Football Thread 2011/2012

SMD

I'm sure they will have taken context into account. Some seem to be trying to justify it by saying that Hernandez has called Evra negrito, but clearly the intent is going to be completely different. Even the most ardent Liverpool fan would surely struggle to believe it was used as a term of endearment during the match.

I think we can all agree violent conduct isn't penalised heavily enough, while the smallest drug related indiscretions are penalised way too heavily. But this doesn't strike me as a particularly heavy punishment for a player found guilty of repeatedly racially abusing an opponent on the field of play. In fact if he’d got much less I think the overwhelming impression would have been of the FA once again kowtowing to the big clubs, and I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised to see this isn’t the case.

8 games seems to be consistent with previous cases

The FA has had racism allegations to deal with in the past but the protagonists have been nothing like as high profile. There was certainly nothing like the same level of media scrutiny when, for example, Reading's John Mackie was banned for eight games, five of which were suspended, after he admitted racially abusing the Sheffield United striker Carl Asaba in a match in 2002. Mackie apologised and donated two weeks' wages to the Kick Racism Out of Football campaign.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/20/fa-statement-luis-suarez

It's an obvious statement but I'll say it anyway, I imagine the 5 suspended where due to readily admitting, apologising and doing community work. Which is obviously pretty much the exact opposite of the way he and LFC have acted.

Xavi's pass on :20 was just sublime. Tim Vickery wrote a really good article on what this match might mean for Brazilian football:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/columnist/vickery_tim/id/7365348/barcelona-solidifies-claim-world-best-club-world-cup-win-tim-vickery

I watch them every week, and it still amazes me how incredible this team is. I've just never seen anything like it.

Looks like a good game (did you go?) but really one Wolves should have been looking to win, at home to another struggler. Still, when you go behind twice, a draw isn't a bad result I suppose.

Come on you Baggies ^_^

Haha! :)

Yes I was there, looking at our fixtures we really did need a win and it feels like a missed opportunity, but Norwich are a good side.

Neither team can defend though!

I was texting my Baggie mate all through the game actually, he doesn't mind Wolves though, he hates the Villa

8 games seems to be consistent with previous cases

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/20/fa-statement-luis-suarez

It's an obvious statement but I'll say it anyway, I imagine the 5 suspended where due to readily admitting, apologising and doing community work. Which is obviously pretty much the exact opposite of the way he and LFC have acted.

Maybe thats cause he still feels like he actually didn't.

The biggest problem is the way the FA have handled it and with just giving him an 8 match ban and not releasing a report straight away has given the media and opposing fans all the fuel they need (see the Mirror back page picture in the Liverpiol thread)

Maybe thats cause he still feels like he actually didn't.

The biggest problem is the way the FA have handled it and with just giving him an 8 match ban and not releasing a report straight away has given the media and opposing fans all the fuel they need (see the Mirror back page picture in the Liverpiol thread)

It's all very confusing, I thought the argument was down to the interpretation of what was said rather than dispute as to whether anything was said at all. Hence the use of linguistic experts, consultation with outside bodies etc. I guess we'll conclusively know soon when the evidence is presented.

In regards to the delay would you rather he been charged and immediately put "on trial" (had the hearing, whatever the phrase), with no chance to review the evidence presented by the FA and have time to muster a defence to it? My understanding is the initial delay was down to internationals causing issues with interviewing players etc, and after he was charged it was so he could prepare a defence.

Also would it have been preferable for the decision to have been held off even longer? From memory it's pretty standard practice for them to announce the decision and at a later date reveal the background stuff. That's probably done so as to ensure it's legible, without typis etc and most importantly air tight in a legal sense.

Wouldn't it be better to have all that to hand and then announce the verdict though. Clearly announcing his ban first just adds more fuel to the "he's a racist" fire. People and the papers especially seem to be missing the part out about Evra and the FA saying they don't think he's a racist and this ban is for the missuse of a word in what can be construed as racist.

Surprising to see all of the forum's Liverpool fans jump to Suarez's defence.

To be fair, SMD said he never wants to see Suarez play in a Liverpool shirt again, now that he's been proven guilty. I assume he'll be sticking by that statement.

I haven't seen the evidence the FA have used yet though, have they released it?

Surprising to see rival fans take a holier than thou attitude :rolleyes:

Exacty. If Suarez can called him a black cunt or a ni**er I wouldn't be defending him at all. I just want to know the facts before I chastise him out the club. Like I said I think the whole handling of the situation hasn't been great and they seem to be making a statement rather than being fair. It's done now and nothing can be done about it ther than an appeal and that will reduce it to probs minimum of 6 if they allow it.

Best now to just wait for the report to be released.

I was listening to the radio last night and Graham Taylor was on air before the kick off of the Blackburn - Bolton game alluding to the fact that he had heard some rumours about Steve Kean which were as juicy as fuck but not fit for broadcast. I had a look around t'internet today and I have found this:

ROVERS THE TRUTH

I am very well connected with BRFC and have sat on this info for long

enough..you want to know whats going on at Ewood..here it is.

Steve KEAN (Minor 2nd team coach) is connected to a number of pretty

serious Glasgow criminals who had a vast amount of money which required

laundering.

(2-3million)

As an employee of the club KEAN was aware that ROVERS had been for sale

for quite some time with very little serious interest from anyone, he

knew the price and the money which would be required to purchase it. He

approached his Management Company KETARO (owned by ANDERSON) and put to

him a business plan for the purchase of the club, this plan would give

ANDERSON unofficial control of the club and enable him to 'legally'

perform the sort of transaction with existing and future players on his

books that got West Ham into trouble with the TEVEZ / MASSCARNO saga.

(the buying and selling of players being the only way to make money from

a Premier League club)

The consortium that KEAN suggested involved himself (representing the

the gangster money) being a shareholder and part owner in the little

scheme, KENTRO unable to purchase a Premier League club to to league

conflict rules, scouted around emerging markets (India / China / Brazil)

for a company to come in as the official new 'owners' capable of

satisfying the fit and proper test laid down by the league. VENKYS loved

the idea as they were keen to attack the European market and expand

beyond India. The cost to VENKYS for taking part in the venture was half

the purchase price of 43million.

(This 20 million was set aside anyway for marketing costs in breaking

into the European market so net coast to VENKYS being NIL) The remainder

of the cost was met by ANDERSON and a number of others in his syndicate

(including

KEAN) The scheme was sold to all involve as being 'win win' as the

purchase price was assured of being returned to all members of the

syndicate by TV money and in worst case relegation parachute payment

which totaled coincidentally approx 43 million)

KEAN had one condition for his involvement, the removal of BIG SAM and

his promotion to Club Manager. The removal of the established management

infrastructure was essential in helping the group keep the deal secret,

hence JOHN W and the rest were thanked for their services and shown the

door. The recent mortgage in Aug 2011 for 43million is assured against

the TV money for this year and any subsequent parachute payment from

relegation whether that come this year or in the future. This money has

been returned to all members of the syndicate to cover their initial

stake (hence the secrecy), thus any money made from here on in by way of

transfers, TV money, sale of the club being total profit to the group.

The Indians are basically passengers on this train and as now they have

their money back they are totally uninterested in the future of the

club, for them it remains what it always has been, a marketing tool.

ANDERSON is keen to continue to use the club as a feeder for his younger

less established players, he makes money by legitamatly charging

massively inflated agent fees for all players coming in and out, and in

the event of a player making a big breakthrough gains millions for the

syndicate in the sell on fee. KEAN..well he's just living the dream, he

would never have made a Premier League manager as long as he lived, the

best he could aspire to was being someones No 2 and that dream was

5-10years away. The new deal recently signed by KEAN is in recognition

and reward from all concerned as the others have all done very well out

of the deal to date (he obviously had to be rewarded as well) He is the

Manager and he's going nowhere, not because he's un-sackable but because

he's delivered what he said and not withstanding HE OWNS PART OF THE

CLUB.

(albeit via his gangster friends in Glasgow) All of his little trips to

INDIA are not about him answering to the INDIANS is about him telling

them what to do, when to speak and what to say, all stuff that needs to

be said in person at risk of emails or phone calls being recorded. The

whole thing would take a financial investigator years to uncover and is

more or less impossible to trace as the paper trail all runs though

VENKYS in INDIA. They have the club pretty much sawn up. The recent

interest from the Middle East is of no interest to the syndicate as they

only stand to gain a little over what they paid, the rewards from

keeping the club are much more to them than that..If this deal ever came

out..people will be going to jail..so don't expect it to anytime

soon..Oh what fun to be a Rovers fan.

Interesting story, a bit to Hollywood if you ask me, but where there is smoke there is fire. Dunno if I buy the gangsters or money laundering angle or that Steve Kean is doing anything illegal, but the Venky's point could well be true though. If they are in this to raise awareness of their brand then they have succeeded spectacularly and the circus surrounding Steve Kean has kept their name in the media much longer than if he had been a moderately successful manager who kept Blackburn in mid table. Every passing day with them in the news puts their brand further into the collective consciousness of British people and makes a successful introduction into the British market more likely. They are probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Apologies for the formatting of the quote, it is a straightforward copy and paste of somebody elses work. By the way, if you do a Google search for the text in that quote it is all over the internet, but the original source seems to be a comment made on (and since removed) from the Lancashire Telegraph's website on November 26th.

Cant believe the LFC official statement. Just basically saying 'well he did it too', like something a kid at school would say!! Also cant believe the club are sticking by Suarez like this, they are close to making this a PR disaster imho. Why didnt they just release a statement saying ok Suarez did say something which is culturally acceptable for his country of origin but is not acceptable in this country. Make the player apologise and fine him and pay money to kick racism charity or something similar. The constant jibes at Evra in the statement come across as ridiculous

I don't understand. Why does Suarez not face similar charges?

No one complained, except Evra. There's no evidence except Evra's say so. Not even his own team mates heard anything. Evra waited until after the game (not half time) to complain - and didn't goto the authorities.

The list goes on. It wouldn't fly against Suarez so Evra decided to kick up a stink elsewhere.

With it being a criminal (or civil?) case won't the burden of proof to find Terry guilty be far, far higher than that in the Suarez case? I would guess too high to get a conviction.

That's what the CPS is there to weigh up, the prospects for conviction. So they must think there is a case to answer that can be successfully prosecuted.