character in the NC on Miller server, name is Asura for a change! Thank god they did that name reservation scheme. I'm going to be in the Genesis Gaming outfit (assuming they do go through with making one).

Started playing last night. What a bloody ace game. Of course I have no sodding clue what I'm doing or how to find a battle. Died a lot. Managed to panic team kill a few times. I had some spare moon bucks from the last time I played god knows what so I unlocked a weapon but it doesn't show up as available in my loadout.

Any tips for a brand new player?

According to steam I've played about 8 hours since I started. I'm getting better and jesus wept there's some big fights in this and some epic moments. Since I don't get huge amounts of kills I'm playing an engineer at the moment. It's very satisfying when we're holding a facility to keep the ammo and repairs coming.

It felt ace when I was descending towards a jump pad and shotgunned a guy in the face before I landed and then turned and nailed a second guy in the back. Shame the third guy on the platform hit me. Before work this morning I was just noodling around and capped a couple of small points where nobody was. Then half a dozen tanks and a couple of sunderers rolled up and stopped that little game :)

Some great fights in this. Bunch of us trying to hold a building. Surrounded on all sides. I'm dropping ammo and healing MAX units. Occasionally popping at someone with my shotgun. I dunno how that fight ended but it was enormous fun. Also see assaulting the top of a hill at night with tracer fire, rockets, explosions all going off.

This game provides sights that you really can't see in any other game. When you have a column of 20 assorted tanks and quads rolling towards a base while 10 or 15 fighters zoom overhead dogfighting and firing off salvoes of rockets and a few Liberators bombard the enemy it is properly breathtaking.

I had a night playing this and i can see the potential but its yet to click for me, not that i was expecting it to straight off the bat. My main concern is how much time i'll have to put in to unlock stuff. I realise thats the point, pay or don't, (heh, i even work for at a company making a free-to-play game with this business model) but as a consumer i'm slight put off.

The squad aspect seems great for playing with friends and getting about but ultimately is pretty much a zergfest as far as i can see, a general consensus of an objective and everyone piling in. If you stray outside of the zerg your're pretty much a dead man.

I also occassionally would get long respawn timers, one of them was 13 mins, was this because i'd died several times in quick succession?

It didn't help that it kept crashing for me (right after the 13min wait aswell) but i suspect thats my computer and i'll have to tweak some of the graphic settings.

A perfectly normal opinion of the game after starting! All valid concerns though I have to disagree with the zerg comment, with proper teamwork a pair of squads can easily hold off or smash through a zerg twice or three times their number. I've been part of such antizerg parties and its super satisfying.

Oh and as for the respawn timers iirc the long times are on squad beacons, to stop people using them to zerg. You should never get a respawn delay that large on a regular spawn point.

Not sure on the spawn point thing, i definately couldn't reaspwn at all for the 13 mins but its possible i was in a squad. Had i have left, i may have been able to respawn but that sounds a bit counter intuitive.

With regards the zerg i was really meaning if you or a couple of guys stray away from the zerg you're pretty much dead, there's little to no solo play. Tho i know this is the whole point. And i'm sure once the masses of noobs (myself included :P) get some time put into it and get the flow of it i'm sure it'll take on a different dimension.