IGNORED

CEX: No retro anymore?

vanronk

There hasn't been any retro in any CeX stores round my way (unless you count GBA games) for a long time.

I've actually been in three CEX stores looking for GBA stuff this month. None of them had any.

Loads of phones though!

:rolleyes: I was refering to when it first opened the retro store in 1998 (no mobiles), it didn't last long before it was shunted into the basement of Rathbone Place. The last time I visited it was in 2001 and by then the fail was complete

Duh! in 1998 it wasn't retro, lol!

Retro never makes money. Because everyone trading in gets mad if their copy of Sonic 1 isn't worth £10 trade in and the same people get mad if they dare sell any retro game for more than £2.99.

So CEX, Gamestation et al stopped doing it.

So where can a brother get his retro at?

cashconvertors?

[edit]

ooh ooh ooh! there's a BHF electrical and furniture shop in Bromley (where the Allied Carpets used to be, next door to where Allders used to be, opposite where The Bell used to be).

I might have to have a look in there for some consoley action type stuff.

Edited by SeanR

Has anyone got any pics of their dedicated retro store when it was up by Goodge Street station? That place was awesome!

Bought an NES with Super Mario Bros 1,2,3; Castlevania 1,2; Gauntlet 1,2; Probotector/Contra amongst others from there. Great place before it moved as mentioned above.

Games Focus on Goodge Street used to have a decent retro section in the basement. No idea if they still do.

CEX should set up a music label.

Yeah, there's still some retro stuff downstairs. Weirdly, a load of PC Engine stuff arrived a couple of months ago, but it's all quite heavily overpriced.

For the record, there's PS1, Saturn Jap, Dreamcast, Dreamcast Jap, PCE, PS2 UK JAP US, GC UK US JAP and Xbox there. GBA stuff in the cabinet on the counter (mostly loose carts), sitting with an unboxed AES for £299 and the usual wad of PSP promos. The dude running it these days also has a small selection of NES/SNES/MD stuff from various regions, but you have to ask to see most of it.

• 3 weeks later...
So where can a brother get his retro at?

There's a wicked thread in Trading where I'll be posting all of mine over the next couple of weeks, once I dig it out of the loft.

If anybody's got any particular requests before I get around to listing the other formats up, PM away and I'll see what I can find.

The Goodge Street CEX did indeed used to be filled with PC engine stuff and other imports, it was all a bit pricey though.

Do the Music and Video Exchange shops still exist in London ?

There was one in Nottinghill Gate, and Fulham Broadway (or there abouts), they also had a comic shop and gave you Monopoly style money for your trade ins, that you could use in any of their shops.

Do the Music and Video Exchange shops still exist in London ?

There was one in Nottinghill Gate, and Fulham Broadway (or there abouts), they also had a comic shop and gave you Monopoly style money for your trade ins, that you could use in any of their shops.

There used to be two at Notting Hill IIRC. I bought an Atari 2600 Jr at one many many years ago which was was basically the start of my retro collecting habit. There is one at Notting Hill now. It's tiny, sells mostly DVDs and a few dozen games. Not really worth visiting.

Just saw a new one pop up out the window in heavy traffic yesterday:

I think its:

gametrading

It is new as ive not seen it before and not on google maps streetview... Its in Acton town london in front of the morrisons main entrance right next to a pub.

Just google map W3 9BY is and its outside the main entrance of the morrisons, there's a flower shop on google maps in its place. Ive not been inside but hope they do retro :)

• 2 months later...

Just saw a new one pop up out the window in heavy traffic yesterday:

I think its:

gametrading

It is new as ive not seen it before and not on google maps streetview... Its in Acton town london in front of the morrisons main entrance right next to a pub.

Just google map W3 9BY is and its outside the main entrance of the morrisons, there's a flower shop on google maps in its place. Ive not been inside but hope they do retro :)

Did you get a chance to check this place out?