rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SMD

Football Thread 2011/2012

How long is Ronaldo's neck?

_57129565_ballong.jpg

For three of the greatest footballers in the world and questionably ever, they all look like really shit waiters.

• Upvote 3

Liverpool were OK last night but they've got major problems in midfield with those injuries to Lucas and Gerrard. As much as I like watching Charlie Adam, he cannot carry the entire midfield. Up front, they looked poor and Andy Carrol's clumsy target man role was filled better by Peter Crouch; I have no idea why they bought Carrol for so much money when they really didn't need him after buying Suarez. Suarez spent most of the first and second half trying to get Hangeland sent off instead of actually getting into space and trying to score; he's a frustrating player to watch as he has so much talent but it's tarnished with his theatrics and his how dare you come near me arrogance... it's like defenders aren't even allowed to touch him. I expect Liverpool to end the season in the top 10 but in comparison to Spurs, Arsenal and even a tired looking Chelsea side, they'll struggle to get above any of them. Having said that, they didn't deserve to lose last night. As for the red card:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15914767.stm

"Jay Spearing won the ball, but upset the referee with the follow-up. Sometimes it's a red, sometimes it's not."

He followed through. Wilkins got it spot on really when he commented that 20 years ago, that kind of challenge would have been applauded.

If Man City continue their current form, they'll end up with over 100 points at the end of the season. I cannot see anyone beating them and it's quite scary that if Mancini feels there's a weakness in the side, he can spend millions again in January.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just saw the Spearing challenge. He got the ball first but the follow through was pretty wreckless. A red I think. I don't think you can hide behind "I got the ball" if you then go on to land on a player's shin with your foot at 100mph. Getting the ball does not mean you can tackle like a maniac and to hell with anyone that gets in your way.

Probably true that 20 years ago it wouldn't have been a red but that doesn't really matter. Football has changed.

• Upvote 2

This might be a little off-topic (sorry!), but what streaming site/service would you guys recommend to watch the Madrid-Barcelona game this weekend?

I'm on a Mac, and really don't want to go into the hassle of installing Windows on Boot Camp or whatever just so I can have the pleasure of struggling to find a decent stream on Sopcast, etc.

I'd be willing to pay for a good, reliable feed.

Thanks guys!

This might be a little off-topic (sorry!), but what streaming site/service would you guys recommend to watch the Madrid-Barcelona game this weekend?

I'm on a Mac, and really don't want to go into the hassle of installing Windows on Boot Camp or whatever just so I can have the pleasure of struggling to find a decent stream on Sopcast, etc.

I'd be willing to pay for a good, reliable feed.

Thanks guys!

Freefootball.org appears to be the spiritual successor to Myp2p.eu. Seems to come up trumps for every game I've wanted to watch this season.

• Upvote 1

Freefootball.org seems to be the spiritual successor to Myp2p.eu. Seems to come up trumps for every game I've wanted to watch this season.

Bookmarked, thanks! Checking out Veetle at the moment. The streams seem really smooth, but I guess they slow down to a crawl during live games?

Just saw the Spearing challenge. He got the ball first but the follow through was pretty wreckless. A red I think. I don't think you can hide behind "I got the ball" if you then go on to land on a player's shin with your foot at 100mph. Getting the ball does not mean you can tackle like a maniac and to hell with anyone that gets in your way.

Probably true that 20 years ago it wouldn't have been a red but that doesn't really matter. Football has changed.

Absolutely, a foul is a foul if the referee deems it to be reckless, careless or made with excessive force. Getting the ball first it doesnt matter if you clean out the player in possession too. I am glad it is a red card these days even if it wasnt twenty years ago, as sending players who go into a tackle at 1000mph off means that there is no longer a license to kick the shit out of players who are better than you. Just look at the career of players like Marco Van Basten, Ronaldo (Brazilian version) and even Michael Owen. They might have been able to replicate the form of their early twenties later on in there careers if they had been given the protection from cloggers than they deserved.

Bookmarked, thanks! Checking out Veetle at the moment. The streams seem really smooth, but I guess they slow down to a crawl during live games?

No, Veetle's pretty good (until someone claims copyright, at least), although I haven't used it in a while.

Absolutely, a foul is a foul if the referee deems it to be reckless, careless or made with excessive force. Getting the ball first it doesnt matter if you clean out the player in possession too. I am glad it is a red card these days even if it wasnt twenty years ago, as sending players who go into a tackle at 1000mph off means that there is no longer a license to kick the shit out of players who are better than you.

I totally agree.

Dalglish on Sky just now, says that Spearing got the ball and it wasn't his fault that Dembele was standing there :lol: .

Presumably everyone was similarly up in arms when Lukaku went through Henderson and got a yellow for his troubles.

Seems like 20 years ago was just last week.

• Downvote 3

Presumably everyone was similarly up in arms when Lukaku went through Henderson and got a yellow for his troubles.

Seems like 20 years ago was just last week.

I didn't see that. Link?

I'm not up in arms, I just think players have to take responsibility and "I got the ball" is no defence. These are fast, strong 15-stone bullets flying through the air and I would rather a few over-harsh red cards than players legs being broken or being kicked into early retirement as mentioned above.

I didn't see that. Link?

I'm not up in arms, I just think players have to take responsibility and "I got the ball" is no defence. These are fast, strong 15-stone bullets flying through the air and I would rather a few over-harsh red cards than players legs being broken or being kicked into early retirement as mentioned above.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/30/romelu-lukaku-escape-fa-sanction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jii97H5Svs

around the 5 minute mark.

Why would you compare Spearings tackle to Lukaku's though? The latter is the sort of tackle we see get red week in week out as long as the ref sees it. The whole reason why the Spearing tackle has caused so much debate is because it isnt the sort of tackle that gets red very often, in fact I cant even think off hand of another similar case in the Premiership.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's the thing. What standards do you go by? I was livid that Spearing's tackle was considered a red because so many referees let them go. If every single tackle like that was a red then you'd get no complaints. Just like Wheater's red at the weekend was utterly ridiculous, especially since Luiz wasn't sent off just hours earlier.

Because it was the televised game, Spearing's challenge gets more airtime than Lukaku's that wasn't on telly at all in this country.

Don't tackle dangerously and you won't get sent off. If you do tackle dangerously you run the risk.

There is no way anyone thinks that tackle is acceptable, so to moan he shouldn't have been sent off if Lukaku got lucky and didn't, is pretty poor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1