IGNORED

Android Games

Cyhwuhx

Hooray! I've been saving up credit for it via Rewards, but by christ it's slow going - I've only got as far as £2.40 so far.

Bit off topic, but sometimes checking the Rewards app gives you extra surveys to do that don't always pop up as a notification. I've done 3 that I would have missed out on if I just relied on notifications (my current hi-score is £3.72)

Really? I've never had anything other than "no survey at this time" but then I've only had the occasional look at it to see my paltry balance. I'm also having sod all luck at getting asked more than one question before it tells me to do one and gives me 6p.

Already got Blazing Star which works well enough, but obviously it's better with a pad and I can't imagine any of the others are overly playable without - especially not the fighting games. However, that Rhythm of Fighters game sounds interesting, anyone tried it?

I got it a while ago, and it's actually pretty good. Similar to Cool Cool Toon (or, Elite Beats Agents, I guess), but you can tap anywhere on the screen so it works better on a phone.

Although it's a paid app, there are also DLC music packs you have to pay for, themed around different SNK games. You get a decentish selection of tracks as standard, though.

The trailer gives you a decent idea of how it works:

Up to the first boss it's a given that you're just hunting a for good armour/weapon. Only once getting past the first boss do I consider it reasonable run at the game.

Pixel Dungeon is great. Level 18 Warlock being my best so far...

However, that Rhythm of Fighters game sounds interesting, anyone tried it?

Actually, if it's not too late, they're just about to make it free apparently, so probably best not to buy it (though if you do, you will apparently get some bonus tracks when the free version comes out). Should be happening today at some point, according to the SNK Facebook page.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snkplaymore.android009

Full disclosure - this is a bit of game pimping for a very good friend.... but if you're in the market for a fun little gravity based physics platformer you could do worse than Perfect Moon

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.willsykes.perfectmoon

(iOS version too if you're that way inclined https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perfect-moon/id906672326?ls=1&mt=8)

Prior to this Will was a lead on Monument Valley and has been in the industry for decades. This is his 1st attempt at going it alone (quite literally - he did all of the code, art, music etc.) and he's eager to get some feedback.

Here's a review so you don't just have to take my word for it...

http://www.supergamedroid.com/2014/08/16/friday-night-indie-game-round-up-55/

...and one from IGN Sweden (apparently they liked it)

http://se.ign.com/ign-sverige/68472/blog/gamescom-2014

• 1 month later...

Are there any recommendations for decent adventure games or RPGs with a decent storyline, on Android?

Yeah, totally get Broken Sword 1 & 2, maybe ScummVM for Android and...

Looking for new stuff rather than playing Scumm/Broken Sword again.

... FUCK.

I quite enjoyed Sword and Sworcery, but it's basically hipster adventure gaming.

There's the new Broken Sword, if you've not played that?

Otherwise, there's Gemini Rue and the Blackwell games from Wadjet Eye, Machinarium, the Telltale Walking Dead games or Last Express if you didn't play it at the time. I guess The Room and its sequel are sort of adventure games in a Myst style.

• 5 weeks later...

Android gamers, a question.

I love XCom (the newer ones). I have Enemy Unknown on my phone. It's great if a little clunky to play at times. Unfortunately it's a beast of a system hog and runs my phone very hot and will drain the battery significantly if I play for say, the duration of my lunch break.

So, the question is, is there a similar turn based strategy game available on Android that is a lot simpler in terms of graphics, and as such won't kill my battery so quickly? (not that simple graphics alone mitigate battery drain, I'm looking at you, Game Dev Story!) If I had the time and skills I'd make my own XCom ripoff with cute little Advance Wars sprites!

A shame frozen Synapse isn't compatible with my Nexus 5 either :(