IGNORED

Football Thread 2011/2012

SMD

But isn't the perception of Hodgson one of a man whom, while tactically astute and capable of getting teams of modest ability to punch well above their weight through a mix of strict training routine and good strategy, is incapable of handling big egos and getting the best players to play for him. It was certainly a problem at Liverpool and he only did 'ok' at Inter, with a team that wasn't exactly bursting with big name talent.

Unless he decides to draft in Danny Murphy and Paul Konchesky I doubt his ability to handle the likes of EBJT, Rooney and Gerrard.

'Arry is more popular with the players and you know he's Frank's uncle and everything.

EBJT and Gerrard won't be in the team in two years.

The media are a bunch of slags, and you lot are playing up to them. They are probably determined to find Hodgson now and hound him like a Scholari until he steps aside for Redknapp.

The people should just shut up. I wouldn't mind Hodgson having a go. Years of experience at all levels. Tons of titles at various clubs. About the right age to have a go - and not really doing much at WBA. Won't cost too much. May be refreshing. And (best of all for anyone whinging about it) - if he Fs it up - Redknapp's contract should have run down by then and he can have a go in 2 years (by then he may have more European experience under his belt)

+1 for Hodgson from me!

But I don't mind Hodgson, Redknapp, Mourinho, Hoddle - anyone. Just lets get on with it.

I'm still more worried about the English grass roots blue print and bringing through a better technical quality of player, whilst still retaining the English "gung ho" "stick it up em" tradition.

Are you Paddy Barclay?

England should just appoint a different manager for every game

This is the best idea. Run it on a lottery system. A bit like the Hunger Games but with the winners getting harsher treatment.

It'll still be Harry, I reckon.

Apart from anything else, Hodgson will have a far tougher job winning over the fanbase. It's time for the FA to bow to popular opinion on this one after various contrary appointments and the subsequent difficulties.

Is 'arry actually the 'popular opinion' or just the default name people arrive at? Is he the best candidate or just the only Englishman the average football fan can think of/have been fed by the media? The appointment should be based on suitability and merit, not popular opinion. If the two are the same then great, but are they?

Wonder if the english scouse fans and players will whine and bitch and get Hodgson sacked from the England job too? ;)

There are hardly any 'English scouse fans', certainly not enough who care enough about England to get the manager sacked anyway.

Not the sponser announcement I Imagined when seeing the teaser logo. It's quite baffling, I get the exposure thing but Football clubs are meant to have sponsors, not be sponsers. Then again I suppose Abromovich has the cash. Is there any precedent in other areas?

I'm not sure whoever's manager will make that much difference before a tournament, though I guess I do have a little more faith in Roy to stop us getting humiliated by Germany or Spain than I do in 'Arry.

The big news is this going to weaken West Brom's resolve for their game against Bolton, who will now be favourites to pick up 3 points, and ultimately to stay up.

Not the sponser announcement I Imagined when seeing the teaser logo. It's quite baffling, I get the exposure thing but Football clubs are meant to have sponsors, not be sponsers. Then again I suppose Abromovich has the cash. Is there any precedent in other areas?

Well there was the abortive Premier 1 Grand Prix and slightly less unsuccessful Superleague Formula series where F1 teams actually branded whole cars. Chelsea were involved in the first and Liverpool and Spurs in the 2nd.

Cross promotion is no bad thing of course, it remains to be seen if it'll be two way (Will I see Sauber merchandise in the Chelsea Megastore for instance).

I really am in two minds about this. On the one hand. Hodgson has a wealth of experience. But we have seen that can count for very little before. That said, he does have previous international management experience, and experience of tournament football. But then so did Seteve Mclaren to an extent. He did great at Fulham and West Brom. But when the pressure is really on, when the spotlight is shining straight on him (liverpool, blackburn et) he seems to lose his way.

I really don't know. he could be great he could be shite. But let face it, if you want an Englishman, who else is there? Hoddle? That's ridiculous. Harry? Yes, but I can't help feeling we would end up with another Keegan.

Is 'arry actually the 'popular opinion' or just the default name people arrive at? Is he the best candidate or just the only Englishman the average football fan can think of/have been fed by the media? The appointment should be based on suitability and merit, not popular opinion. If the two are the same then great, but are they?

Doesn't being the 'default name people arrive at' by definition make him the 'popular choice'?

Anyway, it's not like England are overburdened by truly great English choices. But if the FA don't go English, the press will slaughter them. It's a lose-lose situation really. That's why I'm suggesting they'll bow to popular choice, to save their own sleazy skins.

Seems like the players run the show these days, so that's why I'd fear for Hodgson a bit. He always seems like a kindly uncle and I wouldn't put it beyond the current squad to try to exploit that. Redknapp comes across as a slightly better fit in that respect.

It seems a strange one to me. No manager is going to get any decent amount of time with the squad so just throw as much cash as possible at Ferguson, Wenger of Mourinho to do it and then if they fail we can safely say the squad wasn't going to do any better with another manager. You can then appoint someone new after the Euro's to begin the rebuilding process that should have started 2 years ago.

It seems a strange one to me. No manager is going to get any decent amount of time with the squad so just throw as much cash as possible at Ferguson, Wenger of Mourinho to do it and then if they fail we can safely say the squad wasn't going to do any better with another manager. You can then appoint someone new after the Euro's to begin the rebuilding process that should have started 2 years ago.

Unless they've decided to appoint Roy to basically steady the ship whilst rebuilding goes on in the background since it's a cheap option...? Although I just can't see the FA having that sort of long-term vision.

Unless they've decided to appoint Roy to basically steady the ship whilst rebuilding goes on in the background since it's a cheap option...? Although I just can't see the FA having that sort of long-term vision.

The background rebuilding (assuming we're talking about youth structure) has been going on for years though and still hasn't really got anywhere from what I can see. I can't believe money is an issue either, Sven and Capello were paid massive amounts so seems daft to try and save money on the eve of a major tournament.

I just think it's a lazy choice. The main worry I have is that in some of the interviews with players who have done well under Hodgson they mention a lot of repetition to get tactics. etc correct. That's fine when you've got a 40+ game season plus pre-season but it doesn't look like he'd have anywhere near the sort of time to implement the methods he's achieved most success with.

I'll still be surprised if the FA don't stump up for Harry, but I can't think of many people better qualified than Roy. Even ignoring the need to be British, he's pretty high up the list. Mourinho and Guardiola (and a whole pile of others) might be better managers, but they've not got any international experience. Hiddink has gone really down hill, Scolari is just a little bit unlikely.

Hodgson didn't "lose his way" at Liverpool or anywhere else, his stats are generally the same everywhere although he's been marginally more successful at West Brom overall.

Expectation was higher at Liverpool and before this season you may have said he should have done better with the squad he had but it's clear that Liverpool are a club on the slide and Roy was never given a chance to turn them around.

The big difference is that he's respected at West Brom and he has the backing of the players and fans.

One thing I will say is that Roy knows what he's doing, when albion were struggling a little bit for various reasons he made the right changes to turn things around, he got the best out of the players he had, he bought Fortune back from the reserves ( after a loan spell in league 1 ) and put him up front on his own then moved Odemwingie, last season's top scorer, out to the right wing. Odemwingie scored 5 goals in 2 games and we spanked Wolves, it was briliant.

People go on about his 4-4-2 and boring this / boring that but he's played 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 at albion this season, add to that he's taken a team that had only 1 clean sheet last season to having 10 this season without changing too much of the football we play.

The background rebuilding (assuming we're talking about youth structure) has been going on for years though and still hasn't really got anywhere from what I can see. I can't believe money is an issue either, Sven and Capello were paid massive amounts so seems daft to try and save money on the eve of a major tournament.

I just think it's a lazy choice. The main worry I have is that in some of the interviews with players who have done well under Hodgson they mention a lot of repetition to get tactics. etc correct. That's fine when you've got a 40+ game season plus pre-season but it doesn't look like he'd have anywhere near the sort of time to implement the methods he's achieved most success with.

Not trying to contradict you but there was a lot of derision of the simplicity of one of Roy's tactics board for Liverpool that was leaked onto the web while he was in charge so either it's a lot of repetition to get it right or keeping it simple which would suit an international team you've got very little time with?

If Harry's really not getting it then I expect it's because Brooking has got his way, they've got bad history.

As long as the players actually play well for him then I expect Hodgson will do better than Harry could have, but the question is will they? It'd be quite nice if he tore the squad to pieces and brought the younger talent in rather than attempting to polish the same golden turd.

England need a manager who can get big egos organised and working hard, can intelligently use players experience, can get a team to peak over a month period in a cup competition, and knows how to stifle more technically gifted opposition. They also need to break this knee-jerk English/Foreign toggling. Di Matteo anyone? :)