So I've installed Deus Ex [1]

McNeillR

Basically, I'm the most non-PC gamer...eh, gamer person ever. My list of PC games completed include Commandos, Half Life, Doom, Worms and Commander Keen.

I've had a new PC for about 9 months, yet Commandos 2 is the most workout it's ever got.

Deus Ex came with the package, and seeing as my GC is off getting fixed [and Halo crushing me hard] I installed and jammed on the Training level last night.

Really good stuff so far. Like a detailed Half Life. I still can't climb ladders for the life of me, but apart from that- no complaints. I've noted that it's hardly a 'new' game, and the sneaking bits are more enjoyable because of that.

More to come methinks.

I still can't climb ladders for the life of me

There's this one ladder in the last level, and they've mucked up how much space there is at the top, it always takes me like 5 minutes worth of trying, and I've played my fair share of fps.

Other than that beyond miniscule complaint, great game, in fact it's in my top 5.

I found it to be alright to begin with, but the actual action just got a bit boring, sneaking is way too easy, as is taking every baddy down without getting into a huge firefight, it just gets boring after a while, no matter what tactics I employ . And the RPG level gaining elements just don't cut it for me, to make this game enjoyable.

Basically, the actual meat of the game, the action, I find to be crap. but then again, i did play this after playing Halo, so my expectations may be a bit too high.

I think one thing that made/makes me really fond of Deus Ex is that when it first came out, it came out of nowhere. No hype, nothing. I remember it reading the review on gamesradar and it was like "this is one of the best games ever". So I went out and bought it and it was awesome. Love the game to pieces.

Amazing game. One of the top 5 games I've played in 25 years of gaming. The atmosphere/storyline/ attention to detail are all superb. I don't think I've ever been more engrossed in a game before, so much so that I played it through twice on different difficulty settings and made slightly different choices the second time around.

There's this one ladder in the last level, and they've mucked up how much space there is at the top, it always takes me like 5 minutes worth of trying, and I've played my fair share of fps.

Yeah i remember that, it really pissed me off!

THe story isnt good, but its better than most video game stories.

But this is one of my fave games ever.

Its all in the feeling of location. Theres no running just to the end of the level, you have to explore. Its fabulous!!!

You'll be disappointed then as whilst 2 is a good game it's not a patch on the first.

Agreed the second one is a big dissapointment compared to the first.

Is the Xbox version's performance really as bad as they say?

Well, I'm about 6 hours into the sequel, and so far it's awesome. IMO the graphics and lighting are stunning, almost a step ahead of pretty much anything on the box so far. The framerate stutters as a result, but that honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest. The physics engine is also fantastic to play with, and the amount of freedom is fantastic.

My only problem is that I can't compare it to the first, as I never actually played it (although after the second I'll definitely be going back to it..).

Well, I'm about 6 hours into the sequel, and so far it's awesome. IMO the graphics and lighting are stunning, almost a step ahead of pretty much anything on the box so far. The framerate stutters as a result, but that honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest. The physics engine is also fantastic to play with, and the amount of freedom is fantastic.

My only problem is that I can't compare it to the first, as I never actually played it (although after the second I'll definitely be going back to it..).

I put in a few hours on the Xbox version over the weekend and am utterly loving it. Agree with Monkey - the framerate drops badly from the outset, the game really could have done with another few months for optimisation, but after a while it either improves or you just don't notice it.

Deus Ex required the player to forgive it, combat being one utterly woeful implementation, and that aspect is much improved this time around. The loss of skills is a shame, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that you now have to choose augmenations - I quickly installed run silent but was later surprised to learn I couldn't hack computers without overwriting it, which makes for interesting tactical decisions.

It's as easy so far as the original was on PS2 so I will probably play the PC version one day assuming it's harder, and the level design is much more cramped than the original's pleasingly large environments, but most of what made Deus Ex so great is present and correct - it's utterly compulsive, looks gorgeous (what they've done with shadows is just extraordinary) and sounds brilliant too.

I don't believe that when I've finished it I'll feel the same way as I did when playing the quite sublime first game, but it's already one of the most enjoyable action adventures I've played.