rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SMD

Football Thread 2011/2012

People get a bit obsessed sometimes with the fact that non-Champions are in the Champion's League. Maybe it'll be renamed the European Elite League or something and these people can sleep better.

Why do you want it shorter? The Champion's League is great. Football is corrupt as hell but it'll never stop the magic of that music (the fact you never seem to hear enough of it on Sky annoys me, I loved the long intro sequences on ITV when I was younger), and we'll always get great matches like last season's between Barcelona and Arsenal. People moan about the group stages all the time but England lost two (nearly three!) teams this year.

We can surely all agree the Europa league is rubbish though, and should be renamed The Poor-o-poo League.

The Europa League should just be a knock-out competition, with no Champions League losers who don't really care about it anyway. The UEFA Cup, in other words. That would go a long way to improving it.

• Upvote 3

The Europa League should just be a knock-out competition, with no Champions League losers who don't really care about it anyway. The UEFA Cup, in other words. That would go a long way to improving it.

I reckon it shouldn't even be 2 legged knockout. One leg and home or away is luck of the draw - ties played to extra time and penalties. No seeding.

Maybe the semi final could be two legs ala Carling Cup.

• Upvote 1

Why do you want it shorter? The Champion's League is great. Football is corrupt as hell but it'll never stop the magic of that music (the fact you never seem to hear enough of it on Sky annoys me, I loved the long intro sequences on ITV when I was younger), and we'll always get great matches like last season's between Barcelona and Arsenal. People moan about the group stages all the time but England lost two (nearly three!) teams this year.

I remember when i was younger watching the champs league and getting way too excited over that music that i went over to my dad and screeched along to it in his face... and he kicked me in the balls :(

• Upvote 3

I reckon it shouldn't even be 2 legged knockout. One leg and home or away is luck of the draw - ties played to extra time and penalties. No seeding.

Maybe the semi final could be two legs ala Carling Cup.

The winner should get a Champions League slot. That'd make it a cracking knock out cup with none of the league bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the problem with the competition is that going on a run in it is an inconvenience for many sides, aside from their coefficient there's not much benefit to it. If there was a payoff like the last 8 going into qualifying for the CL, and the final 2 going into the group stages, clubs might make it more of a priority.

Letting clubs who get knocked out of the CL into the EL is supposed to give a financial cushion isn't it? Otherwise teams might find themselves with far fewer games scheduled that season, and unable to cope with the shortfall in gate receipts and TV money. It would probably a more exciting competition if it stood on its own though, and clubs shouldn't bet everything on getting to the knockouts anyway.

I agree, but I UEFA will argue it adds glamour. Most years it doesnt, but I guess with clubs like Manchester United, Manchester City, Valencia and Ajax dropping into the Europa League this season then they might have a point this season.

I'm still not sure if there is a solution to European football that will please everybody. Saying the Champions League should be for champions only is all well and good but the organisers want to keep it as the #1 competition and not go back to the days of the 80s and 90s when it was often upstaged by the UEFA cup.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's turning into an interesting season, that's for sure.

United look quite fragile suddenly, which seems mad after the beginning of the season. With their injury issues, they could really struggle.

Do people think there is any chance they will miss out on the top 4 finish? They've got a healthy lead over Arsenal and Newcastle but their recent form has been poor, whilst the results have been good. A few defeats could let Arsenal back in. Spurs have a first team to match most teams (other than Man City).

It's turning into an interesting season, that's for sure.

United look quite fragile suddenly, which seems mad after the beginning of the season. With their injury issues, they could really struggle.

Do people think there is any chance they will miss out on the top 4 finish? They've got a healthy lead over Arsenal and Newcastle but their recent form has been poor, whilst the results have been good. A few defeats could let Arsenal back in. Spurs have a first team to match most teams (other than Man City).

That's key, and probably the reason they'll be challenging. I'd love them to finish mid-table though ;)

City aside we still have pretty much the best squad. Tottenham have been brilliant, and if they maintain their form could push us down to third, but that will be very difficult for them to do. Falling out of the top four? Nope, can't see that happening. As Nayson says if things look even worse by January, you'd presume new players will be brought in.

• Downvote 3

I agree, but I UEFA will argue it adds glamour. Most years it doesnt, but I guess with clubs like Manchester United, Manchester City, Valencia and Ajax dropping into the Europa League this season then they might have a point this season.

I'm still not sure if there is a solution to European football that will please everybody. Saying the Champions League should be for champions only is all well and good but the organisers want to keep it as the #1 competition and not go back to the days of the 80s and 90s when it was often upstaged by the UEFA cup.

What years would you say that the European Cup was upstaged by the UEFA Cup?

I wouldn't call that crazy. Pretty unlikely perhaps, but far from crazy. City's squad always look a couple of bad losses in a row or a couple of big ego arguments away from falling apart at any moment. They may be technically amazing but they're human. Mancini often doesn't appear to have the respect of his players. You don't see United's players huffing and puffing after getting subbed, they're too scared to. None of the other sides have Alex Ferguson who has proven again and again that he's the best in the league. This situation seems to happen at some point every season. "United's reign is over" etc. I think it was last season where no-one tipped them for the title. My brother is putting them 5th which is laughable really.

I wouldn't call that crazy. City's squad look a couple of bad losses in a row or a couple of big ego arguments away from falling apart at any moment. They may be technically amazing but they're human. None of the other sides have Alex Ferguson who has proven again and again that he's the best in the league. This situation seems to happen at some point every season. "United's reign is over" etc. I think it was last season where no-one tipped them for the title.

Amazing as it seems now, Chelsea stated last season like, well like Man City. OK perhaps not quite as good or for as long but they were certainly top for a good while at the start. Coming off the back of the double in the previous year it seemed they were ready to "take over". Seems like a lifetime away now.

It seems odd that Sir Alex has had to back track on his comments which echo what everyone else thinks. It is little more than a punishment and the competition itself would be better off without both Manchester clubs' reserves participating in it.

As for Platini reacting to the comments by saying 'the world does not revolve around England', it would appear once again that it kinda does for him.

• Downvote 4

That would work, but I think we all know that the top teams that have fallen into it will be fielding weakened teams whilst concentrating on thier league. So you have mid-range teams fighting hard and there on merit vs weak teams who are there because they failed and probably don't want to be there anyway.

That would work, but I think we all know that the top teams that have fallen into it will be fielding weakened teams whilst concentrating on thier league. So you have mid-range teams fighting hard and there on merit vs weak teams who are there because they failed and probably don't want to be there anyway.

The top teams have been able to field weakened teams in all but the last 8 for the last few years anyway. It's ridiculous really, they should maybe consider moving to the sort of system used in the Heineken Cup where only first place is guaranteed to go through and then x number of best 2nd place finishers.

What years would you say that the European Cup was upstaged by the UEFA Cup?

Any year an Eastern European club made the final. The finals with Bucharest and Red Star were bloody awful.

EDIT: And the first European match I can remember watching was Dundee United vs IFK Gothenburg (I think) that was UEFA Cup semis in the mid-80s wasn't it?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Any year an Eastern European club made the final. The finals with Bucharest and Red Star were bloody awful.

EDIT: And the first European match I can remember watching was Dundee United vs IFK Gothenburg (I think) that was UEFA Cup semis in the mid-80s wasn't it?

I know the final was poor but that Red Star team had great players, Red Star getting to the final didnt mean the European cup was weak that year.

The first one I watched was the final of the European Cup in 1985. My family were on holiday at Butlins in Minehead. The game was the first evening game on TV I was allowed to watch (I was nine at the time). My Mum took my sister off to watch some rubbish Red Coat show and me and my Dad stayed in the chalet to watch the game. She came back at about 10pm and asked what the score was.... :facepalm:

This is me on that same holiday... like a boss

2mwti5f.jpg

• Upvote 3