Football Thread 2011/2012

Spain would want to pay for hosting the tournament like they would want a hole in the head at the moment. It's not a case of who's turn it is, Italy won't want to pay for it, Spain won't, England won't after the Olympics and so on.

Reading the Graun article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/30/euro-2020-12-13-countries-michel-platini_ then Euro 2020 is Turkeys unless it wins the Olympics.

You could just about pull off a Scotland/Wales/Ireland tournament. Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park, Aviva Stadium, Croke Park, Millenium Stadium and one other.

Actually, Croke Park wouldn't work. Hill 16 is standing and UEFA rules insist on all seater. That would probably rule out a lot of GAA stadia, too.

If you could work in temporary seating, or UEFA were to relax the rule and allow for unused terracing to be present (or just accept that there's little wrong with standing in the first place), Croke Park would be fine.

Not sure on the practicalities of the temporary seating thing - and it would be happening right in the middle of the GAA season, come to think of it, so the Dubs fans will not be happy if they have to watch matches from seats.

UEFA won't relax the rule - it would open too many floodgates.

Spain would want to pay for hosting the tournament like they would want a hole in the head at the moment. It's not a case of who's turn it is, Italy won't want to pay for it, Spain won't, England won't after the Olympics and so on.

Madrid are bidding for the Olympics so I see no reason why it's any different for them in that regard. It really should be Spain.

Plus surely if the infrastructure is there then the hosts costs won't be that significant to Spain. The biggest costs would probably come from police and any extra transport theyd need to put on. I'm sure the amount of tourists (especially with 24 teams) would more than cover that.

UEFA won't relax the rule - it would open too many floodgates.

Yeah, more people would be able to see matches, other people wouldn't be irritated by idiots standing all match in front of them, it'd be terrible.

I agree though, they won't do it.

David Beckham gets overlooked for the Great Britain team, has the world's biggest strop in front of 50,000+ people in San Jose. Even gives the ridiculously attired club mascot a bit of aggro.

Videos, gifs and write-up in the link.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/david-beckham-scores-freekick-aims-shot-injured-player-involved-melee-mascot-san-jose-earthquakes-4-la-galaxy-3/

David Beckham gets overlooked for the Great Britain team, has the world's biggest strop in front of 50,000+ people in San Jose. Even gives the ridiculously attired club mascot a bit of aggro.

Videos, gifs and write-up in the link.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/david-beckham-scores-freekick-aims-shot-injured-player-involved-melee-mascot-san-jose-earthquakes-4-la-galaxy-3/

Beckham's still got it, SEE Stuart Pierce! :D

BECKHAM-TROLLING.gif

1. That melee at the end was nothing, nice to see a bit of passion from both sides.

2. That ball that hits the 'injured' player... Beckham should be rewarded for showing the guy was faking :lol:

Villas Boas to Spurs confirmed, then. I've got an uncomfortable feeling that Chelsea are about to realise how utterly fucking stupid they were in the way they treated him.

Hopefully he fails miserably and Spurs get relegated, of course.

[Optimism] He's a fine manager who had to make the tough decisions at Chelsea. He mismanaged his opportunity and maybe under estimated player power. This isn't as big a problem at Spurs and he will have learned his lesson regardless. What's more he now has a point to prove and is managing one of his old club's biggest rivals/ [/optimism]

He's going to fuck up and bomb and take the club with him. We're doomed.

Torres + cash for Modric deal? :eyebrows:

I like how he appears to be almost the exact opposite of GEEZAR Redknapp.

At least he'll live in London and show some commitment though ;)

I have a good feeling about this appointment, he was the man I wanted as soon as Harry was sacked and I have a feeling he will just love to be a success at Spurs if only to piss Chelsea off.

Villas Boas to Spurs confirmed, then. I've got an uncomfortable feeling that Chelsea are about to realise how utterly fucking stupid they were in the way they treated him.

Me too. I can't shake the feeling that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time at Chelsea and is actually a very good manager.

Hopefully i'm wrong though and he makes a complete mess of things.

Well if it has a couple of Arsenal fans worried, it is surely a good appointment.

It will be very interesting now to see how much money AVB gets to spend, Harry was hardly given a penny in the last couple of years and I have always felt that was down to Levy not trusting Redknapp when it came to spending the cash.

If he persists with this ludicrously high line it might actually work this time. Walker, Kaboul and the geezer with the afro and three names which I can't spell are all quite pacy. Might just need another centre back as can't see Dawson or an ageing Gallas being too comfortable 45-yards from goal.

Still an interesting appointment no doubt.

That is one of the reasons why I think he will be a success at Spurs, Chelsea just did not have the players to play the way he likes while I think Spurs generally do.

It is similar to the way Brandan Rogers was such a failure at Reading and Liverpool fans seem over the moon to have him in charge now.

It is similar to the way Brandan Rogers was such a failure at Reading and Liverpool fans seem over the moon to have him in charge now.

Um

1. That's a drink in the 'Disco Benny mentions Brendan being a failure at Reading' drinking game and

2. Most fans are open to the appointment, but we know we haven't got Mourinho or anything (yet?).

To be fair a man who sticks to one plan even as it becomes more and more obvious it isn't working is what Spurs look for in a manager.

That is one of the reasons why I think he will be a success at Spurs, Chelsea just did not have the players to play the way he likes while I think Spurs generally do.

What?

I think it's a good appointment by Spurs (hope I'm wrong) and am surprised Liverpool didn't go for him.

As has been mentioned, looking back he didn't have a chance at Chelsea.

It seems RA paid big money to bring him in, put him in charge of transforming Chelsea's ageing team but when the big players (Terry, Lampard & Drogba for example) were having none of it RA sacked him instead of backing him.

Ok, Chelsea did go on to win the FA Cup and the other one but Di Matteo has got one hell of a job on if he's expected to get Chelsea back challenging for the PL.

Spices up the Chelsea v Spurs fixtures nicely for next season.