rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

The Next Gen consoles

As long as they don't gimp the full fat version, I'm fine with that.

I think very strongly that they should not have gimped versions.

Devs head's must have exploded back in 2005 when they found out they'd have to design games around there being a HDD present and there not being a HDD present as well.

It's stupid. Give the devs one technical spec to full back on. Just change stuff like HDD size, whether Kinect is bundled etc.

That's utterly bizarre.

From the leaks, it would be a small device aimed at Kinect and app usage like Netflix etc, plus downloadable games. I can see what market they want for it, maybe they will include a disc drive but I doubt they would, as it would have to be blu ray and it would confuse the average joe who bought it, who wonders why the full fat games won't work on it.

In a way, leaving out the optical drive makes it clear cut -- for devs and users -- what the machine can and can't do. No devs would need to jump around like they did for the HDD on the 360.

Ain't no way the next gen consoles won't have optical drives. Well, some of them, as per the last few posts. Too many people across too much of this planet have too little bandwidth.

Or don't connect them to the web at all! Of course the next gen will use them. But the disc in a box thing seems weird to me now, even though I regularly partake. It's like renting videos from Blockbuster or having people mail you brochures for things. Antiquated!

Yep, because now PC games are download there's no PC piracy at all!

PC disc in a box worked out just fine for 25 years. PC moved first towards digital because open platform, generally PC gamers had better connections, Steam made the prices compelling (sometimes VERY compelling), there's little danger of losing stuff because backup is easy etc etc.

Consoles are behind because some or all of these aren't applying to that market.

I think very strongly that they should not have gimped versions.

Devs head's must have exploded back in 2005 when they found out they'd have to design games around there being a HDD present and there not being a HDD present as well.

It's stupid. Give the devs one technical spec to full back on. Just change stuff like HDD size, whether Kinect is bundled etc.

I think it's fair to say that most devs just flat-out ignored the benefits a HDD-equipped 360 could bring.

Yep, because now PC games are download there's no PC piracy at all!

PC disc in a box worked out just fine for 25 years. PC moved first towards digital because open platform, generally PC gamers had better connections, Steam made the prices compelling (sometimes VERY compelling), there's little danger of losing stuff because backup is easy etc etc.

Consoles are behind because some or all of these aren't applying to that market.

that market that didn't exist for 25 years, you mean?

nice strawman!

• Downvote 1

Analysts are often off with their predictions, but they are sometimes privy to information before the press. As such here's Baird Equity Research's take on the next PlayStation and Xbox, post CES.

The key points:

• Both to be revealed prior to E3.
  • Both aiming for the $400 mark.
  • PS4 in October, production willing.
  • Next Xbox in November.

The pre-E3 reveals gels with what we're hearing from elsewhere; recently the VP of Sony Japan suggested a big PlayStation announcement in May/June, for instance.

I can believe the target price given the shift to more off-the-shelf components. Also Microsoft are probably pretty comfortable taking a loss on the hardware whilst Sony likely designed the machine with a price in mind, like the Vita.

I'd say Sony launching first, even by a month, would be beneficial to me insofar as they'd get to cash in on the hunger for new hardware. You have to imagine stock will be limited, though, so the material gain would probably be negligible; the perceived demand would be the real positive. The prediction is probably in the context of America, too; I could see the machine not hitting Europe until early 2014.

that market that didn't exist for 25 years, you mean?

nice strawman!

The PC as we know it and its first boxed games was 1982. Steam first started to get big 3rd party publishers in 2007.

25 years.

The prediction is probably in the context of America, too; I could see the machine not hitting Europe until early 2014.

I thought by 2013 we are passed the point of staggered launches like the old days, I do not want to wait 6 months. I'll be importing a PS4 if that is the case, like the PS3, but would wait for the Euro Loop probably. I just don't see it happening though.

With PS+, I don't know if I'd every buy a game for the playstation ever again... If I can get over the 'must have day one'... and just wait a bit and play all the great games I've missed.

It's a great service and really puts XBL to shame.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

With PS+, I don't know if I'd every buy a game for the playstation ever again... If I can get over the 'must have day one'... and just wait a bit and play all the great games I've missed.

It's a great service and really puts XBL to shame.

For me XBL succeeds in getting more people involved in the games online more than PSN/PS3 ever has, the PS3 has been since launch still pointed more towards offline gaming IMO. Yes you get more bang for your buck that is entirely true but I still find myself paying for and using XBL.

The PS+ scheme has succeeded in being an add on to PSN that gives a sense of community which it always lacked from day one. I agree its a good service and all but as a whole PSN needs to become more like XBL than the opposite to be as much of a success.

If with the next Playstation PS+ remains and PSN evolves into more in the way of XBL it could become the better system based on this alone (plus a pad redesign is a must but that's a bit OT to what we are talking about).

Even PC download stuff has boxes, they just don't do anything beyond being a token that you can buy with cash and redeem online.

Stick the disc in and it won't install and instead drags 9GB down from Steam.

Just a little note here: I got my DVD-copy of Dallout: New Vegas to install from da disc. And then get the updates on-line. So unless they removed this feature it should be something which a man can do.

Oh man, next Christmas: Orbis/PS4, Durago/Loop, Oculus Rift consumer version should be out, and hopefully some nice Ninty titles like Mario Kart/F-Zero/Wave Race (I can dream on those last two). Bad luck wallet.

For me XBL succeeds in getting more people involved in the games online more than PSN/PS3 ever has, the PS3 has been since launch still pointed more towards offline gaming IMO. Yes you get more bang for your buck that is entirely true but I still find myself paying for and using XBL.

The PS+ scheme has succeeded in being an add on to PSN that gives a sense of community which it always lacked from day one. I agree its a good service and all but as a whole PSN needs to become more like XBL than the opposite to be as much of a success.

If with the next Playstation PS+ remains and PSN evolves into more in the way of XBL it could become the better system based on this alone (plus a pad redesign is a must but that's a bit OT to what we are talking about).

See - I'm the opposite... XBL to me is completely pointless and feels like an utter con.

What both the XBL and PSN have though - are rubbish interfaces for finding and selecting movies to watch or music to listen to. I want a spotify app goddamit, but that's never going to happen. Hopefully we'll get a spotify app on the WiiU...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

Tell 'em Scott! The 3DS eSop is the shining beacon in e-commerce for all to follow.

Wait, Live a con? How? Because you don't like the interface? Or is it all the great games on there? Or that you have a central account that keeps track of everything and lets you move your shit to a new console if you want? I can see how that must be terribly annoying.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

If Orbis/Durango launch this year, what will they be launching with? What's going to drive the sales of them? What big games are going to launch alongside them? Are we going to get something out of leftfield like ZombiU? Or are we going to get an Uncharted game and Halo: The Intervening Years?

See - I'm the opposite... XBL to me is completely pointless and feels like an utter con.

What both the XBL and PSN have though - are rubbish interfaces for finding and selecting movies to watch or music to listen to. I want a spotify app goddamit, but that's never going to happen. Hopefully we'll get a spotify app on the WiiU...

I have both PS Plus and Xbox Live. One I pay for because I have no other option. The other I pay for because it's fucking awesome value for money, rubbish inteface or not.
  • Upvote 2

If Orbis/Durango launch this year, what will they be launching with? What's going to drive the sales of them? What big games are going to launch alongside them? Are we going to get something out of leftfield like ZombiU? Or are we going to get an Uncharted game and Halo: The Intervening Years?

Forza Motorsport 5 is a pretty safe bet for showcasing the graffix powah.