Football Thread 2011/2012

SMD

Well it wasn't much of a game for fans of either side if you could take the result out of it. Munich lacked any real quality up front as none of their attacking players had particularly great games and Chelsea weren't good enough to offer any threat themselves.

You're right that Munich threw it away, it was always their game to control - but you do have to credit Chelsea for maintaining their discipline (and legs!) in the face of constant waves of attacks which prevented Munich getting any space.

I was a neutral too and didn't really care who won, but I'm glad I only had the match on in the background because it was pretty rough as a spectacle.

Bayern: 34 shots, 21 on target. 20 corners

Chelsea: 9 shots, 6 on target. 1 corner

And about 30 of those shots were from outside the area, which was their problem and their corners were terrible.

I found Bayern reluctance to swap Ribery and Robben to the opposite wings every now and again to be really annoying. Why they just kept fruitlessly cutting inside and blasting the ball into the stands over and over again when a better option surely would have been to put a cross in with your stronger foot to one of the lankiest cunts going is beyond me.

I dunno, are they normally good at set pieces and crossing? I think every cross of the ball went nowhere, and all their half-chances came from playing the ball on the ground. It's like whenever the ball went for a Bayern corner kick there was a sigh of relief for Chelsea fans.

Chelsea might not have played attractive attacking football, but they were very solid defensively and they took their chances, and Petr Čech was outstanding. I think it was a fair result.

West Ham vs Blackpool, on the other hand...

So I recorded this after a night out at a restaurant where they had the nerve to put the game on the TV behind me. I avoided watching, in case it was a good game. Leave just as extra time comes to an end, and start watching it from the start at home. Fast forward a lot. And some more. And more again, but still sit through about an hour and a half of it. Eventually, thank christ, it's penalties. The pulse races, the lottery begins. Lahm scores, Mata misses, Gomez puts in a decent one then Sideshow Bob welts one into the top corner and wheels away to celebrate... then the recording ends :facepalm: FUCK. FUCKING CUNTFLAPS.

I'm now attempting to watch the remaining bit in Russian or something. What a waste of a fucking evening.

This is me, except mine stopped about 75 minutes :(

Just had to find some highlights online.

From what I saw, I'll say that Bayern blew chance after chance. Yes there was some good defending from Chelsea in places but overall they were so lucky and it would have been a completely different analysis on their performance if they'd lost 1-0 or 2-1 in normal time.

Can't believe Drogba got away with conceding another penalty while defending and another world class never-misses-s-penalty player cocked it up! Incredible. They should never have let Robben line up for it against Cech, Pigsticker should've taken it.

Anyway, even as a Liverpool fan I was happy they won it in the end.

Chelsea might not have played attractive attacking football, but they were very solid defensively and they took their chances, and Petr Čech was outstanding. I think it was a fair result.

West Ham vs Blackpool, on the other hand...

The opposition missing all their chances isn't the same thing as being defensively solid.

From what I saw, I'll say that Bayern blew chance after chance. Yes there was some good defending from Chelsea in places but overall they were so lucky and it would have been a completely different analysis on their performance if they'd lost 1-0 or 2-1 in normal time.

Yes. untitled-11c9j6z.gif

Gutted for Spurs but you have to hand it to Chelsea really, Bayern did a Barca and as many have said the result it was matters in the history books - well done Chelsea.

I suspect Modric will be off but I hope Bale stays - I wonder if Chelsea will spend a fortune over the summer as they are quite a few players shy of a decent premiere league challenging team?

The trophy lift was a bit of a cock up with Terry and Lampard having to fight their way to the front. And now I see that Bosingwa's arm saved the day. Terry still wasn't going to let go of his hard earned prize, though.

25typuq.jpg

To be fair to Terry, Ivanovich was one of the players hogging the best spots on the front row in his playing kit, alongside Torres who was less keen to draw attention to himself when the penalty takers were being chosen.

Amazingly, Ashley Cole came out of last night as a true hero.

That gif is slightly misleading. From behind the goal, Cahill covers the near post so Gomez had to try and curl it in at the far post but blazed over. I watched the game and Chelsea were very negative but, in their defence (no pun intended), they didn't have the attacking options that Bayern did - Mata and Lampard and Drogba were their only real attacking threat. They did what they had to do and relied upon luck in the penalty shoot out. Bayen looked great until they got near the goal and Chelsea defended from the front - it was a very solid performance and it was an away game. For me, I was pleased to see Lampard get a medal as he's been consistently World Class for a long, long time and it was good to see English players scoring in a shoot-out. Cahill was brilliant too.

I enjoyed watching Platini's grumpy face when he was giving the medals to Bayern :lol: he really does hate the Premier League. £1 billion to finally win the European Cup.

Taking Muller off when they did will surely go down as one of the greatest tactical cock ups on record. Bayern totally lost their shape in extra time and where as previously Chelsea were just heaving the ball clear to invite another onslaught the complete opposite was true for that 30 minutes. If they'd have watched Arsenal just once in the last 7 years they'd have known full well it never works.

This achievement will be viewed similar to Liverpool's win in '05 - the team that won the trophy aren't even the best team in London, let alone the league or Europe and they rode their luck in both the run to the final and the final itself. Another parallel is that the opposition just didn't look up for the shoot-out (a fact I highlighted when Neuer stood up to take that crucial - at the time - 3rd kick).

That's not an insult, by the way, and I say it as a Liverpool fan. Chelsea fans - like me back in 2005 - won't give two-craps about how poor a league season it was, or high outplayed they were. All that matters is that they won the trophy.

Well it wasn't much of a game for fans of either side if you could take the result out of it. Munich lacked any real quality up front as none of their attacking players had particularly great games and Chelsea weren't good enough to offer any threat themselves.

You're right that Munich threw it away, it was always their game to control - but you do have to credit Chelsea for maintaining their discipline (and legs!) in the face of constant waves of attacks which prevented Munich getting any space.

I was a neutral too and didn't really care who won, but I'm glad I only had the match on in the background because it was pretty rough as a spectacle.

And about 30 of those shots were from outside the area, which was their problem and their corners were terrible.

Factor in the location too, and also just how many fans in that stadium were Bayern fans (there definetly wasn't an equal split) and really, Chelsea's performance comes as no surprise, it was always going to be a backs to the wall kind of thing.

Personally, I think that Chelsea as cup winners getting to play in the CL next season rather than Spurs is one of the few things football has gotten right. Chelsea have actually won something rather than just finished 4th. The 'race for fourth' is so depressing.