rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
toythatkills

Your Gameboy Advance Memories

Sending it away and getting an Afterburner light fitted for my birthday. Utterly mind blowing.

• Upvote 2

I bought a Japanese launch one from Gametron Exchange in Cambridge back when I didn't know better. I hate to think how much I overpaid but (1) I wasn't bothered while playing new F-Zero tracks under a lamp and (2) God bless the misuse of student loans.

My GBA Micro has had a Bubble Bobble cart in it since I first bought the thing in a sale. I really need to dig up the charger now

Sending it away and getting an Afterburner light fitted for my birthday. Utterly mind blowing.

I did that. Went from shittest handheld ever to a bloody joy.

True; the machine had an amazing range of games, but I always thought the screen on the original GBA was far too dark - to the point where I quickly sold mine, hoping Nintendo would see sense and do an official backlit version. Glad they eventually brought out the SP.

I bought a Japanese launch one from Gametron Exchange in Cambridge back when I didn't know better. I hate to think how much I overpaid but (1) I wasn't bothered while playing new F-Zero tracks under a lamp and (2) God bless the misuse of student loans.

Same experience as me, but replace Gametron Exchange with some robbing bastard computer shop in Liverpool!

As sad as it is, the idea of being able to play Super Mario World again (at the time) blew my mind. The GBA felt like having a high powered SNES in your pocket and despite not having enough buttons, it didn't matter. Can remember getting Metroid Fusion and for the first time feeling vulnerable in a Metroid game. Being introduced to Advance Wars by my friends and getting absolutely addicted. The hilarious dodgy games my dad brought back from the UAE - Super Mario Bros 3 starring Mario and Juan.

We all picked Juan.

4 player Mario Kart.

My GBA is being used by my little sister now but I'd love to get it back. I got it in 2002 and aside from a couple of scratches still works fine. Shame about the screen though.

• Upvote 1

My first memory of the Gameboy Advance comes from before its release, quite a bit before. As I was lucky enough to work on a game using a development board, which thanks to IGN, you can marvel at.

entiresystem.jpg

I remember us all crowding round the boxes as they arrived in the office, our minds lost in the wonder at what we might be able to create with the machine.

IIRC it shipped with this Yoshi Story tech demo as well as maybe a couple of other examples to show off things like sprite scaling/sorting and parallaxing.

While it was a technically limited device to work with, that didn't take anything away from the enjoyment of watching the coders try out their tricks on the device to make it sing beyond its theoretical limits.

Crawfish was one company that could really work marvels with the machine. Their version of Street Fighter was an incredible feat.

• Upvote 7

I play on my GB Micro more than my 3DS.

Mainly due to Advance Wars. I've got 3 micros at the minute a battered Green one and unused Silver and Famicom machines.

I bought the original GBA the week it was released in Japan.

I think it was about £250 with Wai Wai and Mario.

It was sold soon after due to the dark screen.

After that I held off buying another until the SP came out with LTTP.

What do I remember? I remember having next to no money and getting a preowned fat GBA fairly cheap when everyone else owned a much better model :lol: I'd play Yoshi's Island on the bus trip to college and struggle to angle the light so that I could see what the heck I was doing. I started out picking up any old rubbish (Ecks vs. Sever 2, anyone?) but then Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Wario Ware Inc took over my life. As someone who's never owned a SNES, I had great fun playing through Super Mario World and completing the Special World without any of the save state trickery I used to rely on.

I eventually sold my fat GBA and some of the games to finance a DS. I did later pick up a Micro and nearly got the bug again, but that machine was lost after a clearout. Most recently I decided to buy Wario Ware Inc online again, despite some of the silly prices new boxed copies can go for (I won't admit how much I paid...) One game I'd still really like to get one day is Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland since it's essentially a port of Kirby's Adventure, one of my all-time favourite Kirby titles. :wub:

EDIT: and yeah, Rhythm Tengoku was one of the best things to happen to gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSAFeYFoJxE

• Upvote 2

Oh man, I love it to bits. An incredible little console with an excellent catalogue of games. I bought the original a year or so after it was first released with Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, then found I couldn't see the damn thing :lol: Even in the sun it didn't quite work properly. I picked up an SP a little later, and it was much better.

Awesome memories?

Super%20Mario%20Advance%202%20-%20Super%20Mario%20World-2.png

Super Mario World. The best version in my opinion. A wonderful widescreen port that controlled perfectly on the GBA and had a few decent improvements (being able to save anywhere, and the ability to go back and collect all of the yoshi coins). I've finished this with the all the exits and all of the yoshi coins just the once (it's not an easy feat), but I've rattled through the main game more times than I can remember.

290b.png

Sonic Advance. I was a huge fan of the Mega Drive Sonics, so being able to play a brand new version was amazing. It wasn't quite everything I'd hoped for, but the original Advance is definitely the best of the lot, and it's still very playable.

_-Wario-Ware-Inc-Minigame-Mania-GBA-_.jpg

Wario Ware. Absolutely batshit mental. An incredibly original game that's perfectly suited to the handheld, and it's just brimming with ideas. Twisted is lovely too.

_-Ninja-Cop-GBA-_.jpg

Ninja Cop. Not really my type of game, but I absolutely loved it. The tight controls that make you feel totally awesome while you're playing it. It just got too difficult after a while so I never quite finished it, but it's a lovely game.

And just as I'm playing through Ocarina for the first time on the 3DS, the GBA gave me the first chance to play A Link to the Past. A shout out for Guru Logic Champ (it is indeed absolutely wonderful), Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros 3, Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission, the Castlevania games, Chu Chu Rocket puzzle mode, Polarium Advance, Gradius Advance, and V-Rally for giving me the first '3D' handheld racing experience, even if it was a bit too easy.

I now own two GB Micros which I play regularly (well, one is a spare), and I bought another SP not long ago so I could play Tetris DX on it.

• Upvote 2

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was my first game for it. A whole, proper adventure game in my pocket. It was incredible. And from there on out it was one wonderful gem of a release after another. No system's releases have had as much personality, not even the GameCube's.

We wound up spending many lunch-times in high school playing link-up Mario Bros. in a friend's kitchen. I played two incredible new Castlevania games within the same twelve months in 2002 and 2003. Metroid Fusion's boss battles, insanely, sold me on the GameCube because I needed Metroid Prime after that. I recall vividly leaning against the window in my flat, grabbing the last vestiges of sunshine to defeat a Boktai boss.

• Upvote 5

... and V-Rally for giving me the first '3D' handheld racing experience, even if it was a bit too easy.

This amazed me when it came out, I couldn't believe the GBA was capable of it. I think it was actual magic.

This Ninja Cop is the one that goes for silly money, isn't it?

I got a Japanese import, I think from Lik Sang. I remember getting F Zero with it and I'm sure one other game but I can't remember which. Could have been Final Fight One. I remember buying Castievania on the UK launch. Problem was you just couldnt see it. Got Super Street Fighter on import, and Mario Kart. And Advance Wars. Got an SP and enjoyed playing all my games again, Fusion, Zero etc. The micro is amazing. I remember places like Woolworth and Dixons selling them off cheap for £30 and less. Bargain, even though i paid well over the odds fir Rhe famicom model. Best handheld ever and probably always will be until someone else gets one out for that size.

• Upvote 1

This Ninja Cop is the one that goes for silly money, isn't it?

I've got it boxed and I'd rather massacre my first-born than give it up.

• Upvote 2

Bought in the Metro Centre HMV if memory serves. I got THPS2, which was awesome fun. I remember how well the console fit in my combats (!) when I was out and about.

Getting a mate to pick up Advance Wars from Dumfries when he was off on the bus, him trying it out on his own GBA waiting for the bus back, and him going off and buying his own copy. Then everyone playing it endlessly. The themes from it are still stuck in my head.

Mario Kart link play on the bus back from Glasgow on a school outing to check out the university for 6th years.

Mario World all the time.

Best handheld ever.

• Upvote 2

My memories of the GBA are pretty much all bad unfortunately.

Bought the original one that you had to play in front of a floodlight, was rubbish. Screen was too small too. Bought the original frontlit sp which was awful and had bad ergonomics, bought an original GBA with the afterburner mod which was great but died after a while. Bought the newer sp with the backlight, screen was great, got a handgrip for it which was essential, stopped you from getting cramps after 5 minutes of use but by that time I was pretty much to sick to death of the fucking thing :lol:

It was shit how they just kept shovelling out remakes of the mario games instead of giving us a new one.

So, no, fuck the gba and fuck nintendo! :lol:

No trackball, huh?

I was very sceptical of the SP's ergonomics but after a little adjustment it was pretty much the perfect Game Boy. It had the old, definitive layout when it was unfolded, but closed up it was like, I dunno, floppy disks from 2036 or something.

• Upvote 3

Bought in the Metro Centre HMV if memory serves. I got THPS2, which was awesome fun. I remember how well the console fit in my combats (!) when I was out and about.

I was going to get a mini-disk player, I recall. Then I saw THPS2 and changed my mind. Had to go all the way back. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Popuri.

Thanks. I can't imagine how pissed she'd be that I forgot her name. I'd offer her cucumbers or something as a peace offering but I'm not convinced it'd work.

• Upvote 2

Remember having to shell out a comparitive lot of money for one (in that, I was younger and didn't have cash). Later I won an SP at some clumsy games event hosted by a girl off Bits, where I lost a round of Donkey Konga in front of a big crowd, despite having more points; I'd since convinced myself that this blunder stopped the event from being shown on the telly. The runner-up prize (which everyone got) was the GBA SP, which cost more than a 1st prize Gamecube at the time.

I was going to get a mini-disk player, I recall. Then I saw THPS2 and changed my mind. Had to go all the way back. :lol:

You dodged a bullet there. What were you thinking anyway? You used to buy one CD a year!

GBA cartridges used to fit perfectly in the interior front pocket of my baggy jeans WHAT UPPPPPP.

• Upvote 1

A few, well quite a few years ago now I went travelling in India. I got stuck in a crappy hostel with the worst food poisoning I have ever had, somewhere up near Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges. The only thing that kept me sane was my GBA sp with Harvest Moon, Zelda: Minnish Cap and ChuChu Rocket. I owe that little fella my life!

Well okay not quite, but it's still my favourite handheld, I never got round to getting a micro and sometimes regret that. Here's the thing though, after I got back from travelling I packed it away in it's little Airform pouch thing and forgot about it. Just dug it out now and it's still holding a charge. Amazing, that's what 7, 8 years later? :wub:

I had a Minidisc player too. I recorded the Crazy Taxi soundtrack off my mate's Dreamcast, some Bill Hicks CDs from my brother, and a few episodes of Red Dwarf off the telly. I wish I had an action figure of my 2002 self.

• Upvote 2

Here's the thing though, after i got bcak from travelling I packet it away in it's little Airform pouch thing and forgot about it. just dug it out now and it's still holding a charge. Amazing, that's what 7, 8 years later? :wub:

Bloody hell. I can't leave my PSP for a week without the battery draining!

You dodged a bullet there. What were you thinking anyway? You used to buy one CD a year!

I think at that point I still had a Walkman and I'd just tape whatever you bought.

Which reminds me, I totally have that tape of contextless RE3 dialogue and the Gran Turismo OST we ripped from the menus. Well, it's either here or I know where it is. Good times!

Those were some amazing shoulder buttons, huh?