CEX: No retro anymore?

vanronk

Has anyone got any pics of their dedicated retro store when it was up by Goodge Street station? That place was awesome!

That place was great when it first opened up - had tons of Japanese curios back at the beginning. Plus they bought my knackered NES disk system for a fair bit of cash, which I was rather thankful for at the time.

I remember the dude who ran it, Ash, to be quite an amusing fellow due to his highly opinionated chat and his intense hatred of Edge. I also remember thinking him odd for never having played any Zelda game through to completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to the shepards bush cex - in the old shopping center opposite westfields. It has a window of retro games, mainly ps1 and loose megadrive games. Managed to pick up:

Die hard arcade ps1 £1

Chiki Chiki boys md

Wardner md

Super fantasy zone md

At the end of the month at the London mcm EXPO there is usually a retro stand or two with a good selection

Yep I meant trilogy, arcade is great! Found a arcade in trocadero before it closed had a sequiel to dynamyte cops on the dreamcast! Same engine, played the same but set in Hong Kong - think it was Hong Kong Crisis or somthing :P prefered arcade as the 4 way attack in dynamite cops let the CPU give you cheap hits

• 5 months later...

Sad news, there just isn't a market for imports/retro anymore like there was 10yrs ago to sustain a store. Athough over the last few years it became a bit rubbish as the retro was reduced and DVD's took their place. It was always a store i'd visit back when i used to go to CEX's retro basement, i think i bought a copy of Last Blade on the neogeo from those guys back in the day too. Another slice of my teenage gaming memories consigned to history :(

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...
On 28/09/2011 at 08:12, isogashii said:

That place was great when it first opened up - had tons of Japanese curios back at the beginning. Plus they bought my knackered NES disk system for a fair bit of cash, which I was rather thankful for at the time.

I remember the dude who ran it, Ash, to be quite an amusing fellow due to his highly opinionated chat and his intense hatred of Edge. I also remember thinking him odd for never having played any Zelda game through to completion.

On 28/09/2011 at 08:19, super_quincy said:

I remember Ash, he really really loved Strider. He also had a thing for scientific calculators too

Sorry to drag up the corpse of this thread but I'm trying to get in touch with Ash, if at all possible. I visited the CEX retro store (must have been very late '90s, if not 2000?) and picked up a Sega Nomad and a bunch of Japanese games. I visited another time around that period and traded in some Japanese Saturn stuff. I recall Ash mentioning that Hideo Kojima had been in the week previously and signed the store's copy of Metal Gear on the NES - it did indeed have a signature on it, so I assume he wasn't bullshitting! I also vividly recall him showing me a box of faulty Neo Geo CD consoles he had under the counter, for some reason.

Would be amazing to find out if he's active online and get him to speak about this stuff, as the store was really incredible.

I used to go to the CEX retro shop quite a bit as well. Seem to recall it being on Whitfield Street. I also purchased a Nomad from there, was always amazed at everything they had although it was all locked inside glass cabinets.  I remember the older chap who worked in that store too. When CEX closed that store and moved it into the basement of Rathbone place I'm sure that all three of the staff left to open up their own retro store somewhere near Shepherds Bush. I don't think that lasted too long.

Edit - twitter name removed

The glass cabinets in the basement, with all those 8 bit cassettes and Atari carts.... then there were the TV's above the counter showing the latest imports.

Had a Saturn modded by them back in the day and was always in there looking at what goodies I couldn't afford.

Used to love a shop in Notting Hill Gate too, Computer and Video Exchange i think?  Several floors, with the big box 16bit and PC games right at the top (musical instruments and all kinds of other stuff on the other floors.). Remember seeing an imported NTSC N64 playing Mario 64 on it.

Good old days.

17 hours ago, Duddyroar said:

Sorry to drag up the corpse of this thread but I'm trying to get in touch with Ash, if at all possible. I visited the CEX retro store (must have been very late '90s, if not 2000?) and picked up a Sega Nomad and a bunch of Japanese games. I visited another time around that period and traded in some Japanese Saturn stuff. I recall Ash mentioning that Hideo Kojima had been in the week previously and signed the store's copy of Metal Gear on the NES - it did indeed have a signature on it, so I assume he wasn't bullshitting! I also vividly recall him showing me a box of faulty Neo Geo CD consoles he had under the counter, for some reason.

Would be amazing to find out if he's active online and get him to speak about this stuff, as the store was really incredible.

I knew Ash - I used to work at Rathbone Place CEX in the mid-late 90s and occasionally helped out at Whitfield Street. Kojima also popped into the Rathbone Place and signed a few copies of PS1 Metal Gear Solid.

I have a few friends on facebook that may still be in touch with him, so I could ask around. He was on there at some point, but has since disappeared. If you want to go full-on stalker mode in the meantime - his surname is Parkin.

Also - you've just reminded me that I loaned Ash my new Neo Geo AES copy of KoF '97, which he gave back to me a week or so later with a water damaged cover. I was not best pleased!

Can we not be posting publically trackable info please on a very public forum? Surnames etc. Not on, if he's disappeared then he probably doesn't want a bunch of forumites turning up at random.

19 hours ago, SimonG said:

.Used to love a shop in Notting Hill Gate too, Computer and Video Exchange i think?  Several floors, with the big box 16bit and PC games right at the top (musical instruments and all kinds of other stuff on the other floors.). Remember seeing an imported NTSC N64 playing Mario 64 on it.

Good old days.

I worked there one weekend. Had to kick out two guys trying to arrange a private sale of an Atari Jaguar, after I explained it wasn’t in the book, so couldn’t offer anything for it.

27 minutes ago, JamesC said:

You kicked them out?😆

If someone kicked me out of their shop for trying to buy an item they'd already refused I'd be well pissed off!

It was an Atari Jaguar... was trying to save someone's missery 😛

i used to wander into Rathbone CEX nearly every lunch time when i worked round the corner in around 2000 ish.  Used to chat to an American sounding chap, cool guy iirc.  Used to love the Retro stuff downstairs like, I remember gazing at the SuperGrafx playing Ghouls n Ghosts that they had set up in the glass cabinets.  I remember thinking their selection of PC Engine games was pretty reasonably priced.  True story.  

Also, @Lyrical Donut, as IF that was water damage....

13 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I knew Ash - I used to work at Rathbone Place CEX in the mid-late 90s and occasionally helped out at Whitfield Street. Kojima also popped into the Rathbone Place and signed a few copies of PS1 Metal Gear Solid.

I have a few friends on facebook that may still be in touch with him, so I could ask around. He was on there at some point, but has since disappeared. If you want to go full-on stalker mode in the meantime - his surname is Parkin.

Also - you've just reminded me that I loaned Ash my new Neo Geo AES copy of KoF '97, which he gave back to me a week or so later with a water damaged cover. I was not best pleased!

You used to work at Rathbone Place during the golden era, then! Incredible. What a time that was for CEX... I got all of my imports from the Brum branch but would often pop down to London to visit the Rathbone Place store as it had a much better selection of stock. I must have spent thousands in CEX around that time (well, I say 'spent' but I usually traded stuff in for new stuff as I was a poor teenager!)

I remember EDGE featured the store in one of its Retro specials (see below)

FTx2r_1WYAYhFUh.jpeg

4 hours ago, Duddyroar said:

You used to work at Rathbone Place during the golden era, then! Incredible. What a time that was for CEX... I got all of my imports from the Brum branch but would often pop down to London to visit the Rathbone Place store as it had a much better selection of stock. I must have spent thousands in CEX around that time (well, I say 'spent' but I usually traded stuff in for new stuff as I was a poor teenager!)

I remember EDGE featured the store in one of its Retro specials (see below)

FTx2r_1WYAYhFUh.jpeg

Yeah, it was a good time. Getting first dibs on import stuff coming in from customers was great. Not so great for my wallet, mind.

I'd left by the time retro was in the basement, it used to be the mail order department. 

8 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Can we not be posting publically trackable info please on a very public forum? Surnames etc. Not on, if he's disappeared then he probably doesn't want a bunch of forumites turning up at random.

How about a very public blog? 

image.thumb.png.85cc5e146f0a3df3dc1191080d8ec6cc.png

Where would people be turning up, exactly? He left the company decades ago. I imagine he'd be up for chatting about the good old days.

6 hours ago, geldra said:

Also, @Lyrical Donut, as IF that was water damage....

😭

Damn, Dreamcast games lost their value quickly. I vaguely remember the bargain bin clearances probably around 2002-3 when they couldn't shift games new for £4.99 each.

On 16/06/2022 at 07:44, Down by Law said:

Found an old CEX receipt in one of my Dreamcast games...that Birmingham store was amazing back in the day. 

IMG_20220616_074224.jpg

i have a stack of old CEX receipts from the Brum store (and some from the Rathbone Place store) which I still leaf through today. A lot of them have faded so much I can barely make them out! Always nice to look back on what I spent my cash on then, though :)