IGNORED

Football Thread 2011/2012

SMD

Both Suarez and Evra looked hesitant, not because they didn't want to shake but because they were unsure whether the other one was going to offer his hand. Even so, Evra then tries to pull Suarez back and that's when you have to call it a snub from Suarez.

All said and done, though, who gives a toss apart from the fans trying to prove who the guilty party is? If they don't like each other, that's their business. Wayne Bridge was allowed to get away with it, managers like Mark Hughes and Wenger have got away with it.

Who cares? Spurs just thumped Newcastle.

Adebayor eh? Cor what a performance, and Saha! Genuinely surprised to even see him starting let alone scoring.

You want to talk about a football match?! The cheek of it!

Really bad time for Newcastle for us to play us really, no Tiote to keep a collar on Modric and nobody really keeping Parker occupied either.

I cheered when Rooney scored. I hate Man Utd usually... Suarez, you wanker, what have you done to me?!

Having said that, Paul Scholes was utterly majestic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/16996567

"Suarez is a disgrace to Liverpool Football Club," said United manager Ferguson. "He should not be allowed to play for Liverpool again. He could have caused a riot."

"I couldn't believe Suarez refused Evra's handshake," he said. "You saw the referee [Phil Dowd]. He didn't know what to do. It was a terrible start to the game and it created a terrible atmosphere....

"Racism is an important issue and football has come a long way since the days of bananas being thrown at John Barnes."

Fergie sits on the fence :lol:

It's all another hilarious misunderstanding! Poor Suarez, always getting into these little scrapes.

In Uruguay, not shaking hands probably isn't an insult ;)

But seriously though, I'm surprised the FA cancelled John Terry's chance of a snubbed handshake, but did nothing to prevent what happened today. I think I mean disappointed, not surprised. Both should have gone ahead or neither.

If the Barca system is so great and everyone should copy it, why do they look so unbelievably shite whenever Xavi and Iniesta don't start?

How dare you come into this thread and blaspheme. Barcelona are amazing. Scholes and Giggs could play for Barcelona - Scholes particularly today. Barcelona will be average again in five years time when Xavi and Iniesta have retired.

But seriously though, I'm surprised the FA cancelled John Terry's chance of a snubbed handshake, but did nothing to prevent what happened today. I think I mean disappointed, not surprised. Both should have gone ahead or neither.

Actually, The FA were simply agreeing with a request from QPR. There was no such request from either ManU or Liverpool.

The difference, for what it's worth, is that the Chelesa QPR situation refers to ongoing legal proceedings.

The legal proceedings for this one are well over.

That said I think the Chelsea one should have gone ahead, especially as there wouldn't have been a Terry snub since he wasn't going to play anyway.

The difference, for what it's worth, is that the Chelesa QPR situation refers to ongoing legal proceedings.

The legal proceedings for this one are well over.

That said I think the Chelsea one should have gone ahead, especially as there wouldn't have been a Terry snub since he wasn't going to play anyway.

I thought Terry played against QPR? If I'm wrong on that, then fair enough.

I don't see how a handshake would affect ongoing legal proceedings. Unless Terry perhaps pointed out in court "well your honour, we shook hands before a match a couple of months after the incident, so as you can see everything's fine now."

I've never been to court, but I'd be surprised if that kind of defence is effective

Actually, The FA were simply agreeing with a request from QPR. There was no such request from either ManU or Liverpool.

and that was after the QPR players met and decided they were all going to snub Terry's hand. One person today refused to shake hands and only with one other player. I don't know if the Rio Ferdinand snub of Suarez was premeditated or spontaneous solidarity, but the two cases are quite different.

It turns out he did play, my bad.

It probably isn't but it's always best to avoid contact as much as possible between 2 parties in a criminal proceeding.

I can't argue with the logic, but handshake or not they were still on the same pitch for 90 minutes. I don't really have the right answer. Perhaps under the circumstances neither of them should have played

Off down the ground at 7am to queue for my Carling Cup ticket.

Don't really need to as I'm guaranteed one, but wheres the fun in ordering on-line!!! May regret it if I die of pneumonia or Suarez turns up and drives into the queue in a monster truck killing 100's of fans.

Here's the measure to decide how much Liverpool are hated now - who do our Swansea fans want to win? Their hated rivals or the most evil club in the world ;-)

Any of the big teams wont usually be on first if they score 4 or 5 and there's a big match on elsewhere. I was just surprised they'd put Spurs cruising to a 5-0 win over a match than has dominated football for a week and has more talking points, footballing or not, than pretty much every other match this year.

Poor man-management by Dalglish it seems.

Saurez should have been told explicitly by the manager to shake hands. If he says he's not going to then you can drop him, or, if he says he's going to, but then doesn't, then you have to haul him off.

What a massive embarrassment all round.

EDIT: This article says it better - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/feb/11/liverpool-kenny-dalglish-luis-suarez

Off down the ground at 7am to queue for my Carling Cup ticket.

Don't really need to as I'm guaranteed one, but wheres the fun in ordering on-line!!! May regret it if I die of pneumonia or Suarez turns up and drives into the queue in a monster truck killing 100's of fans.

Here's the measure to decide how much Liverpool are hated now - who do our Swansea fans want to win? Their hated rivals or the most evil club in the world ;-)

Amazing, a guy probably makes a racist remark and fails to shake someone's hand, and as a result you now hate an entire fanbase? :doh: I realise that your comment is perhaps tongue in cheek, but the whole debacle has been quite ironic.

I'm annoyed Liverpool FC didn't realise that no matter what, on such an issue, you could never make any kind of stand, even if they might have been right. They should have from the start, held hands up, said we're against racism, gotten all the apologies done and moved on (perhaps Suarez didn't mean to make a racist remark, I understand he probably feels he didn't and that Evra blew it out of proportion but he should have just sucked it up).

We've all been sucked into a complete fiasco, we shouldn't expect better from footballers, we should from ourselves though.

Lets talk football!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17001503

Cameron plans football racism summit. Oh FFS. :(

Surely it's a good thing? The Evra/Suarez row is so far removed from the original issue of racism now that the chance to make a positive difference from that particular case is gone.

This season has left a sour taste, what with Liverpool's mishandling of the Suarez case, some Chelsea fans chanting, 'Anton, you know what you are' and the general issue of racism sometimes being overshadowed by juvenile point-scoring between fans.

An overall summit about the continued prevalence of racism in English football, on the pitch and in the stands, is at least a long overdue step in the right direction (but should have come from the FA, not the PM).

The repeated highlights from every concievable angle of the handshake on Match of the Day last night and the inane squawking from Hansen and Shearer have made me hate football. It's like watching the tit for tat insanity of common people on Jeremy Kyle. Look what you've done you bloody idiots.