Dillon's Rolling Western / The Last Ranger/ Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers (3DSWare)

SQ_3DSDS_DillonsRollingWestern.jpg

Surprised there isn't a thread for this game yet. On the other hand, Nintendo hasn't released much info about it, and a cynic might argue that the protagonist looks like a discarded sidekick from a Sonic game.

Basically, The Rolling Western is what seems to be Nintendo's take on the tower defence genre, being a more action based approach, and starring a cowboy armadillo called Dillon (formerly: Jiro).

The Rolling Western is being developed by Vanpool - the Nintendo subsidiary responsible for the cult Zelda games Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland and Colour Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (...).

The game's supposed to be a 3DS download-only title, and surely looks interesting enough, featuring a lovely artstyle.

No release date mentioned other than 'tba'.

Official E3 2011 trailer:

Provisional site can be found here.

A new IP from Nintendo? Wonders never cease.

Looks interesting, though. The rolling around kinda reminds me of the Goron mask in Majora.

It all reminds me of Link to be honest...sounds like they even took the sound effects straight from OoT. A new IP is pushing it a bit I'd say!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First impressions over on ign.com aren't too positive...

Dillon's Rolling Western was by far one of the worst eShop demos we've had a chance to test recently. The concept – a more in-depth version of tower defense – seems reasonable enough, but the execution is all over the place.

Dillon's Rolling Western attempts to achieve a streamlined tower defense experience by creating distinct segments for resource gathering, resource selling and then defending your town. The problem with all of this is the game controls poorly and lacks any sort of visual finesse. Levels are vast, plain and completely ordinary, while getting your armadillo hero to move is a chore. Movement and combat is driven through the touch pad by "pulling back" with the stylus and releasing, but in practice this only works so well. Trying to tap or hold to attack once you're moving doesn't work very well, making every activity you do an exercise in patience.

If there is a workable game in Rolling Western, I'm not seeing it. Tower defense is a well-trodden territory that rarely demonstrates innovation these days – there are simply too many versions of the same thing. Sadly, Dillon does not only walk over that familiar territory without doing anything too novel, he also does it poorly. A real shame.

A real shame indeed. I was looking forward to more Nintendo developed eShop goodness :(

• 1 month later...

Dillon's Rolling Western rolls (!) into the eShop next Thursday. As you can gather from the post above though, it's defenitely not as good as Nintendo's other two 3DS eShop exclusives. In fact it's supposed to be pretty lacklustre. I wish we'd have gotten Sakura Samurai instead, but I shall reserve further judgement till I get to play the full game next week.

Contary to what we were used to with Pullblox and Freakyforms, Dillon's Rolling Western will sell for £ 9.00 or € 10.00.

Apart from DeKay's enthusiasm (and IGN's) in the 3DS thread, it's getting mediocre to bad scores thus far (http://www.metacriti...rolling-western).

Not entirely unexpected, but I was looking forward to a new Nintendo-developed 3DSWare game. Release Sakura Samurai please NoE!

I didn't say it was fantastic, but it's not bad. Certainly fun and I'm enjoying it, and although it's more expensive and not as good as Zen Pinball or Pullblox, I'd say it's still well worth £9.

I didn't say it was fantastic, but it's not bad. Certainly fun and I'm enjoying it, and although it's more expensive and not as good as Zen Pinball or Pullblox, I'd say it's still well worth £9.

I heartily agree. It feels like halfway between a full price and budget release, which as luck would have it, is what it is! Enjoying it so far

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I hope he sticks around as a character enough to make the cut for Smash Bros though.

A lot of people seem to like the character.

I hope the sequel is a much more varied game than the first one. Even though I didn't play it, it's what everyone seems to dislike about it. The figurative grind of it all.

• 2 weeks later...