IGNORED

Devil May Cry HD Collection - 360/PS3

The Sarge

As previously mentioned, I've never played these before, but fuck me DMC is amazing! :wub:

It's so nice to find something a bit challenging, y'know? Think I might leave a little space between 1 and 3 as I wouldn't want to overindulge, but it's taking every bit of will power not to just fire it up and have a look now!

HMV didnt sell this...Tesco didnt sell it....(altho they had silent hill for 19,99, ugh), Thank god for grainger games.

Or the Internet. Increasingly it's the only way to be sure of getting what you want. Still. Arrived from Zavvi this morning, only £21. Just in time for a weeks holiday sans PS3. Bum.

So with all this talk of playing 1 and then 3 has anyone actually sat down and played 2 at all in the collection ? :D I mean, I'll probably do the same when I get the collection or maybe just have a quick look at 2 but was wondering if anyone actually played the whole thing.

Shopto have plenty of stock of this it seems at £23.86 or something - it has held up amazingly well hasn't it? Playing 1 and loving the challenge - after Ninja Gaiden 3 which it seemed you could play blindfolded with 1 combo this is a proper challenge.

• 5 years later...

Devil May Cry HD collection coming to most current platforms.  No Switch version announced.

Devil May Cry HD Collection, coming to PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 13, 2018 both digitally and at retail for $29.99.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2017/12/07/devil-may-cry-hd-collection-coming-to-pc-ps4-and-xbox-one-on-march-13-2018

4 minutes ago, simms said:

Devil May Cry HD collection coming to most current platforms.  No Switch version announced.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2017/12/07/devil-may-cry-hd-collection-coming-to-pc-ps4-and-xbox-one-on-march-13-2018

Jeez Capcom how difficult is it to take money lying on the floor? Crazy this and Okami aren’t Switch bound, would buy them both in a second

Aspects of the control system haven’t aged well.  the lock on system and some moves only being doable with lock on (like evasive side roll) needs some kind of improvement.  It’s clunky and you are holding a lot of buttons down at the same time sometimes.

DMC (the newest game) improved this situation somewhat. 

The combat especially in DMC 3 is timeless though.

• 4 years later...

I've recently started playing DmC1 and Christ alive, it's hard! I'm at the boss guy who came through the mirror on chapter 4 and I just constantly get smashed to bits by him. I can't figure out any way of blocking or regenerating my health. Does anyone have tips for me?

5 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I've recently started playing DmC1 and Christ alive, it's hard! I'm at the boss guy who came through the mirror on chapter 4 and I just constantly get smashed to bits by him. I can't figure out any way of blocking or regenerating my health. Does anyone have tips for me?

Can you stock up on health potions before going back into the fight? I remember them being quite essential on DMC1 but progressively less necessary as the games evolved and Dante and co were given more ways to fight, evade, etc. Nero (I think that's who you are fighting) will have very specific windows where you should attack him otherwise just stay the fuck away, so figure out what these windows / stances are and exploit them.

10 hours ago, carlospie said:

DMC is so hard. I remember finishing it as a teen, tried playing it last year and couldn't even best the spider.

That spider was fucking solid. It took me a while. The guy I'm stuck on isn't much further on than that.

The problem I found going back to DMC1 was trying to erase default responses to things because DMC1 Dante simply wasn't capable of doing the things that DMC3 and beyond DMC characters were. Unlearning and then being overly disciplined in how you re-learn the gameplay layered onto the game already being one of the toughest of its time. Madness :D the camera being that locked in Resident Evil style was a big issue but like the point above I cant remember if they tweaked that in the HD release.

It looks like Devil May Cry 1 is another victim of Capcom USA fucking up the game by making it arbitrarily harder than it should be - 

This is also the case with DMC3. 
A HUGE part of DMC3 is basically getting better at the game. If you die in the Japanese version of 3, you restart at the start of the room you were last in. If you die in the USA version, you start right back at the start of the level. The game was never designed for this. 

I was wise to it all back in the days when I used to haunt ntsc-uk, and Saurian would provide a lot of guidance on how to get the most from the game. I ended up importing the Japanese versions of both DMC3 and DMC3:SE for these reasons. 

I cant even remember how death was handled in all the versions I played @Kevvy Metal but I certainly don't recall going back to the start of a room at any point. Does that mean I always played it the way it actually wasn't meant to be played? :lol:

DMC3 original was the point at which I just stopped wasting orbs on health and DT potions, instead focusing everything on increasing the bars and unlocking moves. After the first playthrough it became about doing it on the health you had (apart from mid-battle drops of course) and continually better at not getting hit for every :) That's been the case for every DMC since, but if I was to go back to DMC1 now with that approach I would get constantly obliterated until I gave up and went back to DMC 3 or 5.

While we are on the topic actually, the special edition of 5 is an incredible title especially running on the PS5 (no idea about Xbox) so anyone who hasn't yet tried it, do it!

24 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I cant even remember how death was handled in all the versions I played @Kevvy Metal but I certainly don't recall going back to the start of a room at any point. Does that mean I always played it the way it actually wasn't meant to be played? :lol:

Kinda yeah! The Japanese version enable you to pick your favourite room and practise against certain enemies over and over. After all they're all just digital punching bags to enable Dante to do super cool stylish action. 

The spider room was a particular favourite. I'd spend evenings just practising Royal-Guard parry timing's against them.

The resurrection orb system was changed too. 
Japanese version - if you used an orb on death you would instantly res right there. 
USA version - if you used an orb on death you would res at the start of the room, much like any normal death in the Japanese version. 

If I recall, the "Special Edition" version let you select which system version you wanted. They were the Gold or Yellow orbs. All this is off the top of my head.