Your Gameboy Advance Memories

toythatkills

Hello, best handheld game ever!

I see your Ninja Cop and raise you...

Its still not been topped on any platform in its genre.

Other GBA memories include playing Fire Emblem Sacred Stones for about 14 hours straight, finally getting into Mario Kart with what is for me still the best in the series by a long way, importing Wario Ware Twisted and playing it to death (made Touched seem tame), I also remember being amazed by Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper.

Its an amazing system...not sure I'd quite go along with it being the best handheld gaming console ever though, that honour pretty much has to be passed on to the DS, even though there were (and still are) games that the never got bettered on DS, the sheer amount and variety of titles on DS secures its place in history...although I probably would have said the same about GBA before the DS got launched (and even the first year of DS wasn't great if I remember rightly).

Anyway, GBA, great system and great games.

I remember my mate getting one from Virgin Megastores in Nottingham, then us sitting on the bus back to his at the front upstairs taking it in turns to play F-Zero, thats got to be the best place to play the original design, pity I suffer from motion sickness though!

I didn't get mine until about 2002, by then I'd left Nottingham. I bought Super Mario World for it and absolutely loved it. Eventually I managed to find a copy of Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars, not the best game ever, but I played through that game one summer and actually really it despite it having very little in common with the rest of the ZoE games.

I never got on with the SP, for the same reason I don't get on with the DS Lite, its corners were a little too defined for me to play over an extended period of time, so I was stuck with sitting at funny angles and relying on batteries, hoping they wouldn't die during the very long sections of "plot development" on ZoE.

Fucking skinny jeans being in fashion. When I had combats I used to keep my PANASONIC CD MUSIC SYSTEM in the gigantic ass pocket and listen to ALIEN ANT FARM and STAIND but if my NUMETAL THROWDOWNS got TOO XTREME the CD would skip.

I had that wallet on a chain thing going on but instead of a wallet it was my Game Boy Advance in the padded zip case, chilling at the bowling alley with a bottle of supermarket whiskey hidden in the front pocket of my giant Mudvayne hoody, for topping up our Pepsi Max cups. We used to go rampant at the Metro Centre.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was my first game for it. A whole, proper adventure game in my pocket. It was incredible. And from there on out it was one wonderful gem of a release after another.

Bought that secondhand a fortnight ago for a bit of nostalgia. :D I worked my way through CotM back in them olden times, battling against the gloomy murkiness of, no not Dracula's castle, the GBA screen. But! Pocket-sized Metroidvania! The dark screen barely mattered!

No system's releases have had as much personality, not even the GameCube's.

The GBA was a Super NES revival. Not just because of the Super NES conversions, but the 'feel' of the original titles. Loads of the best titles you could imagine having existed on the Super NES if that had still been kicking about. Well, a souped-up Super NES. With a crappier sound chip.

Oh. My. It's twigged. The GBA was the most recent Nintendo machine to have been sprinkled upon by Super NES fairy-dust. That is a most depressing notion to contemplate. :(

I took my new GBA and Advance Wars on a work trip to Dublin and then Waterford in Ireland in 2002. Not sure if it's still the case, but the train turned round halfway during the journey south, so that you arrive facing the opposite way to the direction you started. I looked up from the GBA once on that two and a half hour journey when my mate pointed that out.

Finally nailed the last level (which I'm sure was an attritional battle lasting several hours against that comet throwing knobhead) in a hotel room in Waterford.

I bought my 10 year old nephew a GBA Micro Famicom edition and gave him my old copy of Advance Wars last month. He sent me a text a few days later saying 'Advance Wars is awesome!'. It's the console that keeps on giving :)

I remember being fairly indifferent to the GBA to start with until more and more quality titles kept appearing. What finally swung it for me was seeing some screenshots of Golden Sun in one of the various Nintendo mags back in the day.

From that point on, I decided I had to have one. Then the SP was announced so I began saving even more in ernest. It even went so far as me buying Golden Sun a couple of weeks before the SP was released just so I had a copy of it in my hands for when it finally came out.

It tided me well over into uni when I used to have to wait an hour for the next available bus back home. Come rain or shine I'd be standing in the bus shelter playing classics like FF:TA or HArvest Moon and just loving it. :wub:

Fire Emblem games are great on the GBA. Perfect platform for them, as with Advance Wars.

Games were just poured into that system. Dozens of titles that felt like the console had been made just for them, but not in a "this is a handheld game" sort of a way. The standard of software, the depth and imagination on display, shamed most of the concurrent console releases.

Fire Emblem games are great on the GBA. Perfect platform for them, as with Advance Wars.

Fire Emblem on GBA was the first time I'd played an RPG that had perma-death when you died in battle. OCD ruined my experience of that game. If anyone died, I'd have to restart the battle.

Predictably, I never finished it.

Pussies, I installed my own. Prior to that I could only play in the toilet in work, excellent fluorescent lighting the in the stalls.

I was 16 and I had a D-grade GCSE in Electronics. I was not to be trusted.

We had a power cut last month, 3DS battery was flat so played yoshi island on my GBA for the first time in years. Couldnt believe that it still held some charge after this time, played for about three hours and still works now without a charge.

FF Tactics Advance. Now that was a crazy game to have on a handheld. I spent more time thinking about what I was going to do with my crew between sessions than actually playing the game.

I love that game!

Hmm I may start playing it again tomorrow and see if I can actualy complete it.

I was 16 and I had a D-grade GCSE in Electronics. I was not to be trusted.

Oh, I totally fucked mine up :lol:

It will never die, the GF has my micro and is hooked on Advance Wars [thanks moonwhistle], she's training up for the inevitable trashing I'll dish out.

It's weird, I always intended to buy loads more games for the GBA but never quite got around to it. Same thing with the DS really.

I remember playing GT Advance a lot when the original model launched. Golden Sun and Mario & Luigi RPG were probably my most played games (never got FF:TA).

It did suffer from a load of frustratingly bad ports/'reimaginings' - Earthworm Jim and Revenge of Shinobi being notorious ones, Speedball 2 and Shining Force being frustratingly bad as well.

I think the only other games I still have for it are Gunstar Super Heroes, Japanese Mariokart and Santa Claus Jr. (don't ask...)

It's gonna be good when they offer GBA on the VC. this will surely happen.

The potential pricing slightly worries me, if Game Boy games are around a fiver, how much are they going to charge for the Advance Wars and Golden Sun games?